• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

Dude, according to opts stats no team in the league has created more chances than Spurs this season, the fact that we have not taken those chances cannot be blamed on Dier

Well, based on the Stoke and Leicester games then we are back to last season then arent we, when we had to be the 5th best scorers in the league just to maintain our top 5/6 status and stop ourselves having a negative goal difference.

Apart from Manure, the four games we've played have been against opposition we would have justifiably have expected to get minimum 2 wins from and we have none, 'because we don't take our chances'. We were two-nil up against Stoke and if the reason we didn't win was because we 'didn't take our other chances' as opposed to because we haven't solved our defensive/defensive midfield problems we had last season, then we are back to square one - and Dier's performances will not hide that, but in fact highlight the fact he is a 'sticky-tape' solution for our DCM issue.

They don't confirm anything. None of us know whether his long term future is there or not but at the moment he is doing his chances no harm.

We were prepared to let Fazio go to WBA because of the CBs on our books and presumably because Dier was being counted as one to make it 5 and hence Fazio was surplus to requirements.
Hence another reason i say Dier was NOT in our plans to play as a DCM this season, though i agree that he is playing very well in that position for us, but i fear he and we will be exposed for having not bought a real DCM/DCM-like player for that position when we come up against much stronger opposition than who we have mostly (Manure aside) been playing.

Did we make any attempts to buy defensive midfielders in the Summer? I think all I saw was some press speculation regarding bids for Wanyama and Witzel. I'm not sure that bids were actually made for either of them though.

I believe we were seriously interested in Schneiderlin, Gianelli Imbula (who joined Porto from Marseille) and there have been many MANY reports that we were interested in Kramer from Leverkusen and the Benders. Witzel was probably mainly paper talk, whilst the Wanyama story was made up by us on here.
I think we did want to buy a more defensively-astute midfielder in the summer but Poch was already preparing aplan B in Dier for if/when we didn't (and fair play to him for that kind of forward planning that i very much appreciate seeing in our managers).

You also have to remember that we were prepared to let Fazio go due to us having 5 CBs and Dier being considered on of those.

I believe we were seriously interested in Schneiderlin, Gianelli Imbula (who joined Porto from Marseille) and there have been many MANY reports that we were interested in Kramer from Leverkusen and the Benders. Witzel was probably mainly paper talk, whilst the Wanyama story was made up by us on here.
I think we did want to buy a more defensively-astute midfielder in the summer but Poch was already preparing aplan B in Dier for if/when we didn't (and fair play to him for that kind of forward planning that i very much appreciate seeing in our managers).

You also have to remember that we were prepared to let Fazio go due to us having 5 CBs and Dier being considered on of those.

we did make a bid for him, but way too low as usual

I seem to remember some Southampton director in a TV interview saying they didn't receive any offers for Wanyama. Or something to that effect anyway

We were prepared to let Fazio go to WBA because of the CBs on our books and presumably because Dier was being counted as one to make it 5 and hence Fazio was surplus to requirements.
Hence another reason i say Dier was NOT in our plans to play as a DCM this season, though i agree that he is playing very well in that position for us, but i fear he and we will be exposed for having not bought a real DCM/DCM-like player for that position when we come up against much stronger opposition than who we have mostly (Manure aside) been playing.

As things stand, it's his position to lose and if he carries on playing like he is then he stands a good chance of holding onto it.

I was wondering this morning if he has a better chance of going to the European Championship next summer as a DM than a CB.

As things stand, it's his position to lose and if he carries on playing like he is then he stands a good chance of holding onto it.

I was wondering this morning if he has a better chance of going to the European Championship next summer as a DM than a CB.

That would be interesting...personally i think we'll need him long-term as a CB, but if he becomes as good as King (who could also play DM) then that'd be great for us (and England)

Imbula went for a fee that we could easily have afforded so I don't think we were in for him at all. Kramer and the Benders seemed to be talk in the press only (just like with Witzel and Wanyama) again I'm not sure there was anything concrete there in terms of interest from us. I know it was probably pointless in putting in bidding against Man Utd for Schneiderlin but the facts of the matter are still that we didn't put in a bid this summer. I think that we all thought we were in for a defensive midfielder this summer because that what we all wanted, the facts don't seem to back that up however.

why does everyone want him to go back to CB? he's better than Stambouli was, and he had his fans on here. At least he isn't running in treacle all the time. It might take a few years to settle, but why not have a player with pretty extreme speed and a CB's mentality sitting in the centre sweeping things up? Poch used to be a CB, right? He probably knows what a CB wants from midfield, and probably only trusts CB's to do it the same. It looks like Pock and Dier have a special relationship - I want to see where it goes and if we do have a strong/fast/defensively minded CM, it will be awesome in 2 years.

Imbula went for a fee that we could easily have afforded so I don't think we were in for him at all. Kramer and the Benders seemed to be talk in the press only (just like with Witzel and Wanyama) again I'm not sure there was anything concrete there in terms of interest from us. I know it was probably pointless in putting in bidding against Man Utd for Schneiderlin but the facts of the matter are still that we didn't put in a bid this summer. I think that we all thought we were in for a defensive midfielder this summer because that what we all wanted, the facts don't seem to back that up however.

I think you forget that all the above players (apart from Wanyama, who was a rumour started here as i say) were either at clubs in CL or moved to clubs in CL, so just because we waited to make a bid or in the end couldn't go up against a financial juggernaught like Manure doesn't mean we weren't attempting to bring one in.

Also, if Dier was always throught of as our DM from the start of the window, how do you explain Fazio being seen as surplus to requirements in that he would have left us if not for a last minute change of mind/contractual hitch?

That would be interesting...personally i think we'll need him long-term as a CB, but if he becomes as good as King (who could also play DM) then that'd be great for us (and England)

You may be right, alternatively CCV might be a first choice center back in 5 years time with Eric still playing in midfield.

Really? When?

Southampton midfielder Victor Wanyama has been one of the players most closely linked to Tottenham Hotspur in recent days, with the 24-year-old apparently eager to hook up with former Saints boss Mauricio Pochettion, and Southampton legend Matt Le Tissier discussed that interest during Sky Sports coverage of deadline day.

The Kenyan international submitted a transfer request in order to push through a move last week, said Sky, only to see it rejected by the South Coast club. There was some uncertainty as to whether he had joined up with his national team for the international break, as he looked to try and sort out his club future, but it is now reported that he has headed to meet up with his international teammates.

Le Tissier offered an interesting piece of inside knowledge on the North Londoner's pursuit of the former Celtic star, which if true, makes it completely understandable as to why a deal was never close to coming off.

"Wanyama got a little bit unsettled with all the talk about Tottenham," Le Tissier said on Sky Sports News. "But as far as I’m aware there was only one bid from Tottenham, which was quite a few weeks ago now.

"From what I’m aware, it was less than they paid Celtic for him so it was never going to be considered."

The fact Daniel Levy and Spurs attempted to buy a player for less than the Saints paid the Bhoys for him, said to be £12.5 million according to BBC Sport, despite him excelling in the Premier League, will certainly frustrate Tottenham fans who have been calling out for a genuine defensive midfield all summer.

SEE ALSO: Fullback tweets delight at Fulham move, less than a month after earlier transfer

Levy is renowned as a tough negotiator who is able to get good fees for his own players, but in recent years some of the big money purchases made at the club have struggled to make an impact.

But his pursuit of both Wanyama and the likes of Saido Berahino look like falling flat on account of offers that were never likely to tempt a side into selling one of their best players, especially as what could be seen as initial offers were not followed up with more agreeable bids.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/09/0...rs-surprising-insight-into-spurs-wanyama-pur/

Southampton midfielder Victor Wanyama has been one of the players most closely linked to Tottenham Hotspur in recent days, with the 24-year-old apparently eager to hook up with former Saints boss Mauricio Pochettion, and Southampton legend Matt Le Tissier discussed that interest during Sky Sports coverage of deadline day.

The Kenyan international submitted a transfer request in order to push through a move last week, said Sky, only to see it rejected by the South Coast club. There was some uncertainty as to whether he had joined up with his national team for the international break, as he looked to try and sort out his club future, but it is now reported that he has headed to meet up with his international teammates.

Le Tissier offered an interesting piece of inside knowledge on the North Londoner's pursuit of the former Celtic star, which if true, makes it completely understandable as to why a deal was never close to coming off.

"Wanyama got a little bit unsettled with all the talk about Tottenham," Le Tissier said on Sky Sports News. "But as far as I’m aware there was only one bid from Tottenham, which was quite a few weeks ago now.

"From what I’m aware, it was less than they paid Celtic for him so it was never going to be considered."

The fact Daniel Levy and Spurs attempted to buy a player for less than the Saints paid the Bhoys for him, said to be £12.5 million according to BBC Sport, despite him excelling in the Premier League, will certainly frustrate Tottenham fans who have been calling out for a genuine defensive midfield all summer.

SEE ALSO: Fullback tweets delight at Fulham move, less than a month after earlier transfer

Levy is renowned as a tough negotiator who is able to get good fees for his own players, but in recent years some of the big money purchases made at the club have struggled to make an impact.

But his pursuit of both Wanyama and the likes of Saido Berahino look like falling flat on account of offers that were never likely to tempt a side into selling one of their best players, especially as what could be seen as initial offers were not followed up with more agreeable bids.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/09/0...rs-surprising-insight-into-spurs-wanyama-pur/

I call flimflam on Le Tissier there...any other sources btw?

I call hogwash on Le Tissier there...any other sources btw?

Le Tissier has more inside info at Southampton than you do.....but you are entitled to your opinion

Wanyama was tapped up by Spurs, why do you think he was in "not in the right frame of mind" as Koeman put it to play for Southampton for 2 or 3 games?

Le Tissier has more inside info at Southampton than you do.....but you are entitled to your opinion

Wanyama was tapped up by Spurs, why do you think he was in "not in the right frame of mind" as Koeman put it to play for Southampton for 2 or 3 games?

I love the way that you go straight to an interpretation of events that paints us in the worst light.

I think it was a story created right here, and the press ran with it, he then thought we might make a bid, quite liked the idea and then became unsettled.
Btw, if we'd actually made a bid, surely other outlets would have mentioned this?

Back