• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

David Villa

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what do people think our chances are of signing him? I say 60%

I'd be surprised. 31 years old, recently been injured so no guarantee he'll be anywhere as good as he was two or three years ago, no re-sell value at all and would want high wages. Hopefully this would be an example of Baldini and AVB persuading Levy that the transfer strategy of the last 5 or 6 years has been inadequate and that we've achieved results in-spite of it, not because of it. A couple of quality 30 year old+ players in the team may be the difference between Champion's League football or not.

Daily Mail says Villa will decide between us and Fiorentina next week. They seem to think he'd prefer us.

And I realise that that just shows that people who bet believe that he will join us. But often money talks.

I think Franco will have earned yet more of his money by helping us secure this deal...Paulinho and this...

Someone on COYS who apparently called the original loan deal to bring Ade in has said he's been told Villa isn't happening as he has chosen Fiorentina.

Someone on COYS who apparently called the original loan deal to bring Ade in has said he's been told Villa isn't happening as he has chosen Fiorentina.

Honestly why would anybody choose Fiorentina over us apart from money

I honestly think he'll end up in Italy.

I don't think they've been linked but AC Milan seem to be the kind of team who spend big money/wages on players like that.

I honestly think he'll end up in Italy.

I don't think they've been linked but AC Milan seem to be the kind of team who spend big money/wages on players like that.

Consensus is that it's only us and Fiorentina in the running

I must have higher standards than you. Holtby tries I'll give him that. Vertonghen can do it from deep but he tries so often that it's a matter of averages that he'll succeed doing it occasionally but he is no master at it. Sig, Lennon and Sandro? Scraping the barrel. Our most incisive through ball passers last season were Dempsey and Parker, and that massively demonstrates that we do need to purchase a player to fulfil the role because no one else at the club can do it.

I'm not sure exactly how many through balls you expect from a player per match.

The average number of goals in a PL match is less than 3 - the average scored by the winning side is less than 2. Assuming most strikers will put away the majority of clear chances (let's ignore Ade's 'contribution' for now) then there will be at most an average of one or two good through balls from the entire team. I'd also expect a good pass like that to be considered a 'key pass' - even the top players only get 2 or 3 key passes per match.

As for Parker having been an effective passer - that's a pretty selective memory you've got there. He was effective for about 2 matches all season.

The guy on COYS was implying he prefers Italy over England in terms of lifestyle and his family etc

Maybe, its not like he has to actually live in Tottenham if he moved, some amazing places round where the players live in Essex

I'm not sure exactly how many through balls you expect from a player per match.

The average number of goals in a PL match is less than 3 - the average scored by the winning side is less than 2. Assuming most strikers will put away the majority of clear chances (let's ignore Ade's 'contribution' for now) then there will be at most an average of one or two good through balls from the entire team. I'd also expect a good pass like that to be considered a 'key pass' - even the top players only get 2 or 3 key passes per match.

As for Parker having been an effective passer - that's a pretty selective memory you've got there. He was effective for about 2 matches all season.

Nothing new about that though.

OPTA defines Key Passes as: The final pass or pass-cum-shot leading to the recipient of the ball having an attempt at goal without scoring.

Parker managed one assist, while Lennon got 7 and Bale, Sig, Walker, Dempsey and Hudd got 4. Both Chelsea and Arsenal had two players on double figures in terms of assists, but I put that down to them scoring more than us.

The stats show this in terms of Key Passes:

Bale 2.3 per game
Lennon 2
Dembele 1.8
Walker 1.5
Holtby 1.2
Ade 1.1
Dempsey 1.1
Hudd 1.1
Sandro 1

Best in the league:

Silva 3.3
Baines 3.1
Suarez 2.7
Mata 2.7

It would be a shame if we missed out I have just read an article on newsnow speculating whether Villa would be perfect for bringing the best out of Ade and to be fair may have a point - he did a lot better when he had VDV's intelligence and movement alongside him. I think a front three of Ade, Villa & Bale could work very well and be very fluid.

Hadley Wood, Arkley, Totteridge, Hampstead as well.

To be fair Florence is supposed to be stunningly beautiful and sadly you can't deny that Italy is more naturally beautiful country than England/UK. This could be a very important factor when you consider the man hasn't lived outside of Spain whilst also having plied his trade in two Sun kissed cities both with beautiful Mediterranean beaches.

But on the footballing side they are in the same position as us, finishing just outside the CL places whilst also having quite a bright future ahead of them, looks as if us and Fiorentina can offer the same footballing and financial offers but when looking at Fiorentina you can't deny that the life style could be a more of lure than the hustle and bustle of the metropolis that is London with is unpredictable weather.

Even if the odds don't seem to be in our favour I think that this is a player that we should fight tooth and nail to get.

Think he has a better chance of starting every game for us than Fiorentina at the moment, unless they plan to directly replace Jovetic with Villa?

To be fair Florence is supposed to be stunningly beautiful and sadly you can't deny that Italy is more naturally beautiful country than England/UK. This could be a very important factor when you consider the man hasn't lived outside of Spain whilst also having plied his trade in two Sun kissed cities both with beautiful Mediterranean beaches.

But on the footballing side they are in the same position as us, finishing just outside the CL places whilst also having quite a bright future ahead of them, looks as if us and Fiorentina can offer the same footballing and financial offers but when looking at Fiorentina you can't deny that the life style could be a more of lure than the hustle and bustle of the metropolis that is London with is unpredictable weather.

Even if the odds don't seem to be in our favour I think that this is a player that we should fight tooth and nail to get.

Agree. I should have clarified that my post was mentioning where most current Spurs players reside.

I've been to Florence, absolutely stunning city! Wouldn't be a huge transition lifestyle-wise from Spain either. If it does end up coming down to location, I'd be hopeful the lure of a big London club moving forward and playing in the PL would be enough of a draw for a Mediterranean player.

Completely with you on your last paragraph.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back