• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Danny Rose

Doesn't BAE have a bit of a nasty streak in him as well? Picked up a few straight red cards iirc, likes to shove people into advertising boards as they are running into touch. I think every team needs one or two mean characters anyway, but it's double standards to get your knickers in a twist over Rose's temper and not Ekotto's.

Doesn't BAE have a bit of a nasty streak in him as well? Picked up a few straight red cards iirc, likes to shove people into advertising boards as they are running into touch. I think every team needs one or two mean characters anyway, but it's double standards to get your knickers in a twist over Rose's temper and not Ekotto's.
One of them was from a corrupt ref when he tried to do a Zidane spin.

I am not sure he is nasty but he is a liabilty and we should sell if we we can.

I disagree. If he's actually willing to sign a new contract, then keep him around for this season: it'll be good to have two genuinely decent left-backs (although Davies is definitely better than Rose, Rose himself isn't too bad: not top six standard, but comfortably PL level, imo), and we can reassess his situation here after a year spent competing with Davies and (hopefully) improving under Poch.

It makes little sense to sell him if he's actually willing to stay, imo: the squad depth he offers may prove crucial as we enter the second half of the season and as cup competitions start piling up. Fryers won't cut it then. And, after this season's over, we can sit him down and say to him 'look, we've done right by you: we've given you a full-season as our undisputed number one left-back, and another as a fiercely competitive rotation option for Davies, with the latter demotion only occurring because you failed to impress in 2013-2014. Now, we'd love to keep you around as our second LB option full-time for as long as you want to stay in that role, but if you'd like to move on, we won't stand in your way.'

Whatever Rose subsequently decides, everyone'll likely be happy at that point.

I disagree. If he's actually willing to sign a new contract, then keep him around for this season: it'll be good to have two genuinely decent left-backs (although Davies is definitely better than Rose, Rose himself isn't too bad: not top six standard, but comfortably PL level, imo), and we can reassess his situation here after a year spent competing with Davies and (hopefully) improving under Poch.

It makes little sense to sell him if he's actually willing to stay, imo: the squad depth he offers may prove crucial as we enter the second half of the season and as cup competitions start piling up. Fryers won't cut it then. And, after this season's over, we can sit him down and say to him 'look, we've done right by you: we've given you a full-season as our undisputed number one left-back, and another as a fiercely competitive rotation option for Davies, with the latter demotion only occurring because you failed to impress in 2013-2014. Now, we'd love to keep you around as our second LB option full-time for as long as you want to stay in that role, but if you'd like to move on, we won't stand in your way.'

Whatever Rose subsequently decides, everyone'll likely be happy at that point.

Well imo Fryers would be a better back up to Davies and Rose is a liabilty (red card waiting to happen)

Well imo Fryers would be a better back up to Davies and Rose is a liabilty (red card waiting to happen)

Well, that's your considered opinion then, and I won't attempt to forcefully challenge it. Out of curiosity, though, apart from the red card issue which you brought up, is there any other reason you prefer Fryers to Rose?

Me too. Fryers has such better awareness, composure, positioning, sense of responsibility.

Fryers to me actually looks quite a bit like Ben Davies, so he'd be ideal like-for-like cover.

Me too. Fryers has such better awareness, composure, positioning, sense of responsibility.

Fryers to me actually looks quite a bit like Ben Davies, so he'd be ideal like-for-like cover.

I hope you then think Fryers is a better LB than CB? Fryers as a CB against Toronto was terrible...

I hope you then think Fryers is a better LB than CB? Fryers as a CB against Toronto was terrible...

I don't especially remember seeing him at CB. But I think he looked very comfortable at LB in the UEFA games I watched last year.

With Verts and Chiriches not in the US (while both Davies and Rose were), I think Poch playing him at CB was as much out of necessity than an indication of where he intends to use him.

Ben Davies has a lot of CB traits too, so it's possible we may at times go wonky at the back, with the RB pushing on and the LB tucking in as a third CB.

At LB he has showed promise, but with Daws in the second half against Toronto he looked out of depth. Lacked awareness for the second goal, he didnt pick up his man - who scored - when Daws was outfought just outside the box. Let's see if he can be useful in the league cup and/or EL as a LB.

He's awful, and an angry, angry little man.

Substitute the word "black" for "little" and see how that sentence reads.

Time to stand up* for the rights of short people.

* "but I am standing up!"

(In case it is not obvious, I am just kidding. I am a shorthouse and do find it amusing that people hold a lack of height against certain people, such as Tom Cruise or Mel Gibson. No one seems to use the term "lanky" as a pejorative adjective for Clint Eastwood - the long streak of p*ss.)

Crikey! How far off topic have I gone here?

What do people think of the idea of Danny Rose as a hustling Wilson Palacios-type central midfielder? He would probably draw an inordinate number of yellow cards, and I have doubts over his stamina, but he could be a real frikkin' nuisance to the opposition.

Last edited:
Rose's main flaw IMO is that he is not a good defender. He does not defend well nor does get back quickly after play breaks down. It's as simple as that for me. The angry height irrelevent man syndrome is a red herring.

Rose's main flaw IMO is that he is not a good defender. He does not defend well nor does get back quickly after play breaks down. It's as simple as that for me. The angry height irrelevent man syndrome is a red herring.

Could put that down to him being a winger until 3 years ago. Needs some decent coaching, some Poch seems to be good at.

Didn't Rose spout that if he wasn't 1st choice when he came back from Sunderland that he'd be off? If so what has changed?

Perhaps he thought he had made his mark as a prem player up there and was 1st team ready. But after last season has maybe toned down his aspirations.

That said, for all we know he could be in a straight fight with Davies for 1st choice. Maybe Poch gives everyone a fair chance.?

It's what you say AND what they say.....no either or here.

I think Rose has most of the attributes to be a very good wing back. He has shown flashes of how good he can be. The problem is he was an attacking player for his whole career until a few years ago he is still learning the trade. The issue is 1) is he willing to be a squad player 2) how much more time will we give him to develop?

He basically had the LB position to his own last season and was very inconsistent at best the fact that Poch has upgraded (and rightfully so) imo means he will probably be moving on

Could put that down to him being a winger until 3 years ago. Needs some decent coaching, some Poch seems to be good at.

Yes, that's it more than likely. He looks like a winger doing a job rather than a natural defender. While other defenders are refining their art at 24, Danny is still learning it IMO. I think it may be too late for him to re-task himself as a defender though maybe I am being a little hasty. I hope so.

Good coaching will obviously help but I just don't see any defensive traits there. No raw material so to speak. As a defender you need to want to stop goals against first and foremost. Bust a gut to get back in position like Walker, or throw yourself in front a pile driver like Dawson, or read the danger and snuff it out like say Vertoghen (used to). I don't see any of those qualities in Danny and it might be too late for him to learn them now, or at least develop them to a sufficient standard for a CL chasing team. Anything a FB contributes from an attacking sense is a bonus really, though fast becoming a requirement I suppose, but if you don't have the basics of defending right then those attacking traits are the icing without the cake.

Rose's main flaw IMO is that he is not a good defender. He does not defend well nor does get back quickly after play breaks down. It's as simple as that for me.

The only time he looks remotely decent is when he takes the ball up the field, well up until the point he fluffs the delivery that is.

Back