• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Farewell GG

I agree with the OP.

Trouble is now you have a group of armchair fans who continually bang on about the same stuff and it gets boring and winds people up. I dont mind anyone giving an opinion, but if you are going to ignore replies (even ones that prove you wrong) and then mention the same thing the next day and ignore the replies again, whats the point ?

It would be ok if these people had proven to be spot on, but continually they get stuff wrong and feel the need to keep mentioning it. An example would be Defoe - been great for Spurs, bangs in the goals, great movement but there is a set of posters who daily feel the need to try and convince the world he is brick and that he is on the list of deadwood to be sold. It would be boring if they had a point, but quite clearly whatever criteria you use to judge a striker, Defoe will always come out as a top premier league player.

And probably the wrong thread for this, but while we are moaning... the other thing happening on this board is "one thread for a million slightly related subjects" ... the subject is the most import thing, it is what gets people into the thread and reading it. For example "Music thread" ... you arent going to go through 100 pages to see if someone has talked about a particular band, music covers so many different things that it would be far easier to have separate threads so you just discuss the bits you are interested in. Will get more people posting and you dont have to read the brick you dont care about. It makes sense for some things to have a big thread, but if a topic within the big thread is likely to be discussed at length then it should have its own thread. I know I used a random forum topic as an example but the same thing happens on SN&V, one thread where you dont really know what is being discussed unless you read through loads of old posts until you get to something new.[/QUOTE]

Marky won't like this :-k

But what rules Crawley. Seriously, this actually needs debating. You guys do a good job, but a few of you are susceptible to mission creep. You're here to keep things cordial, not "on track" ;)

What would you like to see?

I think that one of the issues with separate threads is that you often get the same arguments, with the same people taking part, going on in several different threads at the same time.

I'm not sure what the solution is and I l don't think that there is an answer that would keep everyone happy.

Perhaps if the macarons were told to take a hike, the remainder would behave better towards one another.

Sadly, they are protected and encouraged.

IMHO

I think that one of the issues with separate threads is that you often get the same arguments, with the same people taking part, going on in several different threads at the same time.

I'm not sure what the solution is and I l don't think that there is an answer that would keep everyone happy.

Or the exact same questions are asked or arguments raised every couple of weeks because the previous thread is now on page two.

The solution isn't to close valid threads because idiots can't stop arguing across them, it's ruined a great part of the enjoyment of this forum and made it stale. It isn't any of your jobs to say what makes a valid and interesting thread. If the thread is of no interest it will be on page two within half a day anyway.

The infraction system is in place now to let people cool their heels. Moderation of what threads people are allowed to start and second guessing what is valid and interesting is well past remit. No offence meant to anyone, it just seems to have evolved that way over the last 12-18 months and, frankly, it makes SN&V about as enjoyable brain surgery.

It's addictive, kinda like drugs. You know it's bad for you, but you just can't help yourself.

It strikes me that the topics that work well when merged into large threads are those where there is only a page or less per day to deal with. The stadium thread, the AVB formation/tactics thread and others work well, with generally decent discussions that progress slowly with occasional bursts of activity. Those interested can keep up easily and those not can steer clear.

The problem with the transfer thread is that there is so much material on so many different subtopics, with different appeal to different posters. It has something for everyone but also, and here's the problem, something for everyone not to like. A daily visit would require half an hour to read through and there are bound to be posts that will be irritating on each visit and there is no way to preselect interesting and irritating.

To be manageable it needs to be split into threads on different topics, but its not so easy to see what they are. The simple split tried before into ITK and other transfer stuff created two threads without clear boundaries and both still suffered from large volume. The Modric thread was an obvious one to split off and that works well. Too much splitting and there will be too much overlap and probably the need for a subforum. I think the nature of the beast is that there is no solution that will satisfy the majority. You can satisfy the extreme lumpers or extreme splitters but most won't like either of those solutions.

Last edited:
In general, an online forum like GG will often attract the most opinionated people, who are happy to hide behind a made up name and an avatar, which has no bearing on their own private personality. They will then post the most vitriolic, banal post's just to illicit a response to make them feel important.

I must admit, that I treat GG like a TV. Sometimes, I will find a post, or a thread which intrigues me and I will explore other pages to see where the "journey" takes me.

Sometimes, I will read a post which is so inspirational and/or well reasoned that it reaffirms my belief that most Spurs fans are "proper" football fans.

When the "idiots" are on, I reach for the off switch to my computer and I return to the "real" world.

Perhaps we can have a thread names 'Suggestions Box'?

That may help in terms of how people feel about things such as threads.

Unfortunately though we can't traffic the type of people signing up but the rules are in place for those who are unruley.

The solution isn't to close valid threads because idiots can't stop arguing across them, it's ruined a great part of the enjoyment of this forum and made it stale. It isn't any of your jobs to say what makes a valid and interesting thread. If the thread is of no interest it will be on page two within half a day anyway.

The infraction system is in place now to let people cool their heels. Moderation of what threads people are allowed to start and second guessing what is valid and interesting is well past remit. No offence meant to anyone, it just seems to have evolved that way over the last 12-18 months and, frankly, it makes SN&V about as enjoyable brain surgery.

It is not very easy (and possibly undesirable) to use the infraction system for someone posting the same argument or having the same discussion across multiple threads. It would be very difficult to identify the perpetrator and half of us would be infected within a week.

For what it is worth, I haven't seen a thread be merged for a while. We had a real problem towards the end of last season where we had a lot of threads started on the same or very similar topics. How many Redknapp threads can one board take?

I merged the 'Parker - -Injured' thread with the previous thread made about his injury, which contained pretty much the exact same info that's now being rehashed in the media.

Personally, I've found this summer's GG activity highly frustrating as a few seem to want to derail, and re-ignite, bitter discussions at every turn. My personal feeling is that once the season starts things will settle down BUT really, in the end it comes down to a bit of self-policing and self responsibility. Everyone complains about mods yet no-one is prepared to step up and politely suggest that certain topics/posts could be calmed down. It's a great shame that healthy debate seems to always become personal, and I believe if just a few more people stepped up and politely suggested a 'cool it' now and again, we would really see who's here simply to argue and be an arsehole versus people who have occasionally got lost in the heat of a debate (happens to us all!)...this, in turn, would see less mod action become necessary, and hopefully keep a few more of the old guard who get switched off to GG.

Personally, I've found this summer's GG activity highly frustrating as a few seem to want to derail, and re-ignite, bitter discussions at every turn. My personal feeling is that once the season starts things will settle down BUT really, in the end it comes down to a bit of self-policing and self responsibility. Everyone complains about mods yet no-one is prepared to step up and politely suggest that certain topics/posts could be calmed down. It's a great shame that healthy debate seems to always become personal, and I believe if just a few more people stepped up and politely suggested a 'cool it' now and again, we would really see who's here simply to argue and be an arsehole versus people who have occasionally got lost in the heat of a debate (happens to us all!)...this, in turn, would see less mod action become necessary, and hopefully keep a few more of the old guard who get switched off to GG.

Agreed. What's really the fun in dissecting others' posts to find something that is "wrong"? Not every post made is carefully thought through and cross checked against previous posts to prevent anything remotely contradictory.

It is not very easy (and possibly undesirable) to use the infraction system for someone posting the same argument or having the same discussion across multiple threads. It would be very difficult to identify the perpetrator and half of us would be infected within a week.

For what it is worth, I haven't seen a thread be merged for a while. We had a real problem towards the end of last season where we had a lot of threads started on the same or very similar topics. How many Redknapp threads can one board take?

No it's not, there's one particular character who is a dreadful poster who's ruined the board in my opinion. His posts are so repetative and single track, posted in a confrontational manner that they amount to little more than spam.

We used to have some fantastic posters in random, yourself and Aldo spring to mind, who hardly ever seem to post there nowadays in comparison to the past. I can't say it's in response to his drivel but the board is lesser for it.

The problem as i see it is some posters seem to remember every single thing another poster has posted and you end up with a poster v poster debate going on over 2 or 3 years that's completely boring to every single other person on here.
I always like the cynical tone of the place but some posters are way too familiar and obsessed with each other.

The problem as i see it is some posters seem to remember every single thing another poster has posted and you end up with a poster v poster debate going on over 2 or 3 years that's completely boring to every single other person on here.
I always like the cynical tone of the place but some posters are way too familiar and obsessed with each other.

Spot on mate it's boring.

Good point. Unfortunately, there's some posters who want to carry the arguement on even if you decide it would be best to bow out/agree to disagree, that's when this place becomes frustrating.

The biggest shame is that some of the best posters do not post as often as they used to, some of them hardly ever post.

Last edited:
Back