• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

One thing I would say about Levy (and I'm another one who hasn't forgiven or forgotten the way Jol got treated) is you do get the impression he's learned from every mistake. He definitely isn't a fool-me-twice kind of a guy.

I miss Big Martin Jol. It would be good to find a way to have him around Spurs when his managing days are done. And now that he's departed that fiasco with Al Ahly in Egypt, it's fair to wonder if he'll be offered anything serious in managing at the age of 61.

So get him in. Maybe find him a role as the next David Pleat, a little work here or there as an assistant coach or scout, the odd bit of media duties or just larking about at the new stadium as a some sort of ambassador/pub raconteur/man about the park.

I miss Big Martin Jol. It would be good to find a way to have him around Spurs when his managing days are done. And now that he's departed that fiasco with Al Ahly in Egypt, it's fair to wonder if he'll be offered anything serious in managing at the age of 61.

So get him in. Maybe find him a role as the next David Pleat, a little work here or there as an assistant coach or scout, the odd bit of media duties or just larking about at the new stadium as a some sort of ambassador/pub raconteur/man about the park.

Sorry mate that's bs getting paid to be around the place. Very romantic thought though

Reactions: DTA
i've said it before, i'll say it again, he was a wonderful man, who changed the attitude of our club, Levy has always had the off field stuff in order but not until Santini handed over to Jol was the difference made on the pitch, he was (like AVB, Redknapp & Ramos) a crucial part of our progression, and if Poch has seen further than others, then Jol was a giant upon whose shoulders he stood

Last edited:
He'd walk away with £61K.

Every game. Jol made the club come to life again after the middling early noughties. And I loved him for it, especially after the disappointment that Hoddle turned out to be - and especially after all that time spent watching Arsenal win things, go unbeaten and dominate the league while we plodded along in lower mid-table and looked worlds away.

He had a hard task, and he did marvellously. I still feel like a lot of my long-held resentment about Levy stemmed from the horrible way the man sacked BMJ mid-way through that game against Getafe (I think?).

BMJ brought back the feel good factor to club, and rebuilt a lost connection between fans and club.

It has been said a thousand times, the manner of his dismissal is a stain on the club. That said, in hindsight, it was the right decision and while I believe the club owes Jol a thanks for beginning the process, he would not have taken us to where we have come.

BMJ brought back the feel good factor to club, and rebuilt a lost connection between fans and club.

It has been said a thousand times, the manner of his dismissal is a stain on the club. That said, in hindsight, it was the right decision and while I believe the club owes Jol a thanks for beginning the process, he would not have taken us to where we have come.

Indeed. I also wonder if the way he was treated was down to some bad blood between him and the board, perhaps going back to when he courted the Ajax job...

he was (like AVB, Redknapp & Ramos) a crucial part of our progression, and if Poch has seen further than others, then Jol was a giant upon whose shoulders he stood
I will never forget how we started going to the Lane and expecting to WIN. It was a huge change. And moments like the non stop "Martin Jols Blue and White Army" in Leverkusen were really special. There are plenty on here who were critical of his tactical skills, but he connected to the fans because he cared- and jolted us out of our mediocrity.

he was (like AVB, Redknapp & Ramos) a crucial part of our progression, and if Poch has seen further than others, then Jol was a giant upon whose shoulders he stood
I will never forget how we started going to the Lane and expecting to WIN. It was a huge change. And moments like the non stop "Martin Jols Blue and White Army" in Leverkusen were really special. There are plenty on here who were critical of his tactical skills, but he connected to the fans because he cared- and jolted us out of our mediocrity.

In some ways I think BMJ had the hardest job. To change the club from mediocrity to actually being able to beat teams was a big deal. But a good amount of credit should also go to Arnesen for the crucial purchases that were made that season. Robinson, Mendes, Edman, Atouba, Carrick, Dawson all made the team much better. And they replaced Ziege, Poyet, Anderton, Carr, Redknapp. It was a real changing of the guard and we went from being a big club who were the last pay day for a number of good players coming to the end of their careers, to one that started to a hungrier, younger player.

Like you I think AVB, Redknapp and Ramos were all crucial as well, but BMJ made it feel good to go to WHL again. That was the beginning of the change.

In some ways I think BMJ had the hardest job. To change the club from mediocrity to actually being able to beat teams was a big deal. But a good amount of credit should also go to Arnesen for the crucial purchases that were made that season. Robinson, Mendes, Edman, Atouba, Carrick, Dawson all made the team much better. And they replaced Ziege, Poyet, Anderton, Carr, Redknapp. It was a real changing of the guard and we went from being a big club who were the last pay day for a number of good players coming to the end of their careers, to one that started to a hungrier, younger player.

Like you I think AVB, Redknapp and Ramos were all crucial as well, but BMJ made it feel good to go to WHL again. That was the beginning of the change.

Amen to that. this club started to turn round in 2001 ( Levy) and then in 2004 by MJ.

Back