• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dele Alli

If Dele played for a United or Pool he would not be going through the majority of this partisan bad press.
Its sadly part of the international football scene in the media.

Not helped by the attitude of the vast majority of tribal football......followers!

i would have thought Alli was seen as a sure starter for the WC and Southgate is just testing his options these last couple of games
Me too. Although that is a much less clickable article than 'to Dele or not to Dele'. Just like Kane hurt his ankle and nobody knows how bad it is versus "Kane World Cup in danger".

I noticed Dele didn't play too much in the last 2 England games... Slightly injured or is his place in world cup under threat... If so he should be fired up for the rest of the season and particularly against Chelscum..

Have I missed anything in the media about him?

COYS
Southgate said that Alli was unable to finish the training sessions, so wasn't fit enough to play for long

I just assumed the issue was that, in Kane's absence, we were trying our counter-attacking attack. Alli and Kane are our starting possession-based duo, while Vardy/Stirling/Rashford are the options later from the bench or if we are getting hammered and not seeing any of the ball

The current least worst choice for England manager said:
I have a problem because I have Marcus Rashford, Jesse Lingard, Raheem Sterling, Harry Kane, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Jamie Vardy so there is a huge choice

So, including Alli, that means he has three decent footballers for four spots. His problem is that he's an international standard player short of a front four, not that he has too many.

So, including Alli, that means he has three decent footballers for four spots. His problem is that he's an international standard player short of a front four, not that he has too many.

Of those players Rashford, Lindgard and Oxo don’t start regularly for their clubs so how is he picking on form? Or is it a case of judging players on 2 friendlies against teams not good enough for the World Cup then...

He is picking from a very average pool of players.

Harry and Walker are the only truly good enough players to take on a top ranked side.
Then we move on to those who can do a job.
We have no Ericksen or Yan types in the squad.
We need Wheelchair fit that's how desperate the squad is. Lallana is still some ways off IMHO
The rest are very inexperienced at that level.

Last edited:
Gareth Southgate tells Dele Alli to grow up
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/gareth-southgate-tells-dele-alli-to-grow-up-nq9kjtm57

... and of course, there are no quotes in there saying anything like that.

The Guardian, on the other hand, are less biased, as per usual:

Gareth Southgate tells Dele Alli he is not a shoo-in to start for England
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/mar/28/gareth-southgate-dele-alli-england-world-cup

“We want competition for places but there was no ulterior motive to leaving him out. We wanted to look at Raheem again but Dele is still an important player for us. He is in the mix.”

-----

Then you got the lot of fans from other teams saying, "fudge yeah, finally an England manager saying it like it is" and so on, based on the Times article. You just have to laugh, really. :p

I just assumed the issue was that, in Kane's absence, we were trying our counter-attacking attack. Alli and Kane are our starting possession-based duo, while Vardy/Stirling/Rashford are the options later from the bench or if we are getting hammered and not seeing any of the ball
Sorry but there is no way Sterling is behind Dele in the pecking order and to suggest he's not good enough for a possession based team is ridiculous when playing under Guardiola. As highlighted in the last two games Sterling is an important player and is guaranteed a start as much,if not more so than Dele....

Personally I think a little rest and told he’s not guaranteed to start has done him a favour. I have no doubt that at whatever point he plays in next the WC he will relish the bigger stage and if it is from the bench it will actually take some pressure off him as opposed to having most of the creative responsibility on his shoulders. The way he stepped up from MK Dons and looked at home from day 1, his CL performances and initial international appearances make me believe he will only get better on the bigger stage.

Dele is no Theo - he'll go to the WC and he'll get some minutes. On that note, I hope Theo enjoys watching another World Cup hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Sorry but there is no way Sterling is behind Dele in the pecking order and to suggest he's not good enough for a possession based team is ridiculous when playing under Guardiola. As highlighted in the last two games Sterling is an important player and is guaranteed a start as much,if not more so than Dele....

I believe Dele is more versatile than Sterling and has more strings to his bow. They are also not vying for the same spot so pecking order doesn't come into it. Dele can go upfront as can Sterling but Dele is capable of filling a midfield birth. Stirling is a 'billy whizz' and can be excellent but can be made to look unimaginative against better defenders and remember has Silva and De Bruyne as facilitators we have Dier and Henderson.

I believe Dele is more versatile than Sterling and has more strings to his bow. They are also not vying for the same spot so pecking order doesn't come into it. Dele can go upfront as can Sterling but Dele is capable of filling a midfield birth. Stirling is a 'billy whizz' and can be excellent but can be made to look unimaginative against better defenders and remember has Silva and De Bruyne as facilitators we have Dier and Henderson.
Well he didnt look unimaginative against Italian defenders. The point is Gutter Boy making out that Dele would be in a possession based side and Sterling wouldnt which is ridiculous....

Back