• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Does anyone suffer from mental illness on here?

Sounds very interesting! Please update us, and the best of luck to you!

I'm down in the dumps waiting for my psychiatrist to finally give me the bipolar diagnosis, which hopefully will grant med access to medication (lithium) that I'm hoping will have some effect. Currently on Zyprexa for the mania, but so damned depressed these days I can barely take care of myself. Seeing him again tomorrow for further assessments. I only get 45 minutes a week and we've got a huge fudging log of tests to go over - so going at this rate I probably won't get any meds until the new year ffs. Hoping all fellow strugglers are hanging in there!

Just don't sit around thinking that once you find the right meds everything will be fine. I've seen people lose decades of their life, sitting around near comatose and close to rattling due to how many pills they're on and negotiating with doctors (years after diagnosis) like a kid in a candy shop " Yeah I'll go for 5mg of that and maybe 10mg of this, ohh should we up that other one too?". I appreciate that the practice of medicine is experimental but going full guinea pig with humans is a bit nuts imo.

You're saying the current meds aren't great and you're feeling depressed, why are some other potential ones around the corner going to be better? It's all just enabling the notion of the doctors telling you the problem is your brain and it needs to be fixed. I'm not saying to not do meds at all but also look at your life and what you can improve. Are you in a position to help others? That's way more important than jumping at the chance to get some real side effects from whatever the latest pharmaceutical wonder drug is. If you're not working and feel isolated from the world of course you'd be depressed, anyone would.

Get something going where you can feel useful and back to your best, otherwise you become further separated from what's good about life and community.

To be clear I'm not saying to stop considering meds or not to pursue it, but to emphasize that even if i they do work, it's still only a small part of it - not a magic pill that fixes all. Gotta do other things too, even if just taking small steps to getting back out there. Sorry to hear you are feeling rough though mate, it's one step at a time ideally without having to rush but also not letting yourself wallow, like everything it's a complicated balance.

Edit - When I say help others, to make it more tangible and less wishy washy / open to interpretation - Get yourself in a voluntary position, from the sounds of it you're a way off going back to work so it's a good time to reflect on priorities without the pressure of having to do menial tasks to satisfy some shareholders, I'm talking about something like a foodbank or charity shop. Building a routine and having a reason to get out of the house is huge, plus it feels good to be able to genuinely help others (which in turn helps yourself).

Hope none of this is too presumptuous and I'm overstepping, I just think the rush to have a diagnosis isn't the meaningful factor, unless it gets you access to genuinely useful assistance/ therapies. Waiting to have some meds that'll sort everything out is a bit of a mug's game, you don't get that time back and it's possible to make progress in other areas simultaneously (which you very well may be doing of course).

Last edited:
Just don't sit around thinking that once you find the right meds everything will be fine. I've seen people lose decades of their life, sitting around near comatose and close to rattling due to how many pills they're on and negotiating with doctors (years after diagnosis) like a kid in a candy shop " Yeah I'll go for 5mg of that and maybe 10mg of this, ohh should we up that other one too?". I appreciate that the practice of medicine is experimental but going full guinea pig with humans is a bit nuts imo.

You're saying the current meds aren't great and you're feeling depressed, why are some other potential ones around the corner going to be better? It's all just enabling the notion of the doctors telling you the problem is your brain and it needs to be fixed. I'm not saying to not do meds at all but also look at your life and what you can improve. Are you in a position to help others? That's way more important than jumping at the chance to get some real side effects from whatever the latest pharmaceutical wonder drug is. If you're not working and feel isolated from the world of course you'd be depressed, anyone would.

Get something going where you can feel useful and back to your best, otherwise you become further separated from what's good about life and community.

To be clear I'm not saying to stop considering meds or not to pursue it, but to emphasize that even if i they do work, it's still only a small part of it - not a magic pill that fixes all. Gotta do other things too, even if just taking small steps to getting back out there. Sorry to hear you are feeling rough though mate, it's one step at a time ideally without having to rush but also not letting yourself wallow, like everything it's a complicated balance.

Edit - When I say help others, to make it more tangible and less wishy washy / open to interpretation - Get yourself in a voluntary position, from the sounds of it you're a way off going back to work so it's a good time to reflect on priorities without the pressure of having to do menial tasks to satisfy some shareholders, I'm talking about something like a foodbank or charity shop. Building a routine and having a reason to get out of the house is huge, plus it feels good to be able to genuinely help others (which in turn helps yourself).

Hope none of this is too presumptuous and I'm overstepping, I just think the rush to have a diagnosis isn't the meaningful factor, unless it gets you access to genuinely useful assistance/ therapies. Waiting to have some meds that'll sort everything out is a bit of a mug's game, you don't get that time back and it's possible to make progress in other areas simultaneously (which you very well may be doing of course).
I don't know how old you are but that comes across as very old school & very anti drugs i was waiting for the pull your socks up & get on with it If that's not what you meant my apologies. in the old days doctors were happy to drug you up with meds because that's all they knew

The difference know is my GP, psychiatrist & my psychologist actually communicate regularly & treat my issues holistically. Which includes diet exercise & mental wellbeing. I have a plan in place. Next month I will be off my anxiety meds & if if TMS works lower or eliminate my other drugs. That would not have happened when I was first diagnosed 40 years ago it was you'll be fine your just sad get over it

Last edited:
I don't know how old you are but that comes across as very old school & very anti drugs i was waiting for the pull your socks up & get on with it If that's not what you meant my apologies. in the old days doctors were happy to drug you up with meds because that's all they knew

The difference know is my GP, psychiatrist & my psychologist actually communicate regularly & treat my issues holistically. Which includes diet exercise & mental wellbeing. I have a plan in place. Next month I will be off my anxiety meds & if if TMS works lower or eliminate my other drugs. That would not have happened when I was first diagnosed 40 years ago it was you'll be fine your just sad get over it
Anti drugs yes to a certain extent (the big pharma profit making kind of drugs at least) but my view is as far away from the just pull your socks up and on with it as you can get. But for sure I'm absolutely against telling patients that there's an internal problem in their brain that needs to be fixed with a steadily increasing dosage of meds for the rest of their life. If everyone is depressed and on anti depressants so much so that it's genuinely affected the water supply, maybe the problem isn't inherently in our brains but more to do with life and the world around us.

I'm genuinely pleased if you've got a team that are looking at things holistically, the majority of people who walk in to a doctor's office just get some meds and that's that. Also that you're seeing a horizon that doesn't involve being stuck on medication sounds excellent as usually treatment plans are just indefinite. The notion of making the feelings bearable by numbing them and getting on with it is exactly what I'm opposing. And the side affects of anti depressants (depression being one of them, go figure) and other meds are real.

I have clearly stated that I'm not advising to not go down the medication route even if I don't have much faith in it myself, just that there are other things that need to be looked at, which is in effect what you've said yourself with diet / things in aid of mental well-being etc. But a lot of people who are stuck in struggles when asked, will not have looked in to diet / exercise/ finding meaningful work and a connection to community because they're waiting to get balanced out by the magic pills.

Edit - I've had a revisit to my original post to see how you came to your conclusion of what I said, I'm still confused by it but i guess it could come off as me telling others what to do without the full knowledge/ context but I despair at the thought of people putting too much weight in to a diagnosis or thinking that medication alone will save the day. A holistic approach as you say is absolutely the best and medication can be a part of that approach for some people, if anything just sticking people / kids on numbing medication is the old school approach, not what I'm suggesting. Things aren't always logical when it comes to depression, mental health and life for anybody so there's no easy fix but a theoretically simple tick list of diet / exercise / support from the right place and people/ putting yourself in a position to help others goes a hell of a long way. But waiting to hear of a diagnosis that may excuse oneself of less than ideal behavior that will supposedly explain it isn't the best imo (not aimed at anyone specific), many abusers get told they have borderline personality disorder and then think "Ah so that's why I've been mistreating others and myself". I was diagnosed bi polar and psychotic disorder but all of my actions during various meltdowns were based on choices I made (coupled with my environment and external circumstances of course), some doctors with clipboards giving me a label doesn't make everything I do / did ok nor that some drugs that guarantee weight gain will save day.

Last edited:
Anti drugs yes to a certain extent (the big pharma profit making kind of drugs at least) but my view is as far away from the just pull your socks up and on with it as you can get. But for sure I'm absolutely against telling patients that there's an internal problem in their brain that needs to be fixed with a steadily increasing dosage of meds for the rest of their life. If everyone is depressed and on anti depressants so much so that it's genuinely affected the water supply, maybe the problem isn't inherently in our brains but more to do with life and the world around us.

I'm genuinely pleased if you've got a team that are looking at things holistically, the majority of people who walk in to a doctor's office just get some meds and that's that. Also that you're seeing a horizon that doesn't involve being stuck on medication sounds excellent as usually treatment plans are just indefinite. The notion of making the feelings bearable by numbing them and getting on with it is exactly what I'm opposing. And the side affects of anti depressants (depression being one of them, go figure) and other meds are real.

I have clearly stated that I'm not advising to not go down the medication route even if I don't have much faith in it myself, just that there are other things that need to be looked at, which is in effect what you've said yourself with diet / things in aid of mental well-being etc. But a lot of people who are stuck in struggles when asked, will not have looked in to diet / exercise/ finding meaningful work and a connection to community because they're waiting to get balanced out by the magic pills.

Edit - I've had a revisit to my original post to see how you came to your conclusion of what I said, I'm still confused by it but i guess it could come off as me telling others what to do without the full knowledge/ context but I despair at the thought of people putting too much weight in to a diagnosis or thinking that medication alone will save the day. A holistic approach as you say is absolutely the best and medication can be a part of that approach for some people, if anything just sticking people / kids on numbing medication is the old school approach, not what I'm suggesting. Things aren't always logical when it comes to depression, mental health and life for anybody so there's no easy fix but a theoretically simple tick list of diet / exercise / support from the right place and people/ putting yourself in a position to help others goes a hell of a long way. But waiting to hear of a diagnosis that may excuse oneself of less than ideal behavior that will supposedly explain it isn't the best imo (not aimed at anyone specific), many abusers get told they have borderline personality disorder and then think "Ah so that's why I've been mistreating others and myself". I was diagnosed bi polar and psychotic disorder but all of my actions during various meltdowns were based on choices I made (coupled with my environment and external circumstances of course), some doctors with clipboards giving me a label doesn't make everything I do / did ok nor that some drugs that guarantee weight gain will save day.
When I get the opportunity I will reply. After reading your original post several times I think I misread the tone of it so my apologies.

When I get the opportunity I will reply. After reading your original post several times I think I misread the tone of it so my apologies.

No problem mate, my posts aren't always clear as I'm often on the fence myself about certain things so am essentially debating things out loud on occasion. And evidently I am influenced by my own experience whether personal or anecdotally from what I see others go through + a lot of reading about this kind of thing and things are different for everyone.

What I definitely don't want to come off as doing is suggesting that people don't go to professionals for help and just to face things alone / man up etc

Thanks for sharing your observations & genuinely sorry to hear you have bi polar & a psychotic disorder
Here in Australia state & federal governments have taken a different approach to mental health several years before covid a group of organisations dealing with mental health & prominent psychiatrists approached both state & federal governments & basically laid out what was happening. Doctors were giving out antidepressants like smarties & over a six month period the use of meds for depression had risen by 300%.
obviously the state & federal governments had to do something so they said people who see there GP with mental health issues now had to have a mental health plan. This includes 16 free psychological appointments with the psychologist of your choice, psychiatrist if needed of your choice, dietitian all for free. As you can imagine a small minority of doctors weren't happy. it's not a perfect system but less people are taking antidepressants sadly there has been another spike recently but on the whole only the people that actually need meds get them. in my opinion that's a bloody good outcome.

For people with serious mental health issues i think medication is the only option. yes you can add diet & mental well being but for some with out meds it is nigh on impossible to get through each day. i always choose meds because there really wasn't another option it was live or die & no matter how much i tried without meds my brain always choose death. my psychiatrist shocked me recently & i don't get shocked she told me because i have taken strong antipsychotic & antidepressant medication for 40 years it will take 10 years off my life. That's not i wanted to hear at least she is honest

i was under the impression borderline personality disorder had been discredited & was now seen as nonsense is that not the case.
as for people hiding behind the diagnosis to inflict harm that's when i would say man up & accept the consequences of your actions. i would also say to the media when some guy just killed his wife don't jump straight to he's got a mental health problem he's probably just a evil clam.

if your interested try reading Dying for a cure by Rebekah Beddoe

I'm aware of the dangers of relying only on drugs - I'm not going down that road. I've been deficient in the chemicals department since I was young, always been gloomy without there being any external factor for it so to speak. When I started cipralex a few years back it was like hitting a switch. I got just that bit more energy and lift to not mope around all the time. It's not like it solved all my problems, but it felt like it pushed me up to a more functioning level so to speak. But now the docs wants to switch me to something else because of the manic episode, so I started Seroquel yesterday. I'm working out, meditating, going for walks, staying clear of alcohol and drugs and doing all the right things to get back up on my feet. I also chose my line of work back in the day (Healthcare, I'm basically a kind of specialized nurse) to make my life more meaningful and more in line with actually contributing to something positive in the world (I got my dream job as a sports journalist in my early 20s, but it quickly felt so meaningless to me I had to quit)- I realize it's not only a case of taking some pills, but thanks for your concern. :)

Last edited:
I'm aware of the dangers of relying only on drugs - I'm not going down that road. I've been deficient in the chemicals department since I was young, always been gloomy without there being any external factor for it so to speak. When I started cipralex a few years back it was like hitting a switch. I got just that bit more energy and lift to not mope around all the time. It's not like it solved all my problems, but it felt like it pushed me up to a more functioning level so to speak. But now the docs wants to switch me to something else because of the manic episode, so I started Seroquel yesterday. I'm working out, meditating, going for walks, staying clear of alcohol and drugs and doing all the right things to get back up on my feet. I also chose my line of work back in the day (Healthcare, I'm basically a kind of specialized nurse) to make my life more meaningful and more in line with actually contributing to something positive in the world (I got my dream job as a sports journalist in my early 20s, but it quickly felt so meaningless to me I had to quit)- I realize it's not only a case of taking some pills, but thanks for your concern. :)
You come across as being happy with decision to try Quetiapine (Seroquel) I will be crossing all my fingers & toes hoping this puts you on a path to a full recovery. if you don't mind me asking what dose are you taking & is it quick or slow release.

You come across as being happy with decision to try Quetiapine (Seroquel) I will be crossing all my fingers & toes hoping this puts you on a path to a full recovery. if you don't mind me asking what dose are you taking & is it quick or slow release.

Thanks! I'm on 100mg for two days now, and will go up to 200mg after that - it's a slow release. I'm happy to try anything that might work. Hoping they can stabilize the mood somewhat after a while. :)

Thanks for sharing your observations & genuinely sorry to hear you have bi polar & a psychotic disorder
Here in Australia state & federal governments have taken a different approach to mental health several years before covid a group of organisations dealing with mental health & prominent psychiatrists approached both state & federal governments & basically laid out what was happening. Doctors were giving out antidepressants like smarties & over a six month period the use of meds for depression had risen by 300%.
obviously the state & federal governments had to do something so they said people who see there GP with mental health issues now had to have a mental health plan. This includes 16 free psychological appointments with the psychologist of your choice, psychiatrist if needed of your choice, dietitian all for free. As you can imagine a small minority of doctors weren't happy. it's not a perfect system but less people are taking antidepressants sadly there has been another spike recently but on the whole only the people that actually need meds get them. in my opinion that's a bloody good outcome.

For people with serious mental health issues i think medication is the only option. yes you can add diet & mental well being but for some with out meds it is nigh on impossible to get through each day. i always choose meds because there really wasn't another option it was live or die & no matter how much i tried without meds my brain always choose death. my psychiatrist shocked me recently & i don't get shocked she told me because i have taken strong antipsychotic & antidepressant medication for 40 years it will take 10 years off my life. That's not i wanted to hear at least she is honest

i was under the impression borderline personality disorder had been discredited & was now seen as nonsense is that not the case.
as for people hiding behind the diagnosis to inflict harm that's when i would say man up & accept the consequences of your actions. i would also say to the media when some guy just killed his wife don't jump straight to he's got a mental health problem he's probably just a evil clam.

Thanks for the sentiment and arguably it's semantics but I don't really consider myself as "having" those conditions, it's indisputable that I was diagnosed but it's an opinion. It's now been the opinion that the bipolar is in remission, but this has happened during a long period of not taking the suggested meds as they were just awful. So as the condition has gone away concurrently with me saying no thanks to whatever they put me on I do feel somewhat vindicated in my decision. I appreciate that might sound a tad bitter but I'd still be on that crap now, clearly for no good reason and that is fudged up imo.

As for the psychotic side, everyone has the potential to go a bit crazy, that risk is exponentially increased if you're not getting enough sleep, not feeling safe in your home environment and also no access to hot water if a massive one for me but obviously everyone has different triggers...

I was going to ask, I had assumed you were not UK based as you were describing a positive experience with your healthcare! I'm in two minds about how to describe it here, the service has been deliberately run down so laying in to the people that are trying their best with inadequate funding seems harsh but it's also just simply not good enough. That's excellent that something was done to attempt to change the absurd manner in which GPs were dealing with things, I feel the UK and US has done way to go on that.

My friendly advice would always be to speak to professionals but having blind faith in them is potentially super damaging because they're human beings who occasionally make things worse. I've spoken at length on here at various stages about incidents and experiences with the so called support and it's not necessarily positive, there's not a need for me to go through it again. But because I don't engage I am then noted as being non cooperative like it's my fault that they're doing a bad job..

You see I just find that astounding re losing 10 years of your life by being on the meds, it's of course better than the risks you talk about by not taking them and you feel they help / have helped you then fair enough. I don't think it'd be appropriate for me to go in to various factors in why I don't get on with them if they are of use to you (and others) so I shan't. They are a critical part of some people's treatment plan as you say, but also hopefully not a life sentence to those people just being numb / not feeling like themselves anymore..

Interesting on the borderline personality disorder, it's definitely still being spoken about and I haven't seen anything myself that has stated it's flimflam but I wouldn't be surprised. I've known a few people who have allegedly had it and eventually you just notice that some people have a self destructive streak, actively make bad decisions (or no decisions whatsoever), blame everyone else and never look inwardly, it's supremely tiring to be around as nothing you say / do can help until they want to help themselves. Again that's only my experience, not trying to generalize swathes of people.

Cheers for the recommendation, I will have a look.

I'm not quite sure I follow your notion of always being deficient in the chemicals department but I am glad to hear of the positive steps you're taking and apologize if my post was a tad presumptuous in suggesting you weren't doing the other factors necessary in terms of self care / getting back in to it. Fair enough if you feel the diagnosis may help, there are specified time frames in terms of manic episodes and different types of the condition and whilst currently I'm not a mental health professional, it did seem going by your posts that recreational drugs had a lot to do with what led you to being at a manic stage. Obviously that's simply my opinion and I don't have the full picture - Either way, whatever's happened is in the past and the main thing is it seems you're in a better place, with a good routine as you say, which is paramount.

I did use way too much recreational drugs at the end, probably as a way to self medicate in a way, which probably pushed me over the edge into full blown mania, but the whole story line is a lot longer and full of details, and involves a long term relationship just collapsing into chaos, me quitting my job and a lot of other crazy little things I'm not going to bother divulging. In short, 2023 has been a terrible year, and I'm trying to build myself up stone by stone, accepting every outstretched hand of help along the way.

I did use way too much recreational drugs at the end, probably as a way to self medicate in a way, which probably pushed me over the edge into full blown mania, but the whole story line is a lot longer and full of details, and involves a long term relationship just collapsing into chaos, me quitting my job and a lot of other crazy little things I'm not going to bother divulging. In short, 2023 has been a terrible year, and I'm trying to build myself up stone by stone, accepting every outstretched hand of help along the way.

That's entirely fair enough mate, it sounds like you've been through it but simultaneously sounds like you're on the right path from what you've kindly shared on here in my humble opinion. Onwards and upwards.

Me I'm just trying to figure out how to not get down about it being cold, dark and miserable for the next 6 months as it just totally kills my energy flat out. And it happens every year so it shouldn't be a surprise either but once the clocks go back it's verging on a brick show.

Good posts chaps, thumbs up to all of you for that; and of course I hope things generally improve for you all.

PS - just remember if something takes 10 years off your life, those are the 10 years at the end from 83 to 93 when you are incontinent, can't stand up, can't eat, can't stop shaking, can't remember things...

DBT therapy is incredible. Via my daughter, our family has been doing it since March. It has been of a tremendous benefit to us all, as it gives you a 'tool-kit' to apply with regards to actions you might take. As long as one is committed to the course, puts the work in, and is honest with themselves, it will bring incredible benefits.

What they are finding with teenagers -especially teenage girls- is that there is often a mis-diagnosis with ADHD and BPD. It is actually (scarily) possible to have both!!!! Horrendous.

10 years off your life? That is the sort of information which lacks context and is still speculative. Unhelpful would be my thought. Those meds may very well have extended your life by many years.

If you don't know Eckhart Tolle, give him a spin. Good luck mate...

What they are finding with teenagers -especially teenage girls- is that there is often a mis-diagnosis with ADHD and BPD. It is actually (scarily) possible to have both!!!! Horrendous.

10 years off your life? That is the sort of information which lacks context and is still speculative. Unhelpful would be my thought. Those meds may very well have extended your life by many years.

If you don't know Eckhart Tolle, give him a spin. Good luck mate...
I didn't know BPD & ADHD were even close to being the same you learn something new every day. I am glad you & your family are all in it together without that it could fail. I hope it all works out for you.

The whole 10 year thing was a shock but I can live that. I have had the same psychiatrist for 8 years & we are honest with each other. Without her pushing for TMS I wouldn't have been excepted into the trial. If the psychiatrists when I was 16 had shown half the care & compassion she has i would never have had ECT commonly known as electric shock treatment.

Never heard of Eckhart Tolle so will check him out

Last edited:
DBT therapy is incredible. Via my daughter, our family has been doing it since March. It has been of a tremendous benefit to us all, as it gives you a 'tool-kit' to apply with regards to actions you might take. As long as one is committed to the course, puts the work in, and is honest with themselves, it will bring incredible benefits.

Never heard of dbt before! Do you have any good books to recommend on it? Sounds like it mixes mindfulness and CBT in an interesting way. Edit: found an entire workbook here which looks very useful.

Never heard of dbt before! Do you have any good books to recommend on it? Sounds like it mixes mindfulness and CBT in an interesting way. Edit: found an entire workbook here which looks very useful.

This is certainly a good starter book for sure, and looks like it offers a lot of good guidance. LMK what you think. Ultimately it will come down to how much the person wants to engage with both the work and themselves on an honest level.

I'm still deciding whether to treat my ADHD with medication or the therapy route
I have a chat in a couple of weeks with a medications specialist, had a chat about therapy earlier this week
Trouble is I zone out a lot so not sure if I had therapy I would even take it in, medication would be an instant fix but it worries me a bit

Do any of you have any "go to" books, articles or similar sources of information you use when emotions just get too fudging intense? I've been having suicidal thoughts in bouts when the emotions hit me too hard, and have been using the Letting Go book by David Hawkins to calm me down, but would love to hear if anyone here got any good advice on similar sources for when the thoughts get too overwhelming. I'm not suicidal, but can sometimes drive myself into a bit of a black corner where I just don't see any hope. I currently live at home with my parents who supports me no end, so no reason to worry, I will hold out and hold on and pray for better days. Just wanted to ask if anyone in here have some things you go to when things get really dark. Cheers.

Back