• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

We've seen periods of better and worse spending under Levy. Imo depending on who's been in charge of transfers (usually a group rather than an individual).

Of course who Levy has put in place to do that job is on him. And he's had his misses and trusted the wrong people at the wrong time. That's on him, but at the same time that's also fairly common. Pretty much unheard of to have consistency over decades in that regard as a club with the people in charge changing.

Like you I'm not a Poch sycophant. He did probably fail in part due to the foundations he had to work within. And because of the limitations in transfer funds during the stadium build period. But he also failed because of him making poor decisions. Like everyone else, like Levy.

No one is perfect, and as long as levy has learned from mistakes then there is no issue ... I think he has and is ... posti right man at the right time .... storm in a tea cup ... we are on to a good thing!

And yes I do think giving Poch those players a season earlier would have made a difference. By the time Ndombele and Lo Celso came in the midfield was utterly stale and he was having to make a raft changes to the midfield composition and playstyle all at the same time and was given 12 games to do so. That's not good enough imo. We needed fresh blood in midfielder a season or two before when Wanyama was falling apart, when Demebele could no longer run. We actually went into seasons with Winks and Sissoko as our choice starting pair, that's fudging ridiculous and gross negligence from everyone in the management team through to the chairman imo.
Jeez. This is what I'm saying when I say respect the timeline.

If you look back at what was ACTUALLY happening...the woulda coulda shoulda comments would carry a bit more sincerely.

The summer before (2018)...the stadium was delayed (unforeseen) with no known timeframe when all the problems with the wiring/alarm systems would be straightened out. Forcing us into carrying on with renting Wembley.

Now, one would consider DL as risk averse, so the chances of him dropping £150m on players that summer is zero.
The stadium and it's completion is priority number 1 and the biggest piece in the DL master plan. He's not going to jeopardize that in that moment confronted with so much uncertainty.

'gross negligence'...you make sound as though he did it out of spite, as though he was bringing the team down on purpose.
Yes he c.ould of sold Eriksen, as you suggest, but then we would have needed 3 midfielders?

Besides, when the uncertainties had cleared he well and truly funded the transfer kitty....but yes, too late for Poch.

But as I said before they were the circumstances both men had to deal with.

Last edited:
Jeez. This is what I'm saying when I say respect the timeline.

If you look back at what was ACTUALLY happening...the woulda coulda shoulda comments would carry a bit more sincerely.

The summer before (2018)...the stadium was delayed (unforeseen) with no known timeframe when all the problems with the wiring/alarm systems would be straightened out. Forcing us into carrying on with renting Wembley.

Now, one would consider DL as risk averse, so the chances of him dropping £150m on players that summer is zero.
The stadium and it's completion is priority number 1 and the biggest piece in the DL master plan. He's not going to jeopardize that in that moment confronted with so much uncertainty.

'gross negligence'...you make sound as though he did it out of spite, as though he was bringing the team down on purpose.
Yes he should have sold Eriksen, as you suggest, but then we would have needed 3 midfielders?

Besides, when the uncertainties had cleared he well and truly funded the transfer kitty....but yes, too late for Poch.

But as I said before they were the circumstances both men had to deal with.
I didn't ask for him to give Poch 150m a season earlier if you read my posts on the matter what I've said is the smart way of operating is to sell some with a good reputation ahead of their downward trend and to bring fresh blood in. Fresh blood is always needed. Raziel asked the question as whether Poch getting those players a season would have made a difference and hence my reply, that's a completely different discussion to my actual points. I was not arguing that Levy should have spent 150m net a season previous, I simply answered Raziel's question.

Sell or keep Eriksen we still needed that fresh blood regardless. I would rather we do it intelligently and sell Eriksen who was inclined to leave and reinvest that smartly. As I said in my example Eriksen for 60m and you can get Maddison for 20m and you still have 40m left to spend on these 2 other midfielders you feel we would have needed.

Last edited:
I didn't ask for him to give Poch 150m a season earlier if you read my posts on the matter what I've said is the smart way of operating is to sell some with a good reputation ahead of their downward trend and to bring fresh blood in. Fresh blood is always needed. Raziel asked the question as whether Poch getting those players a season would have made a difference and hence my reply, that's a completely different discussion to my actual points. I was not arguing that Levy should have spent 150m net a season previous, I simply answered Raziel's question.

Sell or keep Eriksen we still needed that fresh blood regardless. I would rather we do it intelligently and sell Eriksen who was inclined to leave and reinvest that smartly. As I said in my example Eriksen for 60m and you can get Maddison for 20m and you still have 40m left to spend on these 2 other midfielders you feel we would have needed.
No one was buying our players for the fees that justified selling them

And we know Poch turned down players to keep what he had as he didn’t think he was getting better. Tielemans was one

No one was buying our players for the fees that justified selling them

And we know Poch turned down players to keep what he had as he didn’t think he was getting better. Tielemans was one
Eriksen for for 50-60m in 2017-2018 I think would have been possible. He was still flying reasonably high at the time and his form was only just starting to drop. Asking 100m+ was never going to happen, but 50m-60m I do believe was very doable.

Eriksen for for 50-60m in 2017-2018 I think would have been possible. He was still flying reasonably high at the time and his form was only just starting to drop. Asking 100m+ was never going to happen, but 50m-60m I do believe was very doable.
I’m not convinced because the only people with that kind of money didn’t need him

Just watched the Lange video on the OS, and he looked impressive. The Chairman certainly seems to have put the right recruitment structure in place with a Board level DOF and then Lange.
You can't guarantee success, but with the club's financial power and now a coherent approach to buying the right players to improve us, ie players who are willing to work hard as well as being great footballers, the future should be good.

Just watched the Lange video on the OS, and he looked impressive. The Chairman certainly seems to have put the right recruitment structure in place with a Board level DOF and then Lange.
You can't guarantee success, but with the club's financial power and now a coherent approach to buying the right players to improve us, ie players who are willing to work hard as well as being great footballers, the future should be good.

We've had plenty of false dawns before regarding DoFs/structure - if we can finally nail that side of things for the medium to long term then it will go a long way to taking us where we want to go.

Listening to Simon Jordan and Graeme Souness talk Spurs. I normally like both and, to be fair, Jordan pushed Souness on some of the cliches without substance he was spouting but couldn't believe the following met with agreement by both men when Souness was having a go at Levy:

Souness: The big one was after the Champions League Final. That was the time to invest.
Jordan: And they didn't spend anything.

Granted, we bought some duds but I'd imagine we were one of the biggest spenders in that window.

Listening to Simon Jordan and Graeme Souness talk Spurs. I normally like both and, to be fair, Jordan pushed Souness on some of the cliches without substance he was spouting but couldn't believe the following met with agreement by both men when Souness was having a go at Levy:

Souness: The big one was after the Champions League Final. That was the time to invest.

Granted, we bought some duds but I'd imagine we were one of the biggest spenders in that window.
We were
they just got the timeline wrong

Thats strange as Jordan is normally spot on with it all.

Thats strange as Jordan is normally spot on with it all.
To be fair to Jordan, he asked about being "sexy" and Souness brickd on about "it's about not winning trophies". So Jordan pushed him and said "well are Aston Villa sexy, they haven't won one in longer".

Souness ploughed on saying "yeah but Villa aren't a big club". Again Jordan pulled him and said "They've won a European Cup, Graeme".

To be fair to Jordan, he was trying to get to the heart of why we get that label and clubs like Everton, Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Villa get away with it. It was good interviewing and Souness sounded a bit cliched and spoofy.

So, like you, I was surprised he let the "no spending after CL" thing go.

To be fair to Jordan, he asked about being "sexy" and Souness brickd on about "it's about not winning trophies". So Jordan pushed him and said "well are Aston Villa sexy, they haven't won one in longer".

Souness ploughed on saying "yeah but Villa aren't a big club". Again Jordan pulled him and said "They've won a European Cup, Graeme".

To be fair to Jordan, he was trying to get to the heart of why we get that label and clubs like Everton, Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Villa get away with it. It was good interviewing and Souness sounded a bit cliched and spoofy.

So, like you, I was surprised he let the "no spending after CL" thing go.

Fair points about the likes of Everton, Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Villa not being pulled up on their lack of recent trophies. The one caveat being those clubs haven’t been pushing for titles or reaching finals semi consistently like we have been and they weren’t considered one of the big six like we are.

Jordan is better on the radio as he has less tendancy (licence) to permanently seek out an opportunity to crowbar a story or anecdote about HIMSELF into every 5 minutes.

Back