• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

Nunez is going to score a lot of goals in this league, don’t let first season syndrome fool you - he has the physicality for this league and will be really good long term. Anyway, the discussion was originally top 4 level sides - how the fudge did we get onto Liverpool :D…..

I don't believe he will. I could point to several examples but the chance he had against Woolwich was really poor control and really poor finishing.

The guy is a mid table player IMO.

I don't believe he will. I could point to several examples but the chance he had against Woolwich was really poor control and really poor finishing.

The guy is a mid table player IMO.
He is big and knocks defenders about a bit, but when it comes to technique and finishing he is poor.

Curtis Jones, Matip, TAA, Nunez, Jota. Wouldn't touch any of them. And before anyone raves about TAA, he's a great footballer but the least defensively aware defender I've ever seen.

Never got the hype about TAA, his awareness of what is going on around him as a full back is shocking. As you say in m/f he would look better.

Never got the hype about TAA, his awareness of what is going on around him as a full back is shocking. As you say in m/f he would look better.

I always assumed he’d be better in midfield but Gary Neville rubbished the idea during the week and he may have a point. IIRC he said Trent is great coming into a ball with everything in front of him but he isn’t so good at taking the ball with his back to the opposition goal which he’d have to do more of in midfield.

He may have a point. Neville reckoned he needs to just make himself “not a liability” defensively and he’ll be a very good full back. Problem is TAA has always been a dreadful defender, it’s just getting badly exposed now that The Dippers are struggling.

I always assumed he’d be better in midfield but Gary Neville rubbished the idea during the week and he may have a point. IIRC he said Trent is great coming into a ball with everything in front of him but he isn’t so good at taking the ball with his back to the opposition goal which he’d have to do more of in midfield.

He may have a point. Neville reckoned he needs to just make himself “not a liability” defensively and he’ll be a very good full back. Problem is TAA has always been a dreadful defender, it’s just getting badly exposed now that The Dippers are struggling.

I think most modern "defenders" have a lot of their work done for them by the defensive shield teams play in front of them. When that fails they struggle and resort to grabbing opponents.

I blame him for the second goal, as he panicked again and got drawn to the ball, when if he had stayed with his man Loris would have got to the ball.

Sanchez actually redeemed himself a little by get a toe to the ball. But Dier had left his man free to run in and beat Loris to the ball.

I know Sanchez doesn't instill confidence in his fellow defenders, but you have to do your job first and not Panic tackles which is what Dier does all the time. His reading of the game is so poor.

He thinks he's a John Terry blood and guts defender...but Terry could read the game.

Jesus wept. Would be 100% in character for us, but there is no clearer indication of where we are headed than giving a new contract to Eric f*cking Dier.
He will retire here and by some inexplicable reason still be first choice come aug

I blame him for the second goal, as he panicked again and got drawn to the ball, when if he had stayed with his man Loris would have got to the ball.

Sanchez actually redeemed himself a little by get a toe to the ball. But Dier had left his man free to run in and beat Loris to the ball.

I know Sanchez doesn't instill confidence in his fellow defenders, but you have to do your job first and not Panic tackles which is what Dier does all the time. His reading of the game is so poor.

He thinks he's a John Terry blood and guts defender...but Terry could read the game.
Blaming Dier for the second goal? You’re having a laugh, it was all on Sanchez. His body position was all wrong from the start making it easy for Tavernier to get by him. Dier had to come across or Tavernier was in on goal.

Blaming Dier for the second goal? You’re having a laugh, it was all on Sanchez. His body position was all wrong from the start making it easy for Tavernier to get by him. Dier had to come across or Tavernier was in on goal.
Sanchez and Dier were both poor. I spoke to my Dad, who was listening to the game on Radio London and he said the commentator (he thinks it was Paul Parker) stated that it was awful defending from Dier.

Sanchez and Dier were both poor. I spoke to my Dad, who was listening to the game on Radio London and he said the commentator (he thinks it was Paul Parker) stated that it was awful defending from Dier.
What was Dier supposed to do? Tavernier went past Sanchez like he wasn't there, should Dier have stayed with his man and let Tavernier straight in on goal with a relatively easy finish or go and try to close him down? Porro made zero effort to get back when he could see Sanchez was in trouble, it was only Dier reacting. There's no way Dier could've predicted Sanchez toe-poking the ball past him.
If he didn't try and close him down and Tavernier scored he would be getting, rightly, slated for it.

What was Dier supposed to do? Tavernier went past Sanchez like he wasn't there, should Dier have stayed with his man and let Tavernier straight in on goal with a relatively easy finish or go and try to close him down? Porro made zero effort to get back when he could see Sanchez was in trouble, it was only Dier reacting. There's no way Dier could've predicted Sanchez toe-poking the ball past him.
If he didn't try and close him down and Tavernier scored he would be getting, rightly, slated for it.

Dier needs to stay with his man, and hope Sanchez and Loris can deal with their man.

The moment you leave your position....or you don't read the danger nearest to you...and you go off to fight someone else's fire, you mess up the defensive structure for everyone.

Dier's job is not to chase player who has the ball and is likely to play score a goal, his job is to maintain the defensive structure. It's the structure which stops opposition from scoring...not the individual defender.
Dier always panics and breaks the structure, that's why he is a really brick CB.

You always get these bang average defenders who are bigger and stronger than everyone else, but can't read the game. They think they should be some kind of superhero and prance around the pitch trying to act like one. The problem is they never work as a team player in backline unit.
Their incompetence makes other players look bad.
Dier has good games and very bad games, he is a Premier league level Defender, but he will never be a top 6 Level defender consistently.

Davies and Romero are far better at reading the game and following system structures... Don't get me wrong they have brainfarts too. But you can see they understand that defenders have specific roles.
You have to win your individual battles (that could be anything from beating your man to the ball, or just standing next to an attacker so he can't make a run).
What you shouldn't do is leave your man and go chasing the ball.... not in Defence...He could do that as midfielder and get away with it....but not in Defence.

Dier needs to stay with his man, and hope Sanchez and Loris can deal with their man.

The moment you leave your position....or you don't read the danger nearest to you...and you go off to fight someone else's fire, you mess up the defensive structure for everyone.

Dier's job is not to chase player who has the ball and is likely to play score a goal, his job is to maintain the defensive structure. It's the structure which stops opposition from scoring...not the individual defender.
Dier always panics and breaks the structure, that's why he is a really brick CB.

You always get these bang average defenders who are bigger and stronger than everyone else, but can't read the game. They think they should be some kind of superhero and prance around the pitch trying to act like one. The problem is they never work as a team player in backline unit.
Their incompetence makes other players look bad.
Dier has good games and very bad games, he is a Premier league level Defender, but he will never be a top 6 Level defender consistently.

Davies and Romero are far better at reading the game and following system structures... Don't get me wrong they have brainfarts too. But you can see they understand that defenders have specific roles.
You have to win your individual battles (that could be anything from beating your man to the ball, or just standing next to an attacker so he can't make a run).
What you shouldn't do is leave your man and go chasing the ball.... not in Defence...He could do that as midfielder and get away with it....but not in Defence.
Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

Sanchez had already failed to deal with his man, Tavernier was past him and in on goal. You don't hope that the defender can get back and make a tackle, if Sanchez had made a tackle from behind it would've been a pen. You don't hope that your keeper can make a stop in a one on one situation you try stop the forward getting in one on one and make a block or tackle.
At that point that Sanchez was gone past it was up to everyone to move across, Dier going to Sanchezs man and everyone else moving across to pick up the next man.
The only reason that Sanchez got the chance to toe-poke the ball was because Dier came across and Tavernier had to keep the ball on his left side to keep it away from Dier.

Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

Sanchez had already failed to deal with his man, Tavernier was past him and in on goal. You don't hope that the defender can get back and make a tackle, if Sanchez had made a tackle from behind it would've been a pen. You don't hope that your keeper can make a stop in a one on one situation you try stop the forward getting in one on one and make a block or tackle.
At that point that Sanchez was gone past it was up to everyone to move across, Dier going to Sanchezs man and everyone else moving across to pick up the next man.
The only reason that Sanchez got the chance to toe-poke the ball was because Dier came across and Tavernier had to keep the ball on his left side to keep it away from Dier.

I'm sorry but you are wrong, Sanchez was still goal side when he got to ball, the attacker hadn't got past him at that stage.

The attacker had cut inside, but the Sanchez is still with him at that point. He hasn't gone past him.

In that situation there isn't time for everyone to switch across it's too close to goal and on the break. You just pick up the runners. Let the Defender and the keeper deal with the guy on the ball.

If Dier stayed with his man, the goal would not have been scored and we don't lose go a goal behind. No goal scored.

Dier left his post and the man he was supposed to mark scored. They scored.

I'm sorry but you are wrong, Sanchez was still goal side when he got to ball, the attacker hadn't got past him at that stage.

The attacker had cut inside, but the Sanchez is still with him at that point. He hasn't gone past him.

In that situation there isn't time for everyone to switch across it's too close to goal and on the break. You just pick up the runners. Let the Defender and the keeper deal with the guy on the ball.

If Dier stayed with his man, the goal would not have been scored and we don't lose go a goal behind. No goal scored.

Dier left his post and the man he was supposed to mark scored. They scored.
He had gone past him, his poor touch brought the ball back toward Sanchez who then gets his toe on it

upload_2023-4-16_17-31-10.png

Porro jogs back instead of running back which would've meant Dier wouldn't have needed to come across

He had gone past him, his poor touch brought the ball back toward Sanchez who then gets his toe on it

View attachment 15417

Porro jogs back instead of running back which would've meant Dier wouldn't have needed to come across
TBH I think all goals were a collective mess than ot being just one man. Sanchez was poor but so was Porro and Dier and for the winner PEH literally only had to stand his ground and that goal doesn't happen.

Like most of our season and bad plane crashes there are collective mistakes that take place for the terrible outcomes

Sent from my SM-A127F using Fapatalk

TBH I think all goals were a collective mess than ot being just one man. Sanchez was poor but so was Porro and Dier and for the winner PEH literally only had to stand his ground and that goal doesn't happen.

Like most of our season and bad plane crashes there are collective mistakes that take place for the terrible outcomes

Sent from my SM-A127F using Fapatalk
Romero again getting done in the air though….

Back