• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

I think that he's our best option right now but we need an upgrade with a better all round game.

I’m absolutely not putting the blame on him or Sissoko as no one came out of the game with any credit whatsoever other than perhaps Ndombele but you’re 100% right. DM, RB and GK the areas of top priority that we need to fix immediately after in January, not the summer but I’d settle for a new DM for now.

I’m absolutely not putting the blame on him or Sissoko as no one came out of the game with any credit whatsoever other than perhaps Ndombele but you’re 400% right. DM, RB and GK the areas of top priority that we need to fix immediately after in January, not the summer but I’d settle for a new DM for now.

It's a lot to ask for in January and won't come cheap.

I think that he's our best option right now but we need an upgrade with a better all round game.

All seems a bit square peg round hole with our midfield options atm

Id be looking to play Dier behind Ndombele and Lo Celso, that way he should have an easy out ball and his lack of passing ability won't be so easily exposed and he can focus on what he's good at (being a by the numbers DM)

I still think Dier and Ndombele or Dier and Winks has promise. We were desperate for more creativity and passing tempo in midfield yesterday, getting Eriksen in there as a desperation move is fine, but not a way to start games and he probably won't be around for long.

Some big decisions to be made, that imbalance needs fixing one way or another.
Nothing with Dier in the team has any promise. He contributes zero to our attacking play and defends terribly, constantly wrong side of his player and has the mobility and turning circle of an oil tanker. There was one occasion yesterday where Chelsea were breaking (with I think Mount on the ball). Dier was a few steps behind him (as he was for the entire half) and he pointed to Sanchez to take him as he just gave up running. It was diabolical.

With Dier in midfield all any team has to do is press us high and they will dominate the game. As more and more opposition managers realise this we won’t get teams sitting back and playing into our hands like Burnley did and our results will rapidly deteriorate. Mourinho isn’t stupid though so fingers crossed that’s it for Dier in the team now.

As an aside here I thought the deep midfielder for Flamengo looked excellent in their game against Liverpool the other day. Go get him Jose.

Last edited:
Nothing with Dier in the team has any promise. He contributes zero to our attacking play and defends terribly, constantly wrong side of his player and has the mobility and turning circle of an oil tanker. There was one occasion yesterday where Chelsea were breaking (with I think Mount on the ball). Dier was a few steps behind him (as he was for the entire half) and he pointed to Sanchez to take him as he just gave up running. It was diabolical.

With Dier in midfield all any team has to do is press us high and they will dominate the game, as more and more opposition managers realise this we won’t get teams sitting back and playing into our hands like Burnley did and our results will rapidly deteriorate. Mourinho isn’t stupid though so fingers crossed that’s it for Dier in the team now.

As an aside here I thought the deep midfielder for Flamengo looked excellent in their game against Liverpool the other day. Go get him Jose.

There was another incident with Dier yesterday where Toby gave him the ball in acres of space. He could literally have turned and he’d have had 10 yards of space and time to pick a pass. He didn’t even take a look. Just knocked it back to Toby. You could see Toby gesture to him to say “What the f**k are you doing”. Then Chelsea pushed on and Toby plays a long ball that gives possession away.

As a midfielder, before he receives a pass, he has a duty to know what he’s going to do with it and the first thing he should do if he has time and space is look to do something progressive with the ball.

Dier is an awful centre mid and I never want to see him there again.

There was another incident with Dier yesterday where Toby gave him the ball in acres of space. He could literally have turned and he’d have had 10 yards of space and time to pick a pass. He didn’t even take a look. Just knocked it back to Toby. You could see Toby gesture to him to say “What the f**k are you doing”. Then Chelsea pushed on and Toby plays a long ball that gives possession away.

As a midfielder, before he receives a pass, he has a duty to know what he’s going to do with it and the first thing he should do if he has time and space is look to do something progressive with the ball.

Dier is an awful centre mid and I never want to see him there again.

That was midway through the first half, a ridiculous passage of play. Ndombele came on, got exactly the same passes, dropped 15 shoulders and left his man for dead facing towards their goal.

That's the difference. And that's not even bigging up Ndombele, any CM should be able to receive the ball, know what's around him and play accordingly.

With Dier in midfield all any team has to do is press us high and they will dominate the game. As more and more opposition managers realise this we won’t get teams sitting back and playing into our hands like Burnley did and our results will rapidly deteriorate. Mourinho isn’t stupid though so fingers crossed that’s it for Dier in the team now.

Someone on this forum even said our results are better with Dier in the team as if he is the catalyst for the wins we have picked up since Mourinho got the job. I am by no means blaming him for the result yesterday because everyone was pish but I just don’t understand this commitment to absolve him whenever he has an off day.

Someone on this forum even said our results are better with Dier in the team as if he is the catalyst for the wins we have picked up since Mourinho got the job. I am by no means blaming him for the result yesterday because everyone was pish but I just don’t understand this commitment to absolve him whenever he has an off day.

I have said that the team is better balanced with him in it and I stand by that. He was this boards MotM against Wolves. I haven't seen anyone say the same for results.

Dier is best alongside a ball playing central midfielder. He was good, if rusty, in Mourinho's first two games playing in front of Winks. Unfortunately, injuries have meant that we haven't seen more of him alongside Winks or Ndombele. Alongside Sissoko, he's forced to do a lot of the things that he is least adept at and decent teams will target this.

I have said that the team is better balanced with him in it and I stand by that. He was this boards MotM against Wolves. I haven't seen anyone say the same for results.

Dier is best alongside a ball playing central midfielder. He was good, if rusty, in Mourinho's first two games playing in front of Winks. Unfortunately, injuries have meant that we haven't seen more of him alongside Winks or Ndombele. Alongside Sissoko, he's forced to do a lot of the things that he is least adept at and decent teams will target this.

I wasn’t referring to you. I believe it was Bedford spurs IIRC.

He’s the best destroyer we have but that isn’t saying much. It alarms me when people say “put x player next to someone better or someone who can play”. IMO Dier hasn’t looked the same since he played alongside Dembele similar to King making Dawson, Bassong etc looks miles better when playing alongside them.

He’s the best destroyer we have but that isn’t saying much. It alarms me when people say “put x player next to someone better or someone who can play”. IMO Dier hasn’t looked the same since he played alongside Dembele similar to King making Dawson, Bassong etc looks miles better when playing alongside them.

I think that most players would look better alongside Dembele. Mourinho does want him to play a different role when paired with a ball player, to the Dier/Dembele partnership. I think that he can do it, and as you say, is our best option right now but it would be one of my priority areas to improve.

No your changing what I said
I said we have had better results with him in the team. It’s a fact
The best midfielders in the world though cannot compensate for Aurier heading the ball out when under no pressure and leaving the man or Gaza doing Kung fu
Or Gaza getting beat at his ear post from a shot form distance or sissoko chopping down rashford
Just saying...

He doesn't 'destroy' anything other than our own team's attacking prowess. He is probably the least press resistant player at Spurs and teams are targeting that. If he was defending well, getting goal side and stopping the opponents breaks he might juat be worth the attacking sacrifice but he is equally ineffectual when we're out of possession as he is when we have the ball. He made Mason Mount look like Messi yesterday.

No your changing what I said
I said we have had better results with him in the team. It’s a fact
The best midfielders in the world though cannot compensate for Aurier heading the ball out when under no pressure and leaving the man or Gaza doing Kung fu
Or Gaza getting beat at his ear post from a shot form distance or sissoko chopping down rashford
Just saying...

It’s too small a sample size to point to first of all but most importantly, Mourinho has kept things simple, picked the same team for the most part and has put players such as Alli in the position which suits him best. Alli has been our best player since Mourinho took over.

You could just as easily say we won the olympiacos game after Dier was subbed and we didn’t concede a goal once he went off. That’s a fact.

It’s too small a sample size to point to first of all but most importantly, Mourinho has kept things simple, picked the same team for the most part and has put players such as Alli in the position which suits him best. Alli has been our best player since Mourinho took over.

You could just as easily say we won the olympiacos game after Dier was subbed and we didn’t concede a goal once he went off. That’s a fact.
Yep it is
But as Mou said he could have taken anyone off big chasing a game it makes sense to take off his most defensive midfielder
Same as yesterday
Although yesterday I’d have taken off Moura and pushed sissoko up there and brought Ndombele on for Moura

Yep it is
But as Mou said he could have taken anyone off big chasing a game it makes sense to take off his most defensive midfielder
Same as yesterday
Although yesterday I’d have taken off Moura and pushed sissoko up there and bought Ndombele on for Moura

Sorry but it comes across like we win when he is in the team and when we lose, well, Dier can’t legislate for everyone else being crap. I just don’t understand what he has done to be put on this pedal stool where certain people refuse to to be critical of him. It’s always “but everyone was crap”. I don’t see people making the same excuses for Gazzaniga. When someone has a bad game, just say. Where is there always a caveat or a reason when Dier underperforms?

I hurt yesterday watching that game.
But I'm pleased in one small way.
The cracks in the team are still very visible and the wins we have fluked agains the likes of Wolves are still very visible.
Today Jose will be feeling very similar Ancelotti and Arteta.

Edit its wee bit OT

Sorry but it comes across like we win when he is in the team and when we lose, well, Dier can’t legislate for everyone else being crap. I just don’t understand what he has done to be put on this pedal stool where certain people refuse to to be critical of him. It’s always “but everyone was crap”. I don’t see people making the same excuses for Gazzaniga. When someone has a bad game, just say. Where is there always a caveat or a reason when Dier underperforms?
Dier has been slated for yesterday by some
He played half a game and we didn’t create when he was off or on. It’s not his job to create
IMO watching that game he did his defensive job. The issue is and will be he cannot be played with another player who doesn’t pass well. You end up with two players not comfortable with the ball

look at how we played vs West Ham with Dier and winks (and we hadn’t won away and Chelsea were on similar form to them). That West Ham team beat Chelsea

I hurt yesterday watching that game.
But I'm pleased in one small way.
The cracks in the team are still very visible and the wins we have fluked agains the likes of Wolves are still very visible.
Today Jose will be feeling very similar Ancelotti and Arteta.
We said it when leaving
He will have learned a lot

Back