• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

Didn't Winks play as the holding midfielder in some big games last season? Long-term, he may be the answer. For now, I'd be happy for a centre midfield of Winks and Wanyama to be given a go.

Missed him big time yesterday, Dembélé in there on his own looked like a fish out of water.
Well it didn't help with both of them in there. They have both been consistently brick for quite a while now. Our weakest parts of the team now. I'd play Winks and Wanyama for a while now.

Well it didn't help with both of them in there. They have both been consistently brick for quite a while now. Our weakest parts of the team now. I'd play Winks and Wanyama for a while now.
I haven’t seen our midfield look so porous since Bentaleb was a regular starter!

Dier was poor yesterday ( just like every other player) Dembélé should be looked as no more then someone to bring on in the last 20 minutes to help close a game. Dier has played non stop football for the last couple of years and hardly missed a game in that time. He is still only 24 and will come again but he does not need to be written off like some fans i have heard say ( not saying you are one of them).

Dier was poor yesterday ( just like every other player) Dembélé should be looked as no more then someone to bring on in the last 20 minutes to help close a game. Dier has played non stop football for the last couple of years and hardly missed a game in that time. He is still only 24 and will come again but he does not need to be written off like some fans i have heard say ( not saying you are one of them).

I agree. Dier was terrible yesterday but I think a lot of fans are being too hard on him. Dembele looks to be past it and will be no more than a final 30 mins player. I wouldn’t be throwing Amos in as a starter just yet.

So I guess that leaves Winks and one of Wanyama and Dier. Two players recovering from long term injury and one badly out of form. That’s a bit worrying.

I agree. Dier was terrible yesterday but I think a lot of fans are being too hard on him. Dembele looks to be past it and will be no more than a final 30 mins player. I wouldn’t be throwing Amos in as a starter just yet.

So I guess that leaves Winks and one of Wanyama and Dier. Two players recovering from long term injury and one badly out of form. That’s a bit worrying.

It does not look good i agree but only time will tell, Dier IS a top player and as i have said before IF we can get Winks fit he has a very good future as a top player ( imo). The thing is most teams get injurys some long term and some niggles and it will always be that way.

We can’t be any worse with Wanyama and Winks in there instead of Dier and Dembele surely? We normally have a great record of getting rid of players at the right time but it’s starting to look like we’ve held on to Dembele for a season too long.

As for Dier, he’s just not good enough at the moment to be starting for me. His distribution has always been limited but his brain farts happen too frequently. Winks loves a tackle and he always wants the ball and looks to be positive with it. Give them a go and see what happens I say.

Agreed. Absolutely right.

The thing that must be difficult for Poch is that when Dembele turns it on he is unplayable. Against Fulham he turned the game completely in our favour. I can see why Poch persists with him even though he is not the player he was 2 seasons ago. We simply do not have a suitable replacement.

I genuinely cannot remember the last time Dier had a good game. I was a fan, I really was but defensively he has been a liability for some time. He fails to dominate when defending set pieces, I have lost count of the times he's bullied off the ball or fails to get distance on a headed clearance; he commits Walker style defensive errors with alarming frequency (got away with it yesterday but didn't the last time we played Liverpool) and for a big guy he gets turned far too easily in midfield then gives away a foul to make up for his error.

Not sure if I can accept that these things are solely down to the number of games he has played. I would be interested to see a comparison of the number of games he has played compared to Eriksen, Kane and Ali. He seemed to spend most of the world Cup collecting splinters on his arse from the bench.

I don't trust him to play centre half and he cannot hold in midfield on his own. Not sure where we play him perhaps as a right back? He just hasn't pushed on and with Dembele not performing as well as in previous seasons Dier's weaknesses are being exposed more and more. Sad as I am to say this we need to upgrade on him and probably Dembele and Wanyama too, although Dembele even with the way he has played the last 2 games will still be very difficult to replace.

The thing that must be difficult for Poch is that when Dembele turns it on he is unplayable. Against Fulham he turned the game completely in our favour. I can see why Poch persists with him even though he is not the player he was 2 seasons ago. We simply do not have a suitable replacement.

I genuinely cannot remember the last time Dier had a good game. I was a fan, I really was but defensively he has been a liability for some time. He fails to dominate when defending set pieces, I have lost count of the times he's bullied off the ball or fails to get distance on a headed clearance; he commits Walker style defensive errors with alarming frequency (got away with it yesterday but didn't the last time we played Liverpool) and for a big guy he gets turned far too easily in midfield then gives away a foul to make up for his error.

Not sure if I can accept that these things are solely down to the number of games he has played. I would be interested to see a comparison of the number of games he has played compared to Eriksen, Kane and Ali. He seemed to spend most of the world Cup collecting splinters on his arse from the bench.

I don't trust him to play centre half and he cannot hold in midfield on his own. Not sure where we play him perhaps as a right back? He just hasn't pushed on and with Dembele not performing as well as in previous seasons Dier's weaknesses are being exposed more and more. Sad as I am to say this we need to upgrade on him and probably Dembele and Wanyama too, although Dembele even with the way he has played the last 2 games will still be very difficult to replace.

Indeed, i think Poch thought the same and wanted to over the summer...but alas...

Indeed he did but he did not come on until the 63 minute hence why i think that should be his role for us now, he is no longer a reliable 90 minute player ( imo).

The Dier negativity is funny
People quote his errors but when I challenge most it’s the Liverpool away one that comes to mind..
He did make a poor pass yesterday but Toby did 3 that I saw highlighted on TV and he never get criticised
They scored from a corner that’s we had 11 men defending and the onky one who actually did any defending was Dier... it wasn’t a great header I’ll agree but who else was putting there head on it
I remember the 2nd minute yesterday when keita was trying to impose hiemlsf and Dier flattened him with a tackle
We looked miles better when we went to a two in midfield and he was playing in the position he has played most of his games for us, not some odd right hand side place
And people calling for Wanyama... I’m all for giving him games as he was outstanding when we signed him, but he gave the ball away 3 times yesterday from his first 7 touches ... he needs games to get back to match level

The key thing now is we have a run of games where we can tweak the first 11 and Poch has to manage the chnages right

He is a player having a poor spell in a midfield that is misfiring.
The team mates around him are either just coming back from long term injury and rusty or not as fit as they were.
There's been a lot of enforced changes around him and it must be unsettling.
His confidence seems shot and he looks like he isn't sure of his role any more.
I do wonder if the Jose tapping up has affected him.

Indeed he did but he did not come on until the 63 minute hence why i think that should be his role for us now, he is no longer a reliable 90 minute player ( imo).
Whatever the reason, it really looks like the super sub role is all he's up to at the moment. Perhaps it helps when the opposition have tired, or he gets a grip on the game watching from the bench.

Eric is a big unit and it takes a lot energy to get him moving especially over the first few yards!
The trend in the game now is for ‘ratters’ like Kante and Modric ‘king rat’ (a compliment) and of course Winksy!
Pogba is a great footballer but manoeuvres like supper tanker and Matic also, the EPL is very fast all over the field, these bigger player are fine in Italy and Spain, much more time.

Last edited:
The Dier negativity is funny
People quote his errors but when I challenge most it’s the Liverpool away one that comes to mind..
He did make a poor pass yesterday but Toby did 3 that I saw highlighted on TV and he never get criticised
They scored from a corner that’s we had 11 men defending and the onky one who actually did any defending was Dier... it wasn’t a great header I’ll agree but who else was putting there head on it
I remember the 2nd minute yesterday when keita was trying to impose hiemlsf and Dier flattened him with a tackle
We looked miles better when we went to a two in midfield and he was playing in the position he has played most of his games for us, not some odd right hand side place
And people calling for Wanyama... I’m all for giving him games as he was outstanding when we signed him, but he gave the ball away 3 times yesterday from his first 7 touches ... he needs games to get back to match level

The key thing now is we have a run of games where we can tweak the first 11 and Poch has to manage the chnages right

Agree. I think the system as much as the players were responsible on Saturday. Apart from City its probably the worst team to play with a newish system. It obviously didn't work. For me Dier isn't someone who gets about, he is someone who thrives in the holding midfielder role (with a box to box player with him) cutting off central danger and generally organising those around him.

I'd be looking at a 4231 for the next few games and giving Winks and Wanyama as much minutes as possible (probably not together though). Those 2 are light on football but with no world cup hangover should be fresh once up to speed (like Moura and Lamela on Saturday).

As much as we all love Kane, Eriksen, Dele, Son, Dembele, Dier - we have to accept that this season the rest of the squad will be playing a bigger part than previously (imo). Moura, Lamela, Winks, Wanyama, Sissoko will probably all be involved a fair bit in the coming months.

For me Dier isn't someone who gets about, he is someone who thrives in the holding midfielder role (with a box to box player with him) cutting off central danger and generally organising those around him.

You are correct!
Dier is getting overrun and bypassed by quicker more agile opposition players and on Saturday it left Winks running around like a blue-arsed fly trying to cover.
With an ageing (physically) Dembele and a crocked Wanyama, I would be tempted to look to some youngsters.
Dier is better suited to a place at the back.

Back