• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dejan Kulusevski

You think Nunez, Diaz & Jota are better at converting chances than Son & Richarlison?

The stat is trying to create some equivalence between Salah & Kulu, and it makes no sense, and that doesn't meant Kulu is brick, just a very bad comparison, Salah is an elite level player

To @Bedfordspurs point, Salah is a more a Son player, would you really believe any stat that says Kulu is better/equal to Son?
The stat isn't trying to do anything, it's just a stat. May claim that the person tweeting that, or making that infographic is trying to do that, but it's difficult to judge intent here.

What that stat shows is that Kulu is creating a very good number of chances. Noting more, nothing less. Without saying anything about the quality of those chances or imo the quality of each player at creating chances relative to each other.

If Kulusevski, and the team in general, can turn more of those into higher quality chances that would be better. But creating a very good number of chances is also a good thing.

You have added an opinion

Liverpool conversion of xG is +0.18, Spurs is +0.34
So, we are significantly better at converting chances

The logical assumption (and yes, this is opinion, could dig more data) is Salah simply creates much better opportunities than Kulu

Anecdotally do you really disagree?
*Sigh* You just don't get it, so I won't waste anyone's time spelling it out for you.

You have added an opinion

Liverpool conversion of xG is +0.18, Spurs is +0.34
So, we are significantly better at converting chances

The logical assumption (and yes, this is opinion, could dig more data) is Salah simply creates much better opportunities than Kulu

Anecdotally do you really disagree?
As Billy pointed out, xA is probably the best you're going to get from (publically available) stats on this.

0.19 for Kulusevski, 0.27 for Salah (fbref, per 90 numbers). So yes, Salah produces better opportunities than Kulu.

Though overall team play, role in the team etc obviously plays a significant part.

A Son that is equally adept at creating. I love Son but his game is no where near as complete as Salah's.
Salah doesn’t normally have great stats for creation (sure someone will correct me!
But his record for goals is exceptional
But he doesn’t playing as a right wing.. he is a wide striker

Edit.. just checked and it’s 67 assists in 251 league games. That’s much more than I’d have guessed

Salah doesn’t normally have great stats for creation (sure someone will correct me!
But his record for goals is exceptional
But he doesn’t playing as a right wing.. he is a wide striker

Edit.. just checked and it’s 67 assists in 251 league games. That’s much more than I’d have guessed
In a 433 you kind of want at least one of your wide players to be a wide striker (ala Son/Salah). Then the other side can balance with a more creative biased player.

In an ideal world you have wide players capable of doing both. That's what was so magic about the Salah and Mane axis. They were very complete. Could dribble, good passing vision, good execution, great link up, plus an eye for goal and great finishing.

Kulu does fit the creative mould, although despite the stats I think he's been lacking a bit in finesse/precision and has shown some poor decision making. It makes him a frustrating player at times because he does so much of the play well but then holds on to it for too long, or cuts back when he really needs to push on the outside. I'm what it is, he could just be lacking in confidence or maybe the injury he got at the start of last season hasn't fully recovered but he seems unwilling to outside and he's just thinking about the play for a little bit too long. He needs to get into a quicker acting rhythm.

In a 433 you kind of want at least one of your wide players to be a wide striker (ala Son/Salah). Then the other side can balance with a more creative biased player.

In an ideal world you have wide players capable of doing both. That's what was so magic about the Salah and Mane axis. They were very complete. Could dribble, good passing vision, good execution, great link up, plus an eye for goal and great finishing.

Kulu does fit the creative mould, although despite the stats I think he's been lacking a bit in finesse/precision and has shown some poor decision making. It makes him a frustrating player at times because he does so much of the play well but then holds on to it for too long, or cuts back when he really needs to push on the outside. I'm what it is, he could just be lacking in confidence or maybe the injury he got at the start of last season hasn't fully recovered but he seems unwilling to outside and he's just thinking about the play for a little bit too long. He needs to get into a quicker acting rhythm.
I think kulu is suffering off the back of the illness he had
I agree that you need 2 of the front 3 scoring goals as a minimum and ideally creating
Mane and Salah hated each other but played so well together
Son scores goals and will be interesting seeing him with the right midfield
Richy also is showing what he can do. I’ve been so impressed with how he has stepped up since his injury
We need the other attackers to bring more goals when they are playing
We score over 2 goals a game so a target of 76 plus goals over a season is the right one
You would need the forwards to bring in 40-50 of those
Midfield 15-20
And defence 5-10
We’re achieving that currently

I think kulu is suffering off the back of the illness he had
I agree that you need 2 of the front 3 scoring goals as a minimum and ideally creating
Mane and Salah hated each other but played so well together
Son scores goals and will be interesting seeing him with the right midfield
Richy also is showing what he can do. I’ve been so impressed with how he has stepped up since his injury
We need the other attackers to bring more goals when they are playing
We score over 2 goals a game so a target of 76 plus goals over a season is the right one
You would need the forwards to bring in 40-50 of those
Midfield 15-20
And defence 5-10
We’re achieving that currently
As much as we are scoring it's also about the order of scoring. Scoring 2 first means sometimes we might keep a clean sheet. I finally watched the Everton game today and honestly I didn't think we were as poor as reported, in hindsight it looked like a game where we should have gotten the 3rd goal to seal the victory.

I also had a look at title winning in the last y seasons have all scored 80+ goals and most seasons 90+ so we actually do need to increase the numbers scored over the next few seasons if we want to get into a serious challenging spot. In 2017 we scored 86!

As much as we are scoring it's also about the order of scoring. Scoring 2 first means sometimes we might keep a clean sheet. I finally watched the Everton game today and honestly I didn't think we were as poor as reported, in hindsight it looked like a game where we should have gotten the 3rd goal to seal the victory.

I also had a look at title winning in the last y seasons have all scored 80+ goals and most seasons 90+ so we actually do need to increase the numbers scored over the next few seasons if we want to get into a serious challenging spot. In 2017 we scored 86!
We were unlucky vs Everton
but it was of our own making
better control with the ball would have made a huge difference
Bentacur gave away 4 passes that were “intercepted” but in reality we’re just brick
he wasn’t alone
but I think the quick turnaround and stupid timing didn’t help us either
I agree… more goals will be needed
we are actually in course to score 81 goals at our current rate which is bloody good for a team in transition and with injuries
if you go back beyond the last 3 seasons and the top team is scoring much less
pool won the title scoring 85… something we could match this season potentially

I hate singling players out, and yes he scored a great goal. But bloody hell he is so incredibly frustrating. When on the right he offered nothing (except the goal obviously), and continues to fail in either taking a man on or getting a cross in.

Then when he moved into the centre, he constantly underhit passes.

He certainly wasn't the only culprit in terms of a poor performance yesterday, but it's becoming a common theme.

I hate singling players out, and yes he scored a great goal. But bloody hell he is so incredibly frustrating. When on the right he offered nothing (except the goal obviously), and continues to fail in either taking a man on or getting a cross in.

Then when he moved into the centre, he constantly underhit passes.

He certainly wasn't the only culprit in terms of a poor performance yesterday, but it's becoming a common theme.

He was terrible (goal aside), and he's been poor for a run now.

Think Ange needs to make some calls, sitting Deki for a while is one of them.

Reactions: jrh

I just spent an hour in the freezing cold watching my son's football training. Such a frustrating bunch of 12 year olds. The coach must have shouted SIMPLE PASSES about 2000 times and still they were smashing it around at head height and inevitably off the pitch.
Spurs training must be very similar. You can imagine Ange screaming at Deki during training, USE YOUR RIGHT FOOT TO GET THE BALL ACROSS and Deki just shuffles left, shuffles left, shuffles left, fails.
300 times per training session, 7 days a week.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: jrh

Has been on the bench or subbed a bit recently.

Can't quite decide on if I think he's been poor because he's been poor or if it's because we're not playing well as a team. Probably both.

Showed for the goal what he can do, but for most of the game he didn't. I think he needs better service, more movement around him. But he also needs to do more himself.

Difficult at the moment as the primary option there (Johnson) has also been very much a moments player who struggles to make a consistent impact.

You can imagine Ange screaming at Deki during training, USE YOUR RIGHT FOOT TO GET THE BALL ACROSS and Deki just shuffles left, shuffles left, shuffles left, fails.
300 times per training session, 7 days a week.
Deki is a masochist, he said today that he is looking forwards to 2 weeks of solid training
Day1: USE YOUR RIGHT FOOT TO GET THE BALL ACROSS
Day2: USE YOUR RIGHT FOOT TO GET THE BALL ACROSS
Day3: USE YOUR RIGHT FOOT TO GET THE BALL ACROSS
Day4: USE YOUR RIGHT FOOT TO GET THE BALL ACROSS
Day5: USE YOUR RIGHT FOOT TO GET THE BALL ACROSS
Day6: USE YOUR RIGHT FOOT TO GET THE BALL ACROSS
Day7: USE YOUR RIGHT FOOT TO GET THE BALL ACROSS
Day8: USE YOUR RIGHT FOOT TO GET THE BALL ACROSS
Day9: USE YOUR RIGHT FOOT TO GET THE BALL ACROSS
Day10: USE YOUR RIGHT FOOT TO GET THE BALL ACROSS
Day11: USE YOUR RIGHT FOOT TO GET THE BALL ACROSS
Day12: USE YOUR RIGHT FOOT TO GET THE BALL ACROSS
Day13: Thank you. Now do it once more
Day14: USE YOUR RIGHT FOOT TO GET THE BALL ACROSS
Day15: USE YOUR RIGHT FOOT TO GET THE BALL ACROSS
Day16: USE YOUR RIGHT FOOT TO GET THE BALL ACROSS
Day17: USE YOUR RIGHT FOOT TO GET THE BALL ACROSS
Day18: USE YOUR RIGHT FOOT TO GET THE BALL ACROSS
Day19: USE YOUR RIGHT FOOT TO GET THE BALL ACROSS
Day20: USE YOUR RIGHT FOOT TO GET THE BALL ACROSS
Day21: USE YOUR RIGHT FOOT TO GET THE BALL ACROSS
Day22: USE YOUR RIGHT FOOT TO GET THE BALL ACROSS
Day23: USE YOUR RIGHT FOOT TO GET THE BALL ACROSS
Day24: USE YOUR RIGHT FOOT TO GET THE BALL ACROSS

He has showed what a good player he can be/has been for us but i do agree he can be a little inconsistant, however still only 23 so the chances he will get better are there as he has got the ability.
Only 23 and still relatively early in a somewhat new role and system with the team's performance as a whole fluctuating.

Most of what people don't like about his game right now isn't really an issue when he's fully firing.

In the past he imo has been a player who could play well even though we weren't very good as a team, and through that raise the overall performance of the team as well. Now he looks more like a player that needs others to do well for him to step up.

I think that's partly the role/system. He's pretty much always a threat if he can get the ball in a decent position with a bit of space. Under previous managers we relied more on counter attacking and he usually wasn't as wide. Perhaps that set him up in more of those good for him situations making him play better?

When he gets the ball wide with the opponents settled he needs more help imo. Porro, Sarr, Maddison. More runs, more avenues for combination play, decoy runs etc.

Only 23 and still relatively early in a somewhat new role and system with the team's performance as a whole fluctuating.

Most of what people don't like about his game right now isn't really an issue when he's fully firing.

In the past he imo has been a player who could play well even though we weren't very good as a team, and through that raise the overall performance of the team as well. Now he looks more like a player that needs others to do well for him to step up.

I think that's partly the role/system. He's pretty much always a threat if he can get the ball in a decent position with a bit of space. Under previous managers we relied more on counter attacking and he usually wasn't as wide. Perhaps that set him up in more of those good for him situations making him play better?

When he gets the ball wide with the opponents settled he needs more help imo. Porro, Sarr, Maddison. More runs, more avenues for combination play, decoy runs etc.

I think this is absolutely fair, but also, he has the ability to produce match winning moments, and in games such as Wolves it becomes more important. He did so well for the goal, and his only distance strike drew a great save. More of both!

I think this is absolutely fair, but also, he has the ability to produce match winning moments, and in games such as Wolves it becomes more important. He did so well for the goal, and his only distance strike drew a great save. More of both!
I think more support and better service to him will allow him to do more of both. But I also think that when on form he's capable of doing more with what he's already getting.

Back