• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dele Alli

Thought he worked tirelessly last night, ran his socks off on what was must have been a very draining and difficult surface to play on. Some of his one touch play was lovely, he linked the deeper midfield to the attack well (looked as though Eriksen was tasked with staying deeper to collect the ball, obvs a trustier first touch in the conditions).

He thoroughly deserved his goal. Looked shattered by the end of the game, just hope he's not wiped out for tomorrow.
Yeah, that pitch must have been horrid. It was like watching highlights from the late '80s, or an early-round FA Cup match against some plucky underdogs.*

Would have seriously sapped energy, and I bet our forwards are feeling it in their lower legs. Hopefully we've got enough options to carry us through tomorrow. Kane got rested, at least, but I worry about Eriksen, Son and Alli. They're all youngsters, thankfully, so should recover quickly. Could be a good game for some Winks-Wanyama action, with Dier on standby, allowing Eriksen, Son, Alli, Lamela and Sissoko to split the three AM positions between them.

* Magic Of The Cup © BBC

Another that has played his way back to form. Won't stop people claiming that wonderful players with a form blip should be dropped though.

That is just the natural consequence of the 11-players-on-the-pitch limitation. An off-form player has a lower ability compared to his best and a Poch must make the decision about knowing the consequences, something that we don't need to bother about. We can just wait for the results and point finger towards each other and just saying "I told you"

Involved a lot today and did well, although there was a good deal that didn't come off for him as well. Overdue a real match-winning performance.

So true. His effort everywhere today was immense, as it has been since November. Even beforehand he was trying but unable to click for a variety of reasons depending on your perspective. I think it is clear that Poch manages him superbly, and if the rumours of his wanting to sign the extension and stay another couple of years are true, it will surely be because of how Poch handles and manages him.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

He's good in front of goal, I think that he's just having one of those runs that all players get every now and then.

Actually disagree, he's not bad in front goal, but he's not clinical. Even end of last season when he was banging them in, he'd miss an absolute sitter per game, no different this season.

What does make him good is he usually will miss a sitter, then put another chance in later in the game (doesn't let it affect him or confidence), but he's not near being a clinical player, I'd say in our team Kane > Son > Eriksen >Dele in terms of finishing ability.

Actually disagree, he's not bad in front goal, but he's not clinical. Even end of last season when he was banging them in, he'd miss an absolute sitter per game, no different this season.

What does make him good is he usually will miss a sitter, then put another chance in later in the game (doesn't let it affect him or confidence), but he's not near being a clinical player, I'd say in our team Kane > Son > Eriksen >Dele in terms of finishing ability.
Statistically at least, there's not much in it between those two this season. Eriksen has been more accurate but less lethal overall. Maybe because he attempts more shots from distance than Dele?

1. Dele Alli

253 mins per goal

2278 mins played

9 Goals scored

10 Assists

Total shots 49; On target 18 (37%)

2. Christian Eriksen

332 mins per goal

2321 mins played

7 Goals scored

7 Assists

Total shots 45; on target 29 (45%)
However last season Dele (22 goals from 50 appearances) scored almost twice as many as Eriksen (12 from 48) so I suspect this season it's as much about a dip in form in front of goal by Dele as anything else.

Wow those stats - Alli has been getting pelters all season yet has contributed more than Eriksen in both goals and assists, surprised to see that tbh

Statistically at least, there's not much in it between those two this season. Eriksen has been more accurate but less lethal overall. Maybe because he attempts more shots from distance than Dele?

1. Dele Alli

253 mins per goal

2278 mins played

9 Goals scored

10 Assists

Total shots 49; On target 18 (37%)

2. Christian Eriksen

332 mins per goal

2321 mins played

7 Goals scored

7 Assists

Total shots 45; on target 29 (45%)
However last season Dele (22 goals from 50 appearances) scored almost twice as many as Eriksen (12 from 48) so I suspect this season it's as much about a dip in form in front of goal by Dele as anything else.
I don't agree that those stats are similar. Dele's been involved in 19 goals at 0.75 per 90 minutes, Eriksen in 14 at 0.54 per 90. That's 40% higher for Dele, which I did not expect at all.

Still, I'd imagine that most of Dele's chances come inside the box. He plays further forward, not far off a #10 role, so I'd expect more chance of an assist or goal from each of his touches. Perhaps Eriksen makes more second assists -- Eriksen --> Alli/Son --> Kane --> goal.

It's crazy that we're talking about Dele having a poor season when he's posting those numbers. If he keeps that up all season we're talking 15 goals and 16 assists -- while not quite hitting the heights of last season, that's one hell of a return from a non-striker.

@Spur of the moment & @billyiddo

Part of the difference between Dele & Eriksen, is Dele plays significantly closer to the goal

- My point (and not a slur on Dele), is given an equal opportunity chance, I'd bet on Kane/Son/Eriksen over Dele
- Eriksen tends to hit from further out as well (lower percentage shots) and is often the "Modric" i.e. the assist to the assist.
- I'd argue the person Dele is really competing with in the side is Son (attacker behind Kane)

No doubt Dele's form has been down this season, as I don't doubt it's improving over last few weeks

edit. @FatBloke made some of the same points at same time

Wow those stats - Alli has been getting pelters all season yet has contributed more than Eriksen in both goals and assists, surprised to see that tbh

I'd say that is to be expected as Eriksen goes deeper much more than Dele, so Dele is more advanced more often.

I think Dele has been playing well the last few games, just seems a bit sharper.

Back