• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dele Alli

What mid table club is making £40/50m transfers? Neverton... Their about to announce the losses and that’s gonna cause them a LOT of issues with FFP

Emirates Marketing Project have barely paid over £50m for a player. Rodri is their record at £62m or basically NDombele money. The difference of course is they have invested that kind of money over a number of windows but they haven’t had any restraints on them as their funded by a country

I’m now of the view that if we dont continue to invest the new money coming in then yeah I’ll go with the Levy is a tight arse crew, but I don’t look back and knock what we did as at the time it made sense. People forget that we had to rent Wembley too during the ground over run and that may have had an impact on the finances that we wouldn’t have budgeted for and those attendances dropped noticeably

Everton, Leicester, Saudi Sportswashing Machine and West Ham all have transfer records at least £40 million now. Wolves 30 million. Even the likes of Bournemouth and and Palace are in the mid 20s, which was basically our transfer record until Sánchez a couple of seasons back.

One could argue that the incredibly tight schedule we had for moving in, on such a big project, was a mistake but oh well, not the thread.

Either way, you're right. Now we've moved in. We know how overbudget we are. We know roughly how much season tickets will be, how much food and drink brings in, how much hospitality brings in.

We'll see if our spending actually changes. I'm not particularly impressed by a 100 million one off window, in a world where TV money has become insane and we've essentially been net 0 on transfers for about 5 seasons now.

It's now quite clear, even for those who were bashing Poch, that this team is at the end of the line and will need a lot of careful investment over the next couple of years. And barring a big turnaround, it seems we'll be doing it from a position of weakness too.

It's now quite clear, even for those who were bashing Poch, that this team is at the end of the line and will need a lot of careful investment over the next couple of years. And barring a big turnaround, it seems we'll be doing it from a position of weakness too.
Good point, failure to qualify for the CL could be a big turn-off for the top talent.

Would hope that Mourinho (if he's still here), the new stadium and training ground plus the attraction of London might go some way to countering that.

What mid table club is making £40/50m transfers? Neverton... Their about to announce the losses and that’s gonna cause them a LOT of issues with FFP

Emirates Marketing Project have barely paid over £50m for a player. Rodri is their record at £62m or basically NDombele money. The difference of course is they have invested that kind of money over a number of windows but they haven’t had any restraints on them as their funded by a country

I’m now of the view that if we dont continue to invest the new money coming in then yeah I’ll go with the Levy is a tight arse crew, but I don’t look back and knock what we did as at the time it made sense. People forget that we had to rent Wembley too during the ground over run and that may have had an impact on the finances that we wouldn’t have budgeted for and those attendances dropped noticeably
True that the second season at Wembley wasn't likely to be in the financial figures. That being said the average attendance for the season was over 67,000 - so actually higher than the capacity of WHL. Admittedly at a lower ticket price than we're charging at the new stadium.

I do find it quite remarkable though that for the four years prior to the transfer window just gone we pretty much broke even on transfers (average of £5 million net spend each each year). Despite such a paltry spend and keeping wages below 50% of revenues that were climbing significantly each year we still managed to enter our stadium with a whopping £637 million of debt.

I doubt the numbers will ever be released (as I suspect they are somewhat embarrassing for Levy) but it would be interesting to see just how much over budget we went with the stadium. Previously I've estimated £200 million, but it wouldn't surprise me if the real number is actually a fair amount larger than that as surely it was never our financial plan to actually spend £1 billion on the thing?

I'm sure Levy will still pay himself a whopping great bonus though for a job well done.

True that the second season at Wembley wasn't likely to be in the financial figures. That being said the average attendance for the season was over 67,000 - so actually higher than the capacity of WHL. Admittedly at a lower ticket price than we're charging at the new stadium.

I do find it quite remarkable though that for the four years prior to the transfer window just gone we pretty much broke even on transfers (average of £5 million net spend each each year). Despite such a paltry spend and keeping wages below 50% of revenues that were climbing significantly each year we still managed to enter our stadium with a whopping £637 million of debt.

I doubt the numbers will ever be released (as I suspect they are somewhat embarrassing for Levy) but it would be interesting to see just how much over budget we went with the stadium. Previously I've estimated £200 million, but it wouldn't surprise me if the real number is actually a fair amount larger than that as surely it was never our financial plan to actually spend £1 billion on the thing?

I'm sure Levy will still pay himself a whopping great bonus though for a job well done.
The club was using that money to buy land and pay for pre development costs too
The whole build with land and other things was about a £B

I would speculate that your final sentence did not go down well in Denmark last time it happened.

True that the second season at Wembley wasn't likely to be in the financial figures. That being said the average attendance for the season was over 67,000 - so actually higher than the capacity of WHL.
That was the average for our first full season at Wembley. Second season (ie last) the average was around 54,000.

When did they arrive? Lo Celso? A CLASSIC bit of Levy wheeling and dealing. Poch wanted signing for the start of pre-season. He got one out of three, he did not know who was staying or going and he did not know who he might end up with right up until the window closed. Sorry, whichever way you slice it, this is a terrible way for a Champions League Finalist to behave. We had a window early doors to attract the very very best, or at the very least, give Poch what he wanted EARLY! Instead we ended up wondering if we'd get LoCelso or another fudging Raziak. I'm sure the dressing room were fired up!!!!! I will always wonder what would've happened had Dybala actually got across the line...
Sigh. (as you would say Steff:))....this has been done to death. Basically La Celso c.ould of been with us approx 10/11 days before he was at the earliest. Clark, Ndombele early, Sessegnon couldn't run, we c.ould of got him in early and paid 6 weeks wages for someone with a torn hamstring.:rolleyes:

Threre's very little stick to beat Levy with here.

It almost like there needs to be some 'heavy' blame for people to get closure on something.

Last edited:
Sigh. (as you would say Steff:))....this has been done to death. Basically La Celso should have been with us approx 10/11 days before he was. Clark, Ndombele early, Sessegnon couldn't run, we c.ould of got him in early and paid 6 weeks wages for someone with a torn hamstring.:rolleyes:

Threre's very little stick to beat Levy with here.

It almost like there needs to be some 'heavy' blame for people to get closure on something.

Interesting on Clark though eh? I mean whose buy actually was that??

it don't really matter. Ndombele La Celso Sess could all be Poch buys....and that doesn't matter either now.

Their destiny all in Jose's hands now

But it DOES matter. If, as you seem to suggest, 3 of the 4 buys were Poch ones but that Clarke (the first one in btw) was not and was actually a Levy buy, well that sheds a whole new light on our transfer activity over the last few years and perhaps going forwards...

But it DOES matter. If, as you seem to suggest, 3 of the 4 buys were Poch ones but that Clarke (the first one in btw) was not and was actually a Levy buy, well that sheds a whole new light on our transfer activity over the last few years and perhaps going forwards...
So your saying the high value ones brought did the first team are the least important ones
And Daniel levy scouts players???

So your saying the high value ones bought did the first team are the least important ones
And Daniel levy scouts players???

I was asking at the outset: what was the Clarke buy all about? Was it a player Poch wanted?
I ask because it looks very weird all-round when you look at what's happened with him..it looks like it was NOT a Poch buy at all..

I was asking at the outset: what was the Clarke buy all about? Was it a player Poch wanted?
I ask because it looks very weird all-round when you look at what's happened with him..it looks like it was NOT a Poch buy at all..

It's not that weird, a punt for the future that we signed and loaned back to the club he was developed at.

What's weird is the strange hang up our fans seem to have over this deal

It's not that weird, a punt for the future that we signed and loaned back to the club he was developed at.

What's weird is the strange hang up our fans seem to have over this deal

A 'punt for the future' seemingly not wanted by our own manager at the time, who had been asking for squad reinforcements for now...and then it opens up a pandora's box about which players who were bought in the past were actually wanted by Poch and how many of them were bought as 'punts'....

Not weird at all

It really really isn't, the club has a responsibility to think long term as well as short term and if they trust a recommendation of what is essentially little more than an academy level player as being a good signing then they should go for it, it's the type deal we always made when we had a DoF. The only difference here is people had the idea this player is close to furst team football for us and are frustrated he isn't featuring

It really really isn't, the club has a responsibility to think long term as well as short term and if they trust a recommendation of what is essentially little more than an academy level player as being a good signing then they should go for it, it's the type deal we always made when we had a DoF. The only difference here is people had the idea this player is close to furst team football for us and are frustrated he isn't featuring

I think the real frustration is the way the first team has been allowed to stagnate through lack of activity, and then when activity happens it seems wasted when we had pressing needs to sort out the 'now' rather than again focusing on 'punts' (and said focus on 'punts' possibly having led to our current malaise..)

I think the real frustration is the way the first team has been allowed to stagnate through lack of activity, and then when activity happens it seems wasted when we had pressing needs to sort out the 'now' rather than again focusing on 'punts' (and said focus on 'punts' possibly having led to our current malaise..)

I doubt very much a 10m 17 year old barely out of academy football, signing for the future, had any impact on us being able to sign anyone for the first team. Anyone holding that frustration probably needs to cop on to themselves tbqh

Haha, we are told all the time about how "signings can only be made if we can get x players off the books" etc etc, so in our current situation it seems ANY signing we do has an impact (we were the ones who didn't make one signing one summer when it was clear we needed some remember...)

Haha, we are told all the time about how "signings can only be made if we can get x players off the books" etc etc, so in our current situation it seems ANY signing we do has an impact (we were the ones who didn't make one signing one summer when it was clear we needed some remember...)

Jesus christ he's not even registered in the squad so literally has no impact.

The club was using that money to buy land and pay for pre development costs too
The whole build with land and other things was about a £B
The land purchase and pre-development costs were all before those last four years mate. I think if we add on what was already spent prior to those 4 pretty much break even years when Poch produced a miracle, we're probably talking more like £1.2 billion. As I said before Levy was clever not ever actually putting out a budget as that way he doesn't have to answer for just how much over budget he went.

Back