• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dempsey

To sign a £6m 29 year old primarily for non-sporting reasons without the manager rating that player seems to me irrational.

Even if you can make triple that in other revenue over the course of his contract? (remember how many t-shirts Ronaldo sold to the fanboys within his first season)

It's a simple question of "what then would you expect to happen"? If a player is signed primarily for non-sporting reasons then I would expect that player to get less game time than a player that was signed for sporting reasons.

Obviously the player needs to make decent TV time in order to keep all parties happy

Look - I see little point in debating this further as you seem to have made your mind up already (likewise), personally I strongly believe there was a whole lot more to his transfer than just sporting reasons - if you disagree fair enough

Last edited:
think it was a good bit of business - dont rate him a lot but has scored some important goals and woudl rather have him than comparable options.

I'm still waiting for him to start scoring the kind of wonder goals he did at Fulham.

And I'm not taking the tinkle either, I think he will.

Also, along with Parker/Sandro and Dawson he is a proper physical battler which is always good to have in a forward if they have some technique to go with it.

this guy deserves more attention:

ibwvpb9caWdmhD.gif

Worth repeating: he doesn't do much, but what he does wins us games and gives us points.

Think that was his 12th goal of the season, which is a very respectable return for a man who's been played at left midfield, right midfield, centre midfield, attacking midfield and striker during his short spell at the club so far. Far from a guaranteed starter as well.

He's a fantastic squad player to have.

Good performance today.

Still doesn't change my opinion that he's not good enough if we are to progress. At his age, he's only going to get worse, and I don't see anything he can do that Sigurdsson couldn't also do if given a run in the team.

Good performance today.

Still doesn't change my opinion that he's not good enough if we are to progress. At his age, he's only going to get worse, and I don't see anything he can do that Sigurdsson couldn't also do if given a run in the team.

Nope. He's good enough. Keep him, keep Sig, add quality striker and a playmaker plus one more wide attacking mid...12 goals from the positions he's been playing this season is outstanding.

Nope. He's good enough. Keep him, keep Sig, add quality striker and a playmaker plus one more wide attacking mid...12 goals from the positions he's been playing this season is outstanding.

If we add the players you want the squad is full. I think we're going to struggle to find anyone to take Adebayor off our hands so assume we're stuck with him for another season. Say we bring in a new striker and a new playmaker. Assuming that Bale, Lennon, Sandro and Dembele are already on the team sheet, we'll have the following competing for the positions Dempsey can play in:

New striker
Adebayor
Defoe
-------------
New playmaker
Sigurdsson
Holtby

I don't see the need for him. If he wants to stay and be backup then fine, but I don't rate him above any of the players listed (maybe Holtby who I haven't made my mind up about yet, but it's still his first half season in English football so he deserves a chance), and I doubt at his age he wants to be that far down the pecking order - nor does it probably make financial sense given his wages to have a player that won't get any game time.

Also, 12 goals is a decent return but it's hardly outstanding. Van Der Vaart scored more than that in both his seasons here whilst playing in effectively the same position of behind the striker or as a wide player that comes inside. Kevin Nolan and Hal Robson-Kanu have both scored as many league goals as Dempsey this season, would you want either of them anywhere near Spurs?

I can't think of a player that gets more unjustified nonsense written about him than Dempsey. Guy has good technique, work ethic and an eye for goal. Keep it up mate!

I can't think of a player that gets more unjustified nonsense written about him than Dempsey. Guy has good technique, work ethic and an eye for goal. Keep it up mate!

And I love seeing his passion when we score, his celebration of Ade's goal today was brilliant

who would you sell?

Depending on who we can get in, I would certainly look at moving Scotty Parker on, I'd balance my suggested signing of a wide attacking mid against whether Townshend is good enough, and depending on that conclusion possibly sell Townshend, I believe Benny is on the way too so that's another out the door, Gallas off the wage bill too, ditto Brad, you'd have to think it's time to sell Falque. I would do everything I could to keep Dempsey, Sig, Carroll, Dembele, Sandro, Holtby and Hudd as I absolutely believe they will never all be fit as one squad-strength unit for more than a few weeks of any season. Thus the big switch would be an upgrade on Scotty Parker.

I know the Dempsey opinions have been rampant for a while, but at this point, I genuinely believe that negative ones/ones questioning his impact on the side have to be considered 100% subjective as he has absolutely done his talking on the pitch this season. And while I'm here, credit to your man Sig for buckling down and showing the aptitude, nerve and suss to develop himself further and start being the player I hoped (but sometimes doubted) he could be. A huge positive. In fact, when I look at how pretty much everyone in the squad has stepped up these past few weeks, it's been really REALLY heartwarming.

Is Townshend some kind of Martin Jol tribute way of pronouncing Townsend? ;)

Should we do this for more of our players? Llorish? Dempshey? Dawshon?

Depending on who we can get in, I would certainly look at moving Scotty Parker on, I'd balance my suggested signing of a wide attacking mid against whether Townshend is good enough, and depending on that conclusion possibly sell Townshend, I believe Benny is on the way too so that's another out the door, Gallas off the wage bill too, ditto Brad, you'd have to think it's time to sell Falque. I would do everything I could to keep Dempsey, Sig, Carroll, Dembele, Sandro, Holtby and Hudd as I absolutely believe they will never all be fit as one squad-strength unit for more than a few weeks of any season. Thus the big switch would be an upgrade on Scotty Parker.

I know the Dempsey opinions have been rampant for a while, but at this point, I genuinely believe that negative ones/ones questioning his impact on the side have to be considered 100% subjective as he has absolutely done his talking on the pitch this season. And while I'm here, credit to your man Sig for buckling down and showing the aptitude, nerve and suss to develop himself further and start being the player I hoped (but sometimes doubted) he could be. A huge positive. In fact, when I look at how pretty much everyone in the squad has stepped up these past few weeks, it's been really REALLY heartwarming.

I've asked this before to someone else and i'll ask this again:

You have suggested we sign a playmaker and wide midfielder whilst getting rid of Parker and Townsend. So that's

Dembele
Sandro
new Playmaker
Sigurdsson
Dempsey
Huddlestone
Carroll
Bale
Lennon
new wide midfielder
Holtby

So that's 10 players vying for 5 positions. This would mean around 2 or 3 of these players probably wouldn't even be making the bench...and these are all players that expect a considerable amount of minutes (bar maybe Carroll). Personally i think it's overkill and wouldn't work.

Last edited:
I've asked this before to someone else and i'll ask this again:

You have suggested we sign a playmaker and wide midfielder whilst getting rid of Parker and Townsend. So that's

Dembele
Sandro
new Playmaker
Sigurdsson
Dempsey
Huddlestone
Carroll
Bale
Lennon
new wide midfielder

So that's 10 players vying for 5 positions. This would mean around 2 or 3 of these players probably wouldn't even be making the bench...and these are all players that expect a considerable amount of minutes (bar maybe Carroll). Personally i think it's overkill and wouldn't work.

i forgot Holtby...

KD: That's one more player than we've had this season, isn't it? One central midfielder replacing Parker, one additional wide midfielder/winger coming in.

I think that's fine, although I think arguably we could send Carroll out on loan if we manage to find the right central midfielder and the right loan move for Carroll.

Edit: Holtby too, yes. That's still only one more player than we've had the second half of this season. And honestly in midfield apart from the Sandro/Parker injuries (essentially one player missing all season in total) we haven't had a lot of injuries this season.

Back