• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emmanuel Adebayor - Officially gone \o/

Re: So what has gone wrong with adebayor?

Indeed, and for all the brick Crouchy gets, he was part of our only CL side...I was not happy when we sold him...

I'll be forever grateful for that goal at eastlands, but he wasn't good enough for us in the end despite offering us a plan B and occasionally causing problems for defenders.

Even if you count Dempsey, that still only leaves us with two strikers. If they both play, then that leaves no one on the bench. I can't understand why we would want to leave ourselves so short.

No that leaves us with 3 strikers (Ade, Dempsey, Defoe) and one attacking midfielder (Sig). Not unlike how we last season had 3 strikers (Ade, Defoe, Saha) and one attacking midfielder (VdV).

If you want to count Dempsey only as an attacking midfielder (unlike AVB) it still leaves us with 4 players for those 2 most attacking central positions if we play a 4-4-1-1 or 4-2-3-1 formation.

As a result of that I would imagine that if we do sign a top class striker that one of the above mentioned players would get dissatisfied with life at the club after a not too long unless we went through a ridiculous injury crisis.

Last edited:

No that leaves us with 3 strikers (Ade, Dempsey, Defoe) and one attacking midfielder (Sig). Not unlike how we last season had 3 strikers (Ade, Defoe, Saha) and one attacking midfielder (VdV).

If you want to count Dempsey only as an attacking midfielder (unlike AVB) it still leaves us with 4 players for those 2 most attacking central positions if we play a 4-4-1-1 or 4-2-3-1 formation.

For now it leaves us with 2. And those two attacking midfielders you mentioned, one has scored 4 goals, whilst the other hasn't scored at all.

For now it leaves us with 2. And those two attacking midfielders you mentioned, one has scored 4 goals, whilst the other hasn't scored at all.

Sure, it leaves us with two strikers just like it left us with two strikers during Ade's injuries and suspension previously this season.

I'm surprised some people aren't panicking that we only have 3 keepers now that Cudicini is gone :p

Emmanuel Adebayor claims he is yet to receive assurances from Andre Villas-Boas that he is fine with the striker playing in the African Nations Cup for Togo.

Adebayor had initially refused to play in the African Nations Cup due to a row over team security and unpaid bonuses, but following talks with the country's president the Tottenham striker now has his heart set on taking part in the tournament.

"That is what he said to the press, but not what he said to me," Adebayor told africatopsports.com in response to Villas-Boas' comments to the media saying he was happy for the striker to go.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/20955319

ADE UPDATE

Posted 09 January 2013 2:45pm

The Club can confirm that Emmanuel Adebayor has been called up by the Togo FA for the forthcoming African Cup of Nations.

The striker will be available for this weekend's fixture against Queens Park Rangers before travelling out to South Africa to meet up with his international teammates ahead of the championships.

Emmanuel Adebayor claims he is yet to receive assurances from Andre Villas-Boas that he is fine with the striker playing in the African Nations Cup for Togo.

Adebayor had initially refused to play in the African Nations Cup due to a row over team security and unpaid bonuses, but following talks with the country's president the Tottenham striker now has his heart set on taking part in the tournament.

"That is what he said to the press, but not what he said to me," Adebayor told africatopsports.com in response to Villas-Boas' comments to the media saying he was happy for the striker to go.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/20955319

What a dumb thing to say. Nearly as bad as his stupid quotes earlier in the season.

Jeez, talk about unnecessarily stirring brick up!

We need to sign a striker this January anyway (same as EVERY window), but hopefully this will speed things up a bit.

Sure, it leaves us with two strikers just like it left us with two strikers during Ade's injuries and suspension previously this season.

Which over a whole season is risky. It's not like we don't have any money at all to spend. Adebayor is off form, Dempsey hasn't hit top form yet and Defoe will always be streaky and has a tendancy to dry up goal wise in the second half of the season.

I agree with the above posters on this one, saying something that unnecessary was stupid, immensely stupid. As a club, we are still under scrutiny from a media desperate to find a stick to beat the increasingly impressive AVB with. We do not need to hand them opportunities like this.

'Nogo! Adebayor blasts AVB for attempting to block Togo departure...'

Sigh.

Which over a whole season is risky. It's not like we don't have any money at all to spend. Adebayor is off form, Dempsey hasn't hit top form yet and Defoe will always be streaky and has a tendancy to dry up goal wise in the second half of the season.

Good thing it's not for the whole season then...

I'm glad he's going, he's not been on form lately and hopefully it will force Levy to put his hands in his pockets for a new striker in this window.

Sorry mate, but the 'ratings on this forum' mean little in the big picture.
I think the Ade-bashing is weird. Yes he's an easy target because he has not been scoring as many, his season has been disrupted and he's erred in judgement a few times, but if you watch him carefully, he has been occupying defenses/dragging players all over the place! I think he can handle his departure for a few games, largely because AVB can either play Sandro/Parker and push Dembele behind Defoe OR Dempsey will step in and do a fine job, but for me, Ade's been far too easy and lazy a target for criticism.

Of course ratings arent the be all and end all. Some love him, some hate him, but there is a general consensus emerging that he just hasnt been at the races this season. You can offer all the excuses you like, but it isnt just the odd game, it is now over half a season. He just doesnt look up for it. Even if his confidence was low, his touch has been abysmal, he hasnt attacked the ball in the air in the centre of the field, he is reluctant to get in the box and when he does he finishes like a total wally. Just nowhere near good enought for us at the moment. We despeerately need a new striker now.

His inane criticism of AVB was just stupid. AVB is probably happy to let him go to the ACof N because he is not offering anything to the side , and as Statto touched on, may even be counterproductive to the team and the squad. Lets get a proper top striker in and let him fight for his place. His best games last year came when he was under pressure from either Defoe or Saha. He needs a good kick up the jacksie.

I'm glad he's going, he's not been on form lately and hopefully it will force Levy to put his hands in his pockets for a new striker in this window.

Bet you any money he won't.
He's gonna miss two league games.

Good thing it's not for the whole season then...

You think only having two strikers (one of which has been poor this season) plus Dempsey (who hasn't added much goals to our team) for the entire season is good enough? Not exactly much competition for places is there? Similar to what we had last season when Ekotto had no one to challenge him, unless you're counting Danny Rose.

How people can write this off and say "it's only 3 games" is beyond me considering that we missed out on the Champions League by a point last season.

You think only having two strikers (one of which has been poor this season) plus Dempsey (who hasn't added much goals to our team) for the entire season is good enough? Not exactly much competition for places is there? Similar to what we had last season when Ekotto had no one to challenge him, unless you're counting Danny Rose.

How people can write this off and say "it's only 3 games" is beyond me considering that we missed out on the Champions League by a point last season.

3 in last 2 and starting to look like the player who scored 20 plus at Fulham last season

Really weird thing for Ade to do...not sure why he's gone and done that? He seems a bit emotional about playing for his country which is fine, and even though I've defended him for his performances this season maybe the fact that he's lacking a bit of confidence is down to the fact that there were unresolved issues with Togo.

Regardless, this is just senseless. It's not just AVB that has said he's ok with it. Freund has as well. So he's basically calling the entire coaching staff liars to the press rather than keeping whatever issue he has in-house. Don't understand why...just when everyone looked to be pulling in the same direction.

Back