• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

Nothing like each other. Like completely no similarities.

I despair sometimes at the ridiculously opinionated spurs fan who just wants to write off our players. No support, just the attitude of "if you make a mistake, fudge off out of my club". As if there is some GHod given right for us to be higher in the league, win the Europa and that there's no possible way that any club, let alone ours, can ever have an off day. Get real!

So we have Dier, who people are saying is costing us goals. Yet, as @Bedfordspurs has pointed out, we have the best defence in the league? Square that circle.

That's hardly a circle to square. Not even a rhombus to square.

The other defenders we have are top class. Put any of Walker, Alderweireld, Vertonghen and Rose in any other PL team and they would at worst be as good as the players the other teams have and for most teams they would improve them. We have one of the best goalkeepers in the league. And we play a system with a dedicated DM in Wanyama and a very solid and defensively strong Dembele next to him.

One player costing us goals, yet having the best overall defensive record isn't a mystery.

That of course doesn't mean we shouldn't support Dier. He's a very young player, particularly for a centre back. And he's clearly very talented.

That's hardly a circle to square. Not even a rhombus to square.

The other defenders we have are top class. Put any of Walker, Alderweireld, Vertonghen and Rose in any other PL team and they would at worst be as good as the players the other teams have and for most teams they would improve them. We have one of the best goalkeepers in the league. And we play a system with a dedicated DM in Wanyama and a very solid and defensively strong Dembele next to him.

One player costing us goals, yet having the best overall defensive record isn't a mystery.

That of course doesn't mean we shouldn't support Dier. He's a very young player, particularly for a centre back. And he's clearly very talented.

I'm not so sure. He can't be costing us that many goals (to make a noticeable difference) if we have indeed got the best defence in the league. How many goals has he cost us overall? It can't be that many and certainly how does that compare to other central defenders of other top teams?

He has made mistakes, of that there is no doubt. But I do think that people are making him out to be the sole person responsible for some of the defeats and/or draws that we have experienced, when in reality the answer is a bit more complex.

Had a good game today, made one possible mistake (same as Verts), but we know who the bitching will be about.

He is a crucial part of our back 5 strategy .. which in turn has us play our most effective football.

fudging 10 wins in a row at home, 2nd in table and this board goes on about who we have to get rid off/upgrade in team ...

Without doubt he tends to make more mistakes than Alderweireld and Vertonghen, but then these two have been on a different level to anyone else in the league this season. For me Dier's biggest weakness is defending set pieces, this is an area he needs to improve.

However, his strengths outweigh his weaknesses and he has time to address those weaknesses. He is generally strong in the tackle and his passing from the back is very good. If Poch coaches him well he will turn out to be a gem despite the fact there is still work to do.

To anyone who doubts this lad's ability you have to look back at his performances for England during the Euros where he was the only bright spark in a miserable campaign.

I'm not so sure. He can't be costing us that many goals (to make a noticeable difference) if we have indeed got the best defence in the league. How many goals has he cost us overall? It can't be that many and certainly how does that compare to other central defenders of other top teams?

He has made mistakes, of that there is no doubt. But I do think that people are making him out to be the sole person responsible for some of the defeats and/or draws that we have experienced, when in reality the answer is a bit more complex.

I'd like to see a list of goals that are his fault that aren't in cup games

Decent game from Dier today, him and verts were more like the LB and RB. Silly mistake in turning off for last goal and will get a rocket. Having said that probably a little harsh as it was a fantastic delivery.

Just wanted to know if anyone else was a bit worried by Eric Dier yesterday? I thought he seemed to get caught a couple of times dawdling that thankfully came to nothing. Am i being a bit harsh?

Certainly helps him being in a back 3 atm imo.

Lovely forward passing as well.

Just wanted to know if anyone else was a bit worried by Eric Dier yesterday? I thought he seemed to get caught a couple of times dawdling that thankfully came to nothing. Am i being a bit harsh?

He looked fat, or perhaps he was just running like a fat bloke? Injury niggle?

He can be a bit over confident on the ball, he sometimes thinks he has more time than he thinks. I still think he is a better Defensive Mid but no one is knocking Wanyama out of his spot thats for sure.

ref didn't offer him protection at all against he millwall players who were constantly tugging, nudging etc. he will learn from this experience, but I agree he needs to show more aggression, and decisiveness after all he is a rather big boy.

ref didn't offer him protection at all against he millwall players who were constantly tugging, nudging etc. he will learn from this experience, but I agree he needs to show more aggression, and decisiveness after all he is a rather big boy.

Millwall players fouled/were quite physical with him, good learning for him. Will only get better playing consistently with Jan/Toby.

As said earlier, if I were Spurs opponent, I would target him. Breaks a lot of defending rules. He is far better suited to be a DM than CB. However some say he is a young CB - I am guessing that Poch a former international CB is working to remove those traits.

As said earlier, if I were Spurs opponent, I would target him. Breaks a lot of defending rules. He is far better suited to be a DM than CB. However some say he is a young CB - I am guessing that Poch a former international CB is working to remove those traits.

I would target him too as the other two are the best centre backs in the country so it would make sense to target the least experienced one

Young and inexperienced for a centre back. How would Alderweireld or Vertonghen have looked as centre backs in this team having just turned 23 and with less than a season worth of CB experience?

He's a big unit, but seems to be bossed physically by strong forwards.

Seems to look to win most duels fairly. Needs to learn how to be sneaky like Vertonghen.

Young and inexperienced for a centre back. How would Alderweireld or Vertonghen have looked as centre backs in this team having just turned 23 and with less than a season worth of CB experience?

Seems to look to win most duels fairly. Needs to learn how to be sneaky like Vertonghen.
I hate the sneaky way Vertonghen grabs hold of players, feigns excessive injury and stuff like that. It's not necessary and it's not Tottenham.

Just out-perform your opponent like Alderweireld does.

I hate the sneaky way Vertonghen grabs hold of players, feigns excessive injury and stuff like that. It's not necessary and it's not Tottenham.

Just out-perform your opponent like Alderweireld does.
It's a beautiful ideology, but sadly just not a realistic one and has never existed in competitive sports.
By comparison we are squeeky clean

Back