• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Danny Rose

Have you listened to the interview? I only ask because if you haven't then you might be misinterpreting what has been said.
If you did listen and that's the takeway, then maybe it's me who needs to go back and listen again!

I have.. It both looked and sounded bad in my opinion. To me it came across like he was speaking as if he were a former Tottenham player.

Agreed, this season is probably a defining one. Annoying considering we aren't at WHL for it....

The key thing for our players who could earn more elsewhere is that we continue to show them that the club is on the up. So adding more depth and a big name this summer, as Rose mentioned, is important

The key thing for our players who could earn more elsewhere is that we continue to show them that the club is on the up. So adding more depth and a big name this summer, as Rose mentioned, is important
The way Poch has spoken to the media about only selling the players we want to sell it sounds like he has at least one key player in mind he's prepared to sell in order to raise enough for the next Alderweireld or Wanyama who can take us up a level.

I thought he came across very well and only said what he thought he should.
Marquee signing, like pogba? Players should be judged on ability and results, not hype and price.
We don't need a marquee signing, we need some who can in and do and job.

I also will not take seriously any programme that that hails john Terry as a thoroughly nice bloke.

I have.. It both looked and sounded bad in my opinion. To me it came across like he was speaking as if he were a former Tottenham player.

How the hell are you getting that from it. He was asked what do Tottenham have to do to keep their players. He answered by saying that the club can only do so much, it was down to the individual player. Went on to say someone like Kane is staying there for life to break records, then said some older players might feel they here long enough at spurs and fancy a change and then other players might feel that Spurs are the nearly club and choose to move on. He's obviously talking about Walker.

No point in being a child about it. Very few of the players we have now are gonna finish their days at the club.

We weren't weeping when we shipped off Dawson, Lennon and Tom Carroll because they weren't good enough anymore.

Anyway thoughtout the interview Danny was talking about next season. He will still be here.

It's worth listening to the whole thing http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0543skq

Ready steffs post earlier in the thread. He's called us a 'nearly' club and speculated that 'some players' won't stick around in order to try and win things elsewhere.

If that's what he believes then he can just fudge off and join one of the lottery winners.

This was one of the most interesting interviews I've heard for a long time - honest and not the normal dull stuff.

I don't know if it was only me - but he clearly isn't impressed with last summers signings (I assume Wanyama aside) and like a few of us said the players want to win things and will start to leave other wise.

So one player doesn't really see this season as a success?

And you think I'm being overly dramatic? Fans like you are the reason the tale of this squad will become a self fulfilling prophecy..

We have time. Let the squad grow and flourish, the last thing we need right now is unrest and dissent, especially heading into the unknown that is Wembley.

Players and fans who aren't on board can quite frankly do one.

The squad won't grow unless we win something, I would suggest next year other wise players will start to leave.

This has nothing to do with the fans.

It's down to the management to get the players in that will help us do it.

Agree that the "nearly" comment was a bad choice of words. It made me wince hearing him say that. However I think the gist of what he said would have been sanctioned by the club.

Maybe it could be seen as a message from the club to the fans (or even to Walker himself) to the effect that we've done all we can to persuade Walker to stay, success will come to this team, but if he has decided he wants out then we can't do any more to convince him otherwise.

Maybe it's call his bluff time.

Good interview otherwise (from the clips, haven't listened to the full thing yet).

I've only listened to the clips so possibly, in isolation, it comes across worse than is intended. That being said, I don't actually have any issue with the content of what he was saying specifically, just that I don't think he should have really been the person saying it.

I think conjecture and speculation on whether players might have outgrown the club should be left to pundits and the press. I don't think it was particularly smart given the speculation around Kyle Walker that nearly club was used to describe us (or being seen in the light potentially) especially as he was a part of the reason whether it was a success or failure (being a participant) and therefore should share in the responsibility of the season being a nearly one or a fully there one not stating it could be a reason why someone should now look to leave.

He also could have phrased the idea of squad depth a bit better as I wouldn't be happy as a team mate as it seemed like he was suggesting some of the squad aren't up to it. That is not to say he isn't correct but it isn't for him to discuss that in a public forum like that. To use the opposite end of the spectrum, I am sure he wouldn't have been best pleased if a player was interviewed at the season's end in 2011-12 and they had made reference to us not finishing 3rd being in part down to his sending off against Villa and subsequently drawing the game. Might be right but it isn't up to a player to dissect in a public forum reasons why we haven't succeeded that relate to other players performance or ability. I know he didn't directly say that but the inference is there and when someone starts off with ' I don't want to be disrespectful but......' then it usually means the following statement could be considered disrespectful.

Don't disagree with him on the marquee signing though and I think that is something that is probably required in order to keep the good vibes on full when we start this season of transition at Wembley.

Nothing in that interview made me feel Rose was unsettled.

Interesting to hear the Kane stuff and also the fact that Lamela is seen within the squad as a big game player, one of the first names on the teamsheet. Kind of blows in the face of the idiots who think he's a coke head who needs offloading to Serie A.

Rose wants a marquee signing. Give him one Levy.

David Silva?

He was playing devils advocate, and we are a nearly club at the moment. Don't be over dramatic....

He has no need to play devil's advocate. Put some pieces together from the following clues; he shares the same agent as Walker. He and Walker are friends. He has (at times in his career here) expressed a desire to be back in the North. He went on Five Live and started talking about the sort of things that Poch does not want made public. As for the 'nearly club' comment, are you genuinely saying you think it is OK for a senior squad member to refer to our club in that fashion? Sorry. He is on close to 300k a month. He should keep quiet and not say brick like that.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Again, WHY is he doing an interview at all? Ask yourself that mate.

Players do interviews, it doesn't mean he's moving Steff. Plus that interview is seriously not bringing up anything controversial.

Also, like the Lamela situation, it's unlikely he's a great transfer target given he was on an operating table a week ago having his knee cut open.

Everyone needs to chill out about our team being ripped apart this transfer window. I bet we don't lose more than Walker against our wishes. Sissoko can obviously do one but other than that, Levy and Poch have got this.

He has no need to play devil's advocate. Put some pieces together from the following clues; he shares the same agent as Walker. He and Walker are friends. He has (at times in his career here) expressed a desire to be back in the North. He went on Five Live and started talking about the sort of things that Poch does not want made public. As for the 'nearly club' comment, are you genuinely saying you think it is OK for a senior squad member to refer to our club in that fashion? Sorry. He is on close to 300k a month. He should keep quiet and not say brick like that.

What did he make public that Poch wouldn't like? He didn't name drop Walker, if you or anyone else wants to speculate/assume that's who he was talking about then that's up to you but he didn't say anoything outrageous and was merely issuing reasons ANY player would have for them to want to move onto pasteurs new. Do I have an issue with a player of ours saying we're a nearly club at the moment? No, that's what we are at the moment. You know it, I know it everyone in this country knows it - he hasn't said it in a degrading way and that along with everything else he said really wasn't a big deal....

I listened to this. Really liked the bit nearly 15 minutes in where he spoke about the dynamic between the full-backs at Spurs and his view of his role and being an automatic starter.
Listening to the interview really emphasises the dangers of reading written transcript in isolation without hearing the surrounding discussion, the questions being asked and the tone of the discussion.

He also could have phrased the idea of squad depth a bit better as I wouldn't be happy as a team mate as it seemed like he was suggesting some of the squad aren't up to it. That is not to say he isn't correct but it isn't for him to discuss that in a public forum like that. .

Maybe the players (and manager) are sick of the board cutting corners of signings and it's a underhand threat to the board.

The players he would have upset are the ones we need to improve on anyway.

Or maybe he just said it because he wanted to!

Back