• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

From today's Guardian:

"Tottenham are baffled by Peace’s accusations and there is no little anger behind the scenes at White Hart Lane. As far as they are concerned, they opened talks with Albion well before they made their opening offer on Tuesday of last week and the way they have structured the payments for Berahino is no different to how Albion have proposed to pay for Federico Fazio"

and?? Why wait till August 18th to make the first offer? Talking is all well and good, but until West Brom have an idea of what Spurs value Berahino its all small talk

of course it would have made a difference, why do you think other clubs at every level manage to get deals done earlier in the window, and without having to make offers too good to turn down.

Like i said, it also gives the selling club an idea of whats being offered and what they themselves can do with that kind of money, gives them a chance to get some deals in place

We are in the tricky position though that the players we need to push on are likely to be coveted by bigger clubs, with bigger budget. A selling club is always likely to try and hold out and see if a bigger club comes in unless we pay over the odds.

and?? Why wait till August 18th to make the first offer? Talking is all well and good, but until West Brom have an idea of what Spurs value Berahino its all small talk

Presumably during those discussions there was some talk of whether the player was available and what it would take to get him.

of course it would have made a difference, why do you think other clubs at every level manage to get deals done earlier in the window, and without having to make offers too good to turn down.

Like i said, it also gives the selling club an idea of whats being offered and what they themselves can do with that kind of money, gives them a chance to get some deals in place

We'd be talking more money than Liverpool paid for Benteke to get this deal done early. All the PR stuff coming out of WBA is pure bullcrap.

I'm not sure that is true or Indian! Emirates Marketing Project are still scrabbling for De Bruyne, Chelsea are still trying to get Stones and perhaps Pogba, Man United are trying to get Neymar or whoever else. Arsenal are still looking for an attacking signing or two. Even Liverpool were interested in illwatshisface. Liverpool's CEO is on record as saying that they only got the majority of the deals in place as a result of all the cards falling into place which was unusual.

We ourselves have also made a fair few signings early this transfer window. We also have managed it in the past. Strikers are a desired commodity, so it stands to reason that if there is a striker that is in demand by a club at our level, the selling club and/or player would look to hold out for a better deal. Benteke moved because he had a release clause. If there were no release clause, I'd hazard a guess that he would still be at Villa, but there's no way of proving that.

As for the selling club having time to get a replacement. In this Berahino example, our first offer went in on 18 August. For it to get to an offer stage must have meant that negotiations had been taking place before then. They signed Lambert at the end of July and Rondon on 10 August. What makes you think that Rondon isn't their replacement. Even if they are not, there's plenty of time for them to get a striker. They would not be naive enough to think that no-one was interested in Berahino this transfer window, meaning that they would have to start searching for targets as soon as the first bid came in.

We'd be talking more money than Liverpool paid for Benteke to get this deal done early. All the PR stuff coming out of WBA is pure bullcrap.

well the sooner we realised that the quicker we could have walked away from the deal and gone onto the next on the list

well the sooner we realised that the quicker we could have walked away from the deal and gone onto the next on the list

Or we could hold tight and get the managers preferred choice by waiting it out - I know everyone thinks the first few games of the season are important but you're signing a player for several years (hopefully assuming they're a success) if you have to sacrifice the squad balance for a couple of games to get the player you want then so be it

Don't forget wages.

Aren't you lot bored of this same discussion yet? Every day for 2 months, Jesus H Kane.

I haven't even read half this debate but I can imagine that its the same old arguments.

All Id say is, Id love to see posters actually be in charge of the running of this club and having to realise that its nowhere near as simple as what is made out on here....

Back