• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Europa League 2016/17

As long as they are winning stuff I don't think they will really care.

For a club that hasn't won much in since Enic has taken over, we are precious about style of play in finals.

I guess the question is would you take United seasons over ours?

Think I would, for all the goals and good football we didn't win anything

Would I trade our 2nd place for 6th and two trophies? Possibly.

Would I get through a season of watching Mourinho ball without giving up on football? Probably not.

What a difference a couple of years makes

“I don’t want to win the Europa League,it would be a big disappointment for me. I don’t want my players to feel the Europa League is our competition.”

“The Europa League is a different competition (to the Champions League), the Europa League is a different level of competition for a different level of player and a different level of club. It is not good for a big club to go there and win it.”

Would I trade our 2nd place for 6th and two trophies? Possibly.

Would I get through a season of watching Mourinho ball without giving up on football? Probably not.
Agree with this, it's about winning trophies but no way would I swap Poch for Mourinho.

He's never lost a final in normal time, apparently. Ridiculous. Winner. BUT his style of management is more practical, than style. And reality is, to win things, you need to be able to do that, but he has had very able resources to do that. Let him try doing that at say, Crystal Palace. Or Conte. Or Pep. They will always go the club with the biggest resources.

He's very open about his system being based on reducing opportunities for the opponent.

I think he's a mile away from Pep, he has done it with lesser resources, at Porto and Inter, he doesn't get enough credit for those two imo.

Please do not compare us to Manchester United, we are not even close to them due to the financial gap,which is huge. We must concentrate our resources to maximise our growth. Man U can spend money we can only dream of.

Zlatan is a great example.

As long as they are winning stuff I don't think they will really care.

For a club that hasn't won much in since Enic has taken over, we are precious about style of play in finals.

I guess the question is would you take United seasons over ours?

Think I would, for all the goals and good football we didn't win anything

I don't think I would, not this season. Finishing second was a massive achievement for us. After last season's 3rd place that improvement helps cement our 'eligibility' as a top 4 team. Which is good for morale, for player retention, for attracting players etc. I would obviously have loved to win a trophy but not at the expense of finishing 5th or 6th. For this season the positional improvement, along with the various club records set/broken along the way, feels more important (for me). If in two or three seasons we are still struggling for silverware I may well feel differently.

And as for tonight's game, I only really saw the second half. Dull dull dull. Mourhino knows how to defend a lead (stullify the life out of the game) and once that second goal went in, Ajax would have had to have done something spectacular to pull it back. And they never looked like doing anything to even come close.

Please do not compare us to Manchester United, we are not even close to them due to the financial gap,which is huge. We must concentrate our resources to maximise our growth. Man U can spend money we can only dream of.

Zlatan is a great example.

I agree, there isn't a bigger club in football, Barca, Madrid, Bayern, Milan, Juve, on a level, but certainly no higher.

Didn't think much to Ajax at all , did they make a correct decision once in the final third?
They were excellent in the last round but totally overawed by the occasion and the sheer physical size and strength of the the United players. Watching Fellani play the Ajax kids was like watching an episode of Game of thrones.

I agree, there isn't a bigger club in football, Barca, Madrid, Bayern, Milan, Juve, on a level, but certainly no higher.

Man U are light years behind the 'teams' you have mentioned ATM.

Mourinho will be under enormous pressure next season!

It'll be his last full season at the club, so he will need to deliver either the league or Champions League or his time there will look like a failure on his CV.

I don't think so, because it's not really about the last few years on the pitch, hence why Milan are still "up there".

They are the storied clubs, others have flirted, but football has a long memory.

As for Jose, take a look at his CV, particularly second seasons, I'm putting my house on a united title next season.

As for Jose, take a look at his CV, particularly second seasons, I'm putting my house on a united title next season.

In the past I would have agreed with you but I think that there are big questions about whether Mourinho still has enough of what made him great to win the league. That team also looks someway off being complete enough to win the league.

It'll be his last full season at the club, so he will need to deliver either the league or Champions League or his time there will look like a failure on his CV.
Does he have a 2 year contract??

What I find unfair is that they go into CL pot 2 and we go into pot 3. Disgrace

In the past I would have agreed with you but I think that there are big questions about whether Mourinho still has enough of what made him great to win the league. That team also looks someway off being complete enough to win the league.

He's done more with less.

They've got a great keeper, an improving D that one dominant CB could fix, an athletic MF that just needs a bit of leadership and two explosive pacy forwards in Martial and Rashford, he's getting there, and he's got plenty of money.

Say for example they were to sign... Lamela and Toby, party time.

Mourinho can easily turn Utd into title contenders.......they will be turgid to watch though no matter how much they spend on new players.

... after winning the league and building a team that wins the CL

If this job follows the others, he has to do that next year because the following year either the players or the board have enough of him and he gets the boot.

I'm not sure that he's got it in him any more and I think this team is further from the title than most he has managed.

Back