• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

European Super League - Dead on arrival

I’m sure there was a clause that meant they couldn’t redevelop it and had to retain the running track inserted after Levy kicked off?
Lets not put that down to Levy. West Ham's original deal was annulled after somebody (an architect) made a formal objection about the fact that the deal involved state aid (a loan from Newham council that was not made available to all bidders).

The second bidding process then had different terms, one of those terms was that the running track had to be retained for the entire period of the lease. THFC did not take part in the second bid as a result.

Last edited:
This won't go away. No surprise it was endless doped free money clubs of Chelsea and City whom were happy to blink first. Right pep, lets see you without £200 Mill a year, sanctimonious clam.
In fact I'd love to see the 2k spurs fans at final turn back on game and chant cheats for 90 mins.

If this years final is city v PSG whom uefa wanted thrown out and would've but for the good auld Cas. Owners paying off huge loans should be making hay from. The nine should turn on the three and say to fans hey, we can't compete against free money, we tried something, you stopped us. Now live with it. The first final which includes all doped clubs should be shoved violently into uefa's face and then perhaps a look at not releasing players for FIFA's Qatar farce on human rights, and don't get me started on murdochs brickheads.

Then begin again with at least a second tier etc

I like John Barnes. He generally talks a lot of sense. Unusual in today's World..

I find that too whenever I've heard him speak on a variety of matters. He often takes a view that isn't in line with the prevailing public attitude but it's always well thought through and very well articulated. Maybe the fact he has his own mind explains why he doesn't seem to get a pundit gig and people like Evra, Robbie Savage and Joe Hart have.

In theory.... The biggest 4 in England (Man Utd, Liverpool, Emirates Marketing Project, Chelsea) leaving us and Arsenal. I think Arsenal have a higher coefficient than us? (and certainly will do by the end of this season with their better run in the Europa). That puts us at risk of a club from Italy or Spain not qualifying.... How does our coefficient compare with Seville or Roma for example?
Yes Goons above, Seville and Roma either side. 4 teams from the big leagues will qualify good forward though so Roma could be a problem.

Can actually give a scenario where a run in the Europa is more important than league position!

They actually DID get FAR greater broadcast rights than the other teams for a good while. The clubs there could negotiate their own TV deals and this did cause huge disparity with the top 2 to Atletico and then Atletico to the rest. I think that was abolished recently with the other clubs using some sort of rule that they would disagree to be broadcast (i.e. so that the games of the top 3 against each other only could be shown). I think they ended up compromising on a deal that still sees the lions share go to the biggest clubs but not as skewed as it was previously.....

Although I could've dreamed all of this?

I'm sure you are right, I remembered it being back and forth, and them always wanting more.

Sid Lowe was always the best source for this but I stopped listening to football weekly as there was too much of it, same with all of the football podcasts, they all tripled their output, who has the time.

Lets not put that down to Levy. West Ham's original deal was annulled after somebody (an architect) made a formal objection about the fact that the deal involved state aid (a loan from Newham council that was not made available to all bidders).

The second bidding process then had different terms, one of those terms was that the running track had to be retained for the entire period of the lease. THFC did not take part in the second bid as a result.

I thought the objection was to us saying we would tear it down and get rid of the running track (and build one at Crystal Palace), hence why that stipulation was put in?

dvj7YDt.jpg

The fudging irony

dvj7YDt.jpg

The fudging irony

Strange thing to me is all the pics from the Chelsea game of the protesters were of the generation that the ESL is aimed at.
Just goes to show how fickle a roused mob are.
Next time get FB involved and it will go through no problem.

Strange thing to me is all the pics from the Chelsea game of the protesters were of the generation that the ESL is aimed at.

I'd say that just shows how much those involved misjudged the room personally.

Wasn't only Chelsea fans there last night either and I think similar was planned I'm Tottenham today. Not seen something unite fans from so many clubs like this in a while.

I thought the objection was to us saying we would tear it down and get rid of the running track (and build one at Crystal Palace), hence why that stipulation was put in?
No. West Ham won the original bid. The main reason being that their bid retained the running track in Stratford, whereas ours did not. We stated that we had been told that this wasn't a requirement in the bidding process but were waved away.

A complaint was then made (not by THFC) about the fact that West Ham's bid was part funded by a loan from Newham Council on favourable interest terms that was not offered to all bidders. This constitutes illegal state aid and meant that the decision to award the stadium to West Ham would not stand up to legal challenge.

A second bidding process was therefore run with stricter stipulations on requirements (i.e. that the running track had to be retained in the stadium for the entire period of the lease). THFC did not enter the second bid as:

a) This made Levy's plan unviable
b) There had been a lot of (unexpected) backlash from the fans about possibly moving to Stratford (I spot a pattern with this unexpected backlash stuff!)

No. West Ham won the original bid. The main reason being that their bid retained the running track in Stratford, whereas ours did not. We stated that we had been told that this wasn't a requirement in the bidding process but were waved away.

A complaint was then made (not by THFC) about the fact that West Ham's bid was part funded by a loan from Newham Council on favourable interest terms that was not offered to all bidders. This constitutes illegal state aid and meant that the decision to award the stadium to West Ham would not stand up to legal challenge.

A second bidding process was therefore run with stricter stipulations on requirements (i.e. that the running track had to be retained in the stadium for the entire period of the lease). THFC did not enter the second bid as:

a) This made Levy's plan unviable
b) There had been a lot of (unexpected) backlash from the fans about possibly moving to Stratford (I spot a pattern with this unexpected backlash stuff!)

So at the very least, had we not been involved, bojo and Brady would have been able to hide it and force it through. We forced scrutiny simply by being involved.

it was early evening wasn't it, I was still working so I guess most grown ups were

so that's now over, everyone can avoid the new 36 team CL tournament where two places given to a team who did not qualify but have higher Uefa co-efficient.

So let's say Aston Villa finish 5th, and Man U finish 6th, Villa would go into Europa League and Man U promoted to Champions League.

yeh, that's much better... thank the lord for Uefa.

Back