• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dele Alli

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ottenham-tension-arsenal-jack-clarke-transfer

Some key quotes:

"To Daniel Levy, the numbers added up, and to Jack Clarke, the 18-year-old Leeds winger, it was a dream move, the chance to continue his development at Tottenham in the Premier League. Levy had been alerted to Clarke’s potential by statistical analysis of his performances last season and, at a cost of around £10m rising to £11.5m, the Spurs chairman felt it all made sense.

Levy closed the deal at the end of June but there would be one problem: Mauricio Pochettino did not want Clarke in his squad this season. Leeds had asked for a loan-back at the beginning of the negotiations only to be told by Levy there was no chance of it happening. It was never on the table and then, all of a sudden, it was."

"The story raises all sorts of questions at Spurs, one of which relates to the functionality of their recruitment strategy. Levy wanted Clarke, he saw him as a useful squad member and paid a fair amount of money for him, but Pochettino would not even look at the player in training. It is inconceivable that Pochettino did not discuss Clarke’s readiness for the Premier League with Marcelo Bielsa, the Leeds manager and his mentor.

What it certainly does do is shine a light on the sense that all has not been well at Spurs over the summer and goes some way towards explaining why Pochettino has been so irritable of late."

The land purchase and pre-development costs were all before those last four years mate. I think if we add on what was already spent prior to those 4 pretty much break even years when Poch produced a miracle, we're probably talking more like £1.2 billion. As I said before Levy was clever not ever actually putting out a budget as that way he doesn't have to answer for just how much over budget he went.

I think trying to pin blame on Levy with regards to budget/time over runs just shows a bit of an agenda against him tbh and/or a real lack of understanding of huge building projects or appreciation of what is involved - build cost spiralling and time delays in big builds are common place, especially in one as complex as ours (location and logistics, the short time frame, multiple 'firsts' within the build itself etc)

Last edited:
https://www.thegua
[URL]https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/aug/30/mauricio-pochettino-daniel-levy-tottenham-tension-arsenal-jack-clarke-transfer
Some key quotes:

"To Daniel Levy, the numbers added up, and to Jack Clarke, the 18-year-old Leeds winger, it was a dream move, the chance to continue his development at Tottenham in the Premier League. Levy had been alerted to Clarke’s potential by statistical analysis of his performances last season and, at a cost of around £10m rising to £11.5m, the Spurs chairman felt it all made sense.

Levy closed the deal at the end of June but there would be one problem: Mauricio Pochettino did not want Clarke in his squad this season. Leeds had asked for a loan-back at the beginning of the negotiations only to be told by Levy there was no chance of it happening. It was never on the table and then, all of a sudden, it was."

"The story raises all sorts of questions at Spurs, one of which relates to the functionality of their recruitment strategy. Levy wanted Clarke, he saw him as a useful squad member and paid a fair amount of money for him, but Pochettino would not even look at the player in training. It is inconceivable that Pochettino did not discuss Clarke’s readiness for the Premier League with Marcelo Bielsa, the Leeds manager and his mentor.

What it certainly does do is shine a light on the sense that all has not been well at Spurs over the summer and goes some way towards explaining why Pochettino has been so irritable of late."

rdian.com/football/2019/aug/30/mauricio-pochettino-daniel-levy-tottenham-tension-arsenal-jack-clarke-transfer[/URL]

Some key quotes:

Some key quotes from who exactly? The journo writing piece?

I mean really?

The land purchase and pre-development costs were all before those last four years mate. I think if we add on what was already spent prior to those 4 pretty much break even years when Poch produced a miracle, we're probably talking more like £1.2 billion. As I said before Levy was clever not ever actually putting out a budget as that way he doesn't have to answer for just how much over budget he went.
How do you know that?

Journos gotta get paid, there's no substance to that article and is little more than opinion piece

Ok then, i take it you think he is bullsh!tting. I'll remember that whenever a similar article is quoted, especially from the same journo, that lauds Levy, talks in positive tones about the club etc

I'll leave it there

Ok then, i take it you think he is bullsh!tting. I'll remember that whenever a similar article is quoted, especially from the same journo, that lauds Levy, talks in positive tones about the club etc

I'll leave it there

You'll rarely if ever see me quoting a journalists opinion piece to support my opinions.

And If you're the type of person to think Levy would think a 17 year old kid who had barely played a handful of games in the Championship would be ready to be a useful squad member in a top 4 side then it probably is best you leave it there as it's naive in the extreme.

Last edited:
But it DOES matter. If, as you seem to suggest, 3 of the 4 buys were Poch ones but that Clarke (the first one in btw) was not and was actually a Levy buy, well that sheds a whole new light on our transfer activity over the last few years and perhaps going forwards...
I meant none of them matter, as to who signed them, as Jose is the one now dealing with them.

Who decided buys and by what method is all conjecture.

I'll leave it there
:)

Keep bringing all the journo pieces you like, on any subject, they're barely submittable to support any point of view.

You'll be quoting Talksport next.

You'll rarely if ever see me quoting a journalists opinion piece to support my opinions.

And If you're the type of person to think Levy would think a 17 year old kid who had barely played a handful of games in the Championship would be ready to be a useful squad member in a top 4 side then it probably is best you leave it there as it's naive in the extreme.

I'm the type of person to look at the details of what is happening in front of us and then possible look for explanations as to why. Ultimately, only thoise fully working within the club at certain levels will know. However, this site wouldn't exist if it was only based on what is actually known by any of us.
What we can do is ask:

- Why buy a young player that is then sent out on loan - something Poch rarely did, if ever at all? Again probably a Levy-led 'punt' - unless you believe Poch had changed his philosophy on loans to the point he wanted players bought to loan straightaway..again, something i don't believe he'd ever done before..

- Why not take such a 'loanback' punt on a player in an area of far greater need, e.g. defensive midfield?

Again, one can dismiss any article one likes, but the proof is in the pudding; the article suggested there was disharmony between Poch and the club re transfer dealings, as well as things not being right generally behind the scenes...and lo and behold, Poch and Levy part ways a couple of months later when many (including many on here) said it could never happen because "Poch and Levy are so close", "have an incredible relationship" etc. So perhaps the article was onto something, even if we don't agree with every last bit of it.

You don't like opinion pieces. Cool. I find some interesting and sometimes seemingly close to what feels like what is being seen in front of us.

But as i say, i'll leave it there.

I meant none of them matter, as to who signed them, as Jose is the one now dealing with them.

Who decided buys and by what method is all conjecture.

In the specifics of those particular players and Jose right now, no it doesn't matter.

Going forward from here re future signings, it absolutely DOES matter (if signings were made over Poch's head, they can be made over any manager's head...and that eventually will lead to problems, especially with the likes of Jose..)

In the specifics of those particular players and Jose right now, no it doesn't matter.

Going forward from here re future signings, it absolutely DOES matter (if signings were made over Poch's head, they can be made over any manager's head...and that eventually will lead to problems, especially with the likes of Jose..)

Would Levy have been responsible for the signings of three Argentina players without Poch's knowledge/consent?

Beggars belief.

Journos gotta get paid, there's no substance to that article and is little more than opinion piece.

Why would a journo that makes a living reporting on Spurs and needs access to press conferences and club briefings and the like put all that on the line just to make up a story about Levy and Clarke that no one really picked up upon.

Back