• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Danny Rose

If someone in my office went around telling our competitors and the public that we mistreated them and indirectly blamed us in part for their mental health issues, they'd be sacked the same day.

Really.

Would you not have an investigation and then at a later date an interview woth them where they could jave outside representation.

I spent a year managing a haulage business and that is what we had to do.

That's a great way to deal with somebody who has been through an awful time and is obviously having mental health issues.
I'll assume we've tried to help with the mental health issues - it would be hugely out of character for our manager and our club not to have done so.

If he's still mouthing off to the press (and it's very clear he is, even if he's been smart enough not to be more specific) then we should be done with him. He's clearly blaming us to some extent and is clearly either incapable of learning lessons or intentionally trying to damage our club for his own gain. Whichever it is, he should be kept as far away from the rest of the squad as possible (without giving him the transfer he's trying to engineer).

Can't help thinking that some of those laying into him now are people that (wrongly) didn't rate him, and are now having some sort of moment where they feel vindicated.
My issue with the younger Rose was that he always had the physical ability but was just mentally deficient when it came to playing as a left back. Over time, he picked up the mental side of his game and improved hugely.

What's painfully predictable here is that he's shown that he's as mentally incapable of being a pro off the field now as he was on the field when he was a youngster.

Whatever it takes to ensure the message is sent to all players that the team is more important than the individual.

Getting a dream move to a Manchester club and doubling his wages doesn't nearly send that message.
And I suppose if the consequence of that for Danny Rose is to further strain his capacity to cope, possibly sending him into another depression that requires medication that's fine? THAT sort of behavior sends a message to all (and potential) Spurs players that the club has ZERO concern for their mental health and well-being and that if they are not able to 'man up' then they will be humiliated and abused.

My issue with the younger Rose was that he always had the physical ability but was just mentally deficient when it came to playing as a left back. Over time, he picked up the mental side of his game and improved hugely.

What's painfully predictable here is that he's shown that he's as mentally incapable of being a pro off the field now as he was on the field when he was a youngster.
Your capacity for empathy and understanding is admirable.

It’s funny, we’ve seen both Rose and Toby in recent days talk about how they miss their family. They are two undeniably very good players, but there have always been rumours that Poch wouldn’t mind letting them go - not just this summer but a year or more back.

Maybe he wants people that will not only work hard to improve, but have the clear headspace to fully commit to football for the durations of their careers. To not feel like to be at Spurs is to be leaving something else behind. It’s not merely about being a good family person - as I’m sure most of our squad and staff is - but more about the ability to switch off from that and commit to football when it is time to work.

With Rose I think the best thing for all concerned is if he is sold to Everton. He clearly wants to be closer to his family. He’s probably not a good fit for the Manchester clubs anymore, but this way we still get a good fee for him and the squad doesn’t see that he has doubled his wages.

And I suppose if the consequence of that for Danny Rose is to further strain his capacity to cope, possibly sending him into another depression that requires medication that's fine? THAT sort of behavior sends a message to all (and potential) Spurs players that the club has ZERO concern for their mental health and well-being and that if they are not able to 'man up' then they will be humiliated and abused.

I honestly believe that keeping him at Spurs in what we all believe is a nurturing environment developed by the Manager to bring on young individuals to work as a cohesive team would far out-way any benefit he would gain to his mental well-being by going to ManU and working under Mourinho in what seem a very toxic atmosphere.

It all depends on how you spin it

It’s funny, we’ve seen both Rose and Toby in recent days talk about how they miss their family. They are two undeniably very good players, but there have always been rumours that Poch wouldn’t mind letting them go - not just this summer but a year or more back.

Maybe he wants people that will not only work hard to improve, but have the clear headspace to fully commit to football for the durations of their careers. To not feel like to be at Spurs is to be leaving something else behind. It’s not merely about being a good family person - as I’m sure most of our squad and staff is - but more about the ability to switch off from that and commit to football when it is time to work.

With Rose I think the best thing for all concerned is if he is sold to Everton. He clearly wants to be closer to his family. He’s probably not a good fit for the Manchester clubs anymore, but this way we still get a good fee for him and the squad doesn’t see that he has doubled his wages.

Rose has issues, some of it is potentially serious stuff (depression, etc.), some of it is immaturity, lack of self awareness, etc.

I know (was told by someone in club) that we had a decent offer on the table for him 2-3 years ago that we turned down and his reaction was quite poor for a while, so he probably looks back and sees 2 maybe 3 points where he could have moved on and imagines it all would have been for the better.

And I get unlike a lot of our players who via local roots, time, or academy route, Rose & Walker never seemed as enamored with Spurs. However comments like England is my savior without the least bit of realization that Spurs got you to England …

I think the club is more than open to moving him on, however I really don't see anyone putting up decent money for him.

Expecting Rose, especially after a long injury, family trauma and depression requiring medication, to be diplomatic is futile.
He is clearly still in pain and Poch needs to decide if his mental state is at the level the club needs.

And he needs to get him to Post in the ‘mental illness’ thread in Randomination.

As I said before mate, whoever is repping him is not doing right by him IMO. The only caveat is they might well think they got him to agree to be quiet and work through this situation with help behind the scenes only for DR to take another turn unscripted. There simply seems to be no good reason to speak right now, I cannot see where this helps him?

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

As I said before mate, whoever is repping him is not doing right by him IMO. The only caveat is they might well think they got him to agree to be quiet and work through this situation with help behind the scenes only for DR to take another turn unscripted. There simply seems to be no good reason to speak right now, I cannot see where this helps him?

I don't actually see anything wrong with what he has said and have been surprised that people are using his words against him here

Not sure if you were replying specifically to my post mate or making a general comment?

You may not have seen the thread in random, on this subject so I suggest you give it a read. Many people here - including myself - have had friends and family suffering from depression.

I will speak for myself re: Danny Rose. I know only too well that each case is different, but based on what I have been seeing from DR for the last 15 months, I believe he is being poorly advised. He is in a profession which places extraordinary demands on young men. Depression is increasingly one of them. I believe in his situation, he needs protection from the media and (furthermore) help. Your point about not listening to advice or thinking about the consequences of their words (how can they if they are not well?!!) amplify tenfold why someone in his position needs greater help than most precisely because of the spotlight he is constantly under.

If he is depressed -if he was on meds and is now off them because he is “OK”- I would suggest he is still in a vulnerable place where he could yet suffer more. I sincerely -sincerely- hope I am wrong.

Totally agree, Steff. Having experienced a bout of depression myself 15 or so years ago I'm all too familiar with it.

My point was that he might well have advisers telling him not to do interviews but he might not listen to them. People often don't want to listen to the right advice/aren't capable of making the right decisions when they are depressed, and there's probably not too much any advisers can do if he disregards their advice. He might have listened to his family, but he obviously hasn't shared it with them; the fact that he chose to do so through a newspaper probably indicates that he's still not thinking straight.

Everyone is different, but being off meds after such a relatively short time seems odd to me. Having him in front of a (seemingly) sympathetic journalist is certainly a bad thing at this stage of his recovery in most ways - with the proviso that it is good to see another public figure opening up to suffering from depression. At this stage of World Cup preparations, if I was England manager I'd be banning all journalists from anywhere near the camp unless they were talking to the managerial team, so if there's any fault to be attributed it probably lies there imo.

Anyhow, I'm hoping Danny continues to recover, plays brilliantly in the WC and is with us for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
Don't mind him talking about his well-being, and hope he has had the support he needed, but I think I could've lived without the "I'll end up being fined again" line, seems very unnecessary to rake that up.

In the context of the conversation he was giving it could easily have been a light hearted quip to the interviewer to which they both laughed, then the written report paints a different picture as so often is the case.

As others have said, Rose seems quite down to earth and will speak quite candidly without giving much thought to what he has just said - I think he was just being totally honest about his situation and hasn't meant any of the perceived malice towards the club. But just a tad to honest..

Your capacity for empathy and understanding is admirable.
giphy.gif

Back