• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

I said before the start of the season that this season has the chance to be the most open ever, bar City and thus far I think it probably looks more open than I thought. United look like the bismark, Saudi Sportswashing Machine are abit licorice allsorts, Villa and Brighton taken a bad loss and sole good games. Liverpool and Chelsea look the most solid from the pack early doors, the rest could be absolutely anything
I know it's early doors, and I have no real expectations or intention to put pressure on Ange. But what I will say is that whilst acknowledging some of our rivals will get better and we will go through difficult spells, outside of Emirates Marketing Project I have not seen any team that so far has made me think they are on a different level to us.

It's a long season and things can change and I'm not one to make sweeping predictions but just purely from an observational perspective on the very early rounds of the PL I fail to see a reason why we can't finish in the top 5. Doesn't mean I will feel disappointed or negative towards Ange if we don't achieve that as the way he is moulding the team is a significant factor in why I think this. But purely from looking at our rivals right now and taking into consideration the advantage of our lack of midweek games, I'm struggling to come up with reasons as to why we can't achieve top 5.....

I know it's early doors, and I have no real expectations or intention to put pressure on Ange. But what I will say is that whilst acknowledging some of our rivals will get better and we will go through difficult spells, outside of Emirates Marketing Project I have not seen any team that so far has made me think they are on a different level to us.

It's a long season and things can change and I'm not one to make sweeping predictions but just purely from an observational perspective on the very early rounds of the PL I fail to see a reason why we can't finish in the top 5. Doesn't mean I will feel disappointed or negative towards Ange if we don't achieve that as the way he is moulding the team is a significant factor in why I think this. But purely from looking at our rivals right now and taking into consideration the advantage of our lack of midweek games, I'm struggling to come up with reasons as to why we can't achieve top 5.....

TBH outside City I'm struggling to name a definitive top 5

I think we have a squeak (especially if it's top 5).
Man United and Chelsea both look capable of either not sorting themselves out or underperforming.

City Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Arsenal all look solid as a group. Both Arsenal and Saudi Sportswashing Machine have the extra European game schedule to deal with this year.

I think Liverpool will get their act together for at least top 4.

Hope that Brighton or Villa don't go on a tear. Once again both with Europe to worry about.

No Europe for us could be worth 10-12 pts imo
I think Villa are a bigger threat than Brighton.

I said before the start of the season that this season has the chance to be the most open ever, bar City and thus far I think it probably looks more open than I thought. United look like the bismark, Saudi Sportswashing Machine are abit licorice allsorts, Villa and Brighton taken a bad loss and sole good games. Liverpool and Chelsea look the most solid from the pack early doors, the rest could be absolutely anything
? ...ROFL:D

Levy himself admitted we can't compete with clubs with bigger finances and since Paratici we have been able to spot your talents and Postecoglu getting the best out of them.....should we do a Brighton and start selling our older players in the first team to fund younger talents?

Levy himself admitted we can't compete with clubs with bigger finances and since Paratici we have been able to spot your talents and Postecoglu getting the best out of them.....should we do a Brighton and start selling our older players in the first team to fund younger talents?

Well we just sold Kane for 100m+ so I don't think there is a need to sell anyone else at the moment

Considering 99% of the team are now new recruits I'm not sure who who you would wanna be selling for top money even I you wanted to?

Well we just sold Kane for 100m+ so I don't think there is a need to sell anyone else at the moment

Considering 99% of the team are now new recruits I'm not sure who who you would wanna be selling for top money even I you wanted to?

The obvious answer is son but then we'd lose a huge chunk of our international fanbase.

I think the difference with Brighton is they see the turnover as players as a natural order of where they are as a club and players ambition of wages / CL./ trophy ambitions. What was refreshing during the Poch era that we didn't really get our best players cherry picked by bigger clubs, other than maybe Walker which seemed to have Poch's blessing and at the time was being rotated with Trippier.
Where we have lost out is other than Kane we have depreciated rather than than bank any income from sales of players, Dele, Toby, Jan, Eriksen, Dembele, Wanyama, Lloris, Dier and Rose for different reasons have all l/ will leave for smaller clubs / leagues as well past their peak, Eriksen an exception but even them he goes for 20m with a year left yet Chelsea for a 100m for Hazard in the same situation.

Most if the comments were positive about our incoming for this window and on the whole under Paratici's reign/ continued influence, we probably have another round of pain trying to shift the surplus players who will have a year left next season but hopefully from then on the player sales can be more strategic to help give us a further edge for our inferior budget. A set pattern of play,succession planning including developing youth and buying younger players based on attributes rather than reputation may help keep the dwaus fresh even if we feel the pain of losing the odd individual player to make it happen.

I think the difference with Brighton is they see the turnover as players as a natural order of where they are as a club and players ambition of wages / CL./ trophy ambitions. What was refreshing during the Poch era that we didn't really get our best players cherry picked by bigger clubs, other than maybe Walker which seemed to have Poch's blessing and at the time was being rotated with Trippier.
Where we have lost out is other than Kane we have depreciated rather than than bank any income from sales of players, Dele, Toby, Jan, Eriksen, Dembele, Wanyama, Lloris, Dier and Rose for different reasons have all l/ will leave for smaller clubs / leagues as well past their peak, Eriksen an exception but even them he goes for 20m with a year left yet Chelsea for a 100m for Hazard in the same situation.

Most if the comments were positive about our incoming for this window and on the whole under Paratici's reign/ continued influence, we probably have another round of pain trying to shift the surplus players who will have a year left next season but hopefully from then on the player sales can be more strategic to help give us a further edge for our inferior budget. A set pattern of play,succession planning including developing youth and buying younger players based on attributes rather than reputation may help keep the dwaus fresh even if we feel the pain of losing the odd individual player to make it happen.

Yep and PL survival is their objective for at least the next decade (regardless of what anyone says publicly), European qualification or cup runs is nothing more than a bonus. This is where fans and the media are off base, why doesn't City/Pool do a Brighton? because the model doesn't work at the elite level, you can't afford to lose 12 games as an elite side (what they lost last season in their best ever year, only side in top 6 to lose double figure games)

You can be more efficient but you cannot (and this is why Villa/Brighton/Brentford are not a threat, Leicester, Everton were never) make up £200M-£400M a year commercial gaps, over a 5 year period it's basically billion dollar spending gaps and the ability to buy £70M-£100M duds and still move on.

To compete (consistently) in the PL you need to close the revenue gap, either

- You figure out a way to improve the revenue stream of the club (without a guarantee of CL revenue, the fluctuation of YoY income btw is one the reason the ESL was so appealing for owners and never acknowledged by critics). i.e. everything Levy has been doing -> growing brand in other markets, stadium, NFL, Concerts, F1, non-football events
- And you get owner injection in the form that can compete with state ownership. (What our ownership does not do)

Spurs will not compete with City, Chelsea (in it's current form) & Saudi Sportswashing Machine, it can close the gap on Pool & Arsenal and it can create a bigger gap to the rest, it can be better run re player/manager/system setups but if people really think 1 more CB or a new ST is the difference when Chelsea has spent £1B in 12 months, that is a failure to understand the depth of how broken the game is and very naive

Yep and PL survival is their objective for at least the next decade (regardless of what anyone says publicly), European qualification or cup runs is nothing more than a bonus. This is where fans and the media are off base, why doesn't City/Pool do a Brighton? because the model doesn't work at the elite level, you can't afford to lose 12 games as an elite side (what they lost last season in their best ever year, only side in top 6 to lose double figure games)

You can be more efficient but you cannot (and this is why Villa/Brighton/Brentford are not a threat, Leicester, Everton were never) make up £200M-£400M a year commercial gaps, over a 5 year period it's basically billion dollar spending gaps and the ability to buy £70M-£100M duds and still move on.

To compete (consistently) in the PL you need to close the revenue gap, either

- You figure out a way to improve the revenue stream of the club (without a guarantee of CL revenue, the fluctuation of YoY income btw is one the reason the ESL was so appealing for owners and never acknowledged by critics). i.e. everything Levy has been doing -> growing brand in other markets, stadium, NFL, Concerts, F1, non-football events
- And you get owner injection in the form that can compete with state ownership. (What our ownership does not do)

Spurs will not compete with City, Chelsea (in it's current form) & Saudi Sportswashing Machine, it can close the gap on Pool & Arsenal and it can create a bigger gap to the rest, it can be better run re player/manager/system setups but if people really think 1 more CB or a new ST is the difference when Chelsea has spent £1B in 12 months, that is a failure to understand the depth of how broken the game is and very naive
Leicester won the league and immediately lost Kante and Mahrez.
Players that were standout for their clubs have gone to City and only made their bench.
I can't see how we can ever push the genie back in the bottle, there's too many pigs with their noses in the trough to come up with any viable regulation, let alone something that would be consistent on even a European scale let alone global.

Last edited:
Leicester won the league and immediately lost Kante and Mahrez.
Players that were standout for their clubs have gone to City and only made their bench.
I can't see how we can ever push the genie back in the bottle, there's too many pigs with their noises in the trough to come up with any viable regulation, let alone something that would be consistent on even a European scale let alone global.

Honestly not worth the conversation, people get too emotional, two points

- Leicester won the league and the FA Cup within 5 years of each other and were never able to either keep their players (your point) or significantly improve their revenue stream (my point re sustained success)
- The ESL actually had a lot in it about controlled spending, infrastructure investment, normalizing revenue streams but fans were too busy running to protect the bastions of the game/virtue in the FA/UEFA/BT/Sky (who went on a smear campaign to protect their investment) for a reasonable conversation ever to happen.

Brighton need to supplement their spending alot more than we do. I have not looked at the difference in turnover from the two clubs but its unlikely that Brighton will ever reach the same heights as teams in London on the commercial side.

There is an article somewhere from Paul Barber where he talks about them needing to find income to survive at the level and that the loans from Tony are only short term and he will want a ROI eventually

Events, go karting, hotels only takes you so far. Margins are competitive so player trading could be another source of income to close the gap with pool and arsenal.

Didn't Postecoglu had a flurry of transfers at his short but successful stint at celtic? Something like 30 transfers in iirc.

Combined that with Paratici's proven ability to spot young players they could expand the pathway pipeline to the first team.

Of course we will try to keep our best players like Son, but we will also need to find new golden boy replacements too.

It would be amazing to have Postecoglu in Spurs management someday too.

Brighton need to supplement their spending alot more than we do. I have not looked at the difference in turnover from the two clubs but its unlikely that Brighton will ever reach the same heights as teams in London on the commercial side.

There is an article somewhere from Paul Barber where he talks about them needing to find income to survive at the level and that the loans from Tony are only short term and he will want a ROI eventually

£174M revenue, with £54M loss in 21/22 vs. Spurs £444M & £112M profit (obviously we had Europe) but the basic math is

Bigger/better clubs below top 6 -> £170M-£220M/yr
Top 6 clubs -> £400M-£600M/yr

This is the dead end argument, a Leicester/Brighton type owner would have to bleed money for a decade+ while dealing with the fact that they are starting with worse squads/facilities/infrastructure, player poaching, lack of European revenue (most years), lack of pull of the club when all other things are even for players/managers. RA proved it at Chelsea, £1M/week lost for 13 years and in the end they still weren't really competitive with City and their real "revenue" isn't significantly different from ours.

Good/bad news (depends on your viewpoint), rumour has the middle east consortium that was looking United are back looking at Spurs

Back