• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Fair play Daniel Levy

We won't move forward you're right.

When the top clubs in the league have either a system in place or a load of money in the bank, they'll move forward. We have neither. We'll stand still and over achieve like the club has always done.

:lol: over achieve??? are you kidding? we are achieving what can only be expected

Yep, we'll never move on with him in charge.. Said that years ago though and I am still here saying the same things over and over again..

Sad thing is as soon as he haggles over 500k in next window and gets his own way we'll have idiots making posters up about about how's he's 'levyed' someone or some other utter tosh. Absolute joke of a man. 18 months ago we were genuine title contenders but levy got greedy.

Yep, sad days ahead.

doesnt matter who the manager is......Levy will always fcuk it up somehow, either by picking the wrong guy in the first place, or by pulling the trigger too soon....the guy is a prize numpty

doesnt matter who the manager is......Levy will always fcuk it up somehow, either by picking the wrong guy in the first place, or by pulling the trigger too soon....the guy is a prize numpty

Or by selling our best players summer after summer after summer. The man is a crook!

I don't know if it has been discussed. Real world life got in the way of me spending way too much time on here the last couple of days, but I think the way the sacking of AVB happened was quite telling.

It has been quite widely reported that AVB and Levy met first on the Sunday and then on Monday morning for separate meetings before the conclusion was reached that AVB would go.

In this case I don't think it was a case of Levy "pulling the trigger", if that was what happened AVB would have been done on the Sunday. It seems likely that, as has been speculated some places, that there were internal conflicts and issues that played a big part. I think that if AVB had wanted to stay on, or wanted it badly enough, and he had been willing to make some changes in his own attitude internally at the club that an agreement could have been reached where he was given more time. As it were I'm thinking that AVB more or less said "my way or the highway" and Levy felt that the combination of poor performances, lacking results and internal conflicts was too much. He might even have given AVB an ultimatum and asked him to either change or leave.

In this case I don't think it was a case of Levy "pulling the trigger", if that was what happened AVB would have been done on the Sunday. It seems likely that, as has been speculated some places, that there were internal conflicts and issues that played a big part. I think that if AVB had wanted to stay on, or wanted it badly enough, and he had been willing to make some changes in his own attitude internally at the club that an agreement could have been reached where he was given more time. As it were I'm thinking that AVB more or less said "my way or the highway" and Levy felt that the combination of poor performances, lacking results and internal conflicts was too much. He might even have given AVB an ultimatum and asked him to either change or leave.

Yeah, interesting point and I think broadly speaking you might well be right. There was also this Telegraph story:

Technically he was not sacked and, in truth, the sense around Villas-Boas was that he wanted to go and was relieved it was over...

...The 6-0 defeat by Emirates Marketing Project began to expose the tension further, with Villas-Boas believing that if he had then lost to Manchester United, Levy might want to pull the trigger.

By now, he wanted to go. Villas-Boas did not appear a happy figure on the touchline and his goal celebrations did not possess the usual exuberance.

Could he turn things around and see through December? The games were coming thick and fast and that helped, but there was an increasing sense from those close to Villas-Boas that, come what may, this would be his last season at Spurs. In the end he did not make it to the midway point of the campaign.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...ger-Andre-Villas-Boas-had-become-distant.html

That's the Telegraph not the Daily Star, so I suspect there are reasonable sources here, and it just has a ring of truth to it. Also, the fact this story was written the evening of AVB's sacking suggests the journalist had prior knowledge about difficulties behind the scenes. Those aren't anecdotes and relationship profiles you cobble together in a few hours.

If that's correct, then BE's theory that AVB probably could have stayed on if he'd fought harder for a final chance is probably correct. I think he'd probably just had enough. Whether that expressed itself as "my way or the highway" or something less confrontational, who knows, but one way or the other I think time was up whichever way you cut it.

Yep, we'll never move on with him in charge.. Said that years ago though and I am still here saying the same things over and over again..

How many years ago exactly? Seeings as we've steadily improved over his time here it'd be interesting to know when you first come to the conclusion we won't move forward under him

You said that when, exactly? When Levy first took over and we consistenly had finished in mid-table/bottom half positions for a decade? When we first started competing with "top four" even though the Champions League became more and more lucrative? When we actually qualified for the Champions League? When we consistently finished 5th and 4th year after year with Levy in charge?

jesus

Of course we have overachieved.

09/10 being the biggest overachieving season of them all.

How is that so? We played good enough football and got good enough results. Think you may be forgetting that in 10/11 we did very well in the Champions League. Then in 11/12 we finished fourth. Then last season we narrowly missed out.

Hardly over achieving when it's more or less consistent.

Yeah, interesting point and I think broadly speaking you might well be right. There was also this Telegraph story:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...ger-Andre-Villas-Boas-had-become-distant.html

That's the Telegraph not the Daily Star, so I suspect there are reasonable sources here, and it just has a ring of truth to it. Also, the fact this story was written the evening of AVB's sacking suggests the journalist had prior knowledge about difficulties behind the scenes. Those aren't anecdotes and relationship profiles you cobble together in a few hours.

If that's correct, then BE's theory that AVB probably could have stayed on if he'd fought harder for a final chance is probably correct. I think he'd probably just had enough. Whether that expressed itself as "my way or the highway" or something less confrontational, who knows, but one way or the other I think time was up whichever way you cut it.

I think his time at Chelsea left him quite fragile and sensitive when it comes to criticism and a lack of backing. He'd never been under so much pressure before in his career untill coming to England. He'd held low profile jobs and was just a coach at other times in his career. Then at FC Porto everything was rosey and he was loved by the fans.

Then he came to England where the pressure is much worse. Had a lot of problems at Chelsea and his first experience of huge expectation. He didn't cope well but we wrote it off as a learning curve and appointed him.

Then he came to Spurs. Us English fans and English media put a lot of pressure on managers. But I don't think even he realised that at Spurs it's even worse than any other club you could possibly imagine.

The criticism clearly got to him, he didn't like the fact the media and fans a like were quickly questioning a lot of what he did.

I agree that in the end he wanted to go, but resigning himself would mean him losing pride and admiting that he was wrong. I think he was glad the opportunity for a 'mutual termination' came along and snapped it up.

I actually feel very sorry for the guy, but it just wasn't meant to be.

Andre Villas-Boas did not approve four of Tottenham’s seven summer signings and asked chairman Daniel Levy not to buy them.
Villas-Boas objected to the acquisitions of Erik Lamela, Nacer Chadli, Vlad Chiriches and Christian Eriksen, a quartet who cost Spurs a total of £56million, but his judgment was overruled.
The Portuguese manager asked his chairman to buy Hulk, Joao Moutinho and David Villa as he planned for life without Gareth Bale.
None of these signings materialised and the £110m recruitment drive lies at the heart of a power struggle inside White Hart Lane which culminated in the sacking of Villas-Boas on Monday.
Of Tottenham’s seven recruits, Villas-Boas wanted only Paulinho, Etienne Capoue and Roberto Soldado. The rest were identified by Levy and technical director Franco Baldini.
Although the manager approved of Levy’s decision to appoint a technical director, the relationship between Baldini and Villas-Boas soon disintegrated and the manager was left with players he had not approved.
Villas-Boas did want Willian from Anzhi Makhachkala but Tottenham were beaten at the 11th hour by Chelsea in the race for the £30m Brazilian.
Spurs then turned to Eriksen and paid Ajax £11.5m for the Dane, who started the season brightly, but he was another player the manager did not want. More annoyingly for Villas-Boas, several of those he requested failed to appear.
Hulk had been desperate to leave Zenit St Petersburg and join with Villas-Boas, who he had worked with at Porto. Moutinho was also keen to be reunited with his former Porto boss, despite the collapse of a move to Spurs in August 2012, which left Villas-Boas furious.
The midfielder did exit Porto last summer and moved to Monaco along with James Rodriguez in a double deal worth £60m.
Hulk and Moutinho would have been expensive but Villa moved from Barcelona to Atletico Madrid for only £2m and has scored six in his last seven La Liga games. Of his four unwanted signings, Lamela proved the most contentious, mainly because he cost a club-record £30m and as a left-footed winger came the closest to a direct replacement for Bale.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... nings.html

I agree with you and BE in the sense that it wasn't ruthless Levy losing patience and sacking a manager in another rush of blood, it was clear that things just came to a head and it was considered best for all parties - I entirely believe AVB wanted to get out.

And I blame Levy for not supporting AVB and creating the right environment for his success. I understand that you need to make long term decisions for the club and that means probably listening more to the DOF who is less likely to be poached, but AVB would have been our USP IMO, he was the guy with the vision and was just ahead of his time enough to give us that advantage needed to step up. We should have backed him and created an environment comfortable for him to work in and do his thing, and I truly believe we would have reaped the rewards.

I blame Levy for what has happened and I think it's set us back 2 years.

On stats the big question mark for me is what Harry's win percentage would have been if he had been allowed a fraction of AVB's budget during those two January windows when we were desperate for a striker.

Very good point. We had four years of selling our best players and bringing in inferior replacements. And Redknapp still gets us to an ECL quarter final with Peter Crouch up front.

He deserves a knighthood for that alone. But instead our genius chairman sacks him off.

Problem with Levy is he's not only useless in his appointments, he's too stupid to realise when he's got lucky.

We'll get nowhere while he remains in charge.

Seeing it all from block 29.

He's had 80 games to prove himself. The football has been uninspiring throughout that period. If it hadn't been for Bale bailing him out time after time last season, he'd have gone months ago.
On stats the big question mark for me is what Harry's win percentage would have been if he had been allowed a fraction of AVB's budget during those two January windows when we were desperate for a striker.

You mean a fraction of the budget that allowed us to break even in the transfer market under AVB?

Top class players were sold for top money, that money was reinvested in the squad. Had we sold Modric under Redknapp I think the same thing would have happened.

Very good point. We had four years of selling our best players and bringing in inferior replacements. And Redknapp still gets us to an ECL quarter final with Peter Crouch up front.

He deserves a knighthood for that alone. But instead our genius chairman sacks him off.

Problem with Levy is he's not only useless in his appointments, he's too stupid to realise when he's got lucky.

We'll get nowhere while he remains in charge.

Seeing it all from block 29.

Hold on. Who were these "best players" we sold under Redknapp?

I agree with you and BE in the sense that it wasn't ruthless Levy losing patience and sacking a manager in another rush of blood, it was clear that things just came to a head and it was considered best for all parties - I entirely believe AVB wanted to get out.

And I blame Levy for not supporting AVB and creating the right environment for his success. I understand that you need to make long term decisions for the club and that means probably listening more to the DOF who is less likely to be poached, but AVB would have been our USP IMO, he was the guy with the vision and was just ahead of his time enough to give us that advantage needed to step up. We should have backed him and created an environment comfortable for him to work in and do his thing, and I truly believe we would have reaped the rewards.

I blame Levy for what has happened and I think it's set us back 2 years.

Maybe, but I think the problem is that the evidence that AVB is a guy with vision is harder and harder to discern. We only have that one single season at Porto to hang the theory on, versus 3 subsequent seasons at Chelsea and Spurs that suggest otherwise. I think the jury is still very much out on which is the real AVB. I suspect he's talented all right, just 10 years too young for the jobs he's gotten.

Back