• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

how much is that us underpaying or them overpaying?
Most of it is just the difference in overall turnoverbudget.

Us keeping our wage budget under control has been vital in our success imo. I have no problems with it being labeled as us underpaying, and compared to what some of our players could potentially get at other clubs some probably are underpaid.

We've managed to only lose Walker (for a ton of money) and Eriksen (for a limited fee) that we would have liked to keep if they were happy. We're obviously doing a lot right.

Not to the majority but relative to the other top 6 clubs we do.
Okay I stand corrected. Must have been thinking of wages as a proportion of revenue, where we are probably still among the lowest . These stats are from the end of the 2017/18 season:
Premier-League-2018-WageTurnover.png

https://financialfootballnews.com/premier-league-2018-finances-wages/

you really think that’s why he does it?

He does it to shave 50 pence off the asking fee - my point is that those are false savings, as the player misses out on pre-season, comes in with no idea of the tactical set up we use and the fitness levels we require, and spends the rest of the season just getting up to speed.

Have you noticed how many signings get done in the last three days of the window compared to the first 8 weeks .... it will never change as clubs don5 fully understand their buying and selling position until someone makes moves

Not necessarily, I'd argue. Release clauses can be activated at any time, deals done at any time, and ideally we should be talking to players and clubs long before the window even opens. Some of our best moves were made very early, before the market had even awoken - Modric in 2008, for instance. Similarly, Liverpool's business signing Fabinho one day after the CL final is another example of this.

We should be looking to have our incoming business done by June, imo. Especially given the Euros this year - the earlier the better.

As I said, he's reformed himself to a significant extent, if this January window is any indicator. No penny-pinching, no dilly-dallying. We didn't get a striker, true, but we did well. Now I'm hoping he drops this other habit, and gets ahead of the game.

He does it to shave 50 pence off the asking fee - my point is that those are false savings, as the player misses out on pre-season, comes in with no idea of the tactical set up we use and the fitness levels we require, and spends the rest of the season just getting up to speed.

Not necessarily, I'd argue. Release clauses can be activated at any time, deals done at any time, and ideally we should be talking to players and clubs long before the window even opens. Some of our best moves were made very early, before the market had even awoken - Modric in 2008, for instance. Similarly, Liverpool's business signing Fabinho one day after the CL final is another example of this.

We should be looking to have our incoming business done by June, imo. Especially given the Euros this year - the earlier the better.

As I said, he's reformed himself to a significant extent, if this January window is any indicator. No penny-pinching, no dilly-dallying. We didn't get a striker, true, but we did well. Now I'm hoping he drops this other habit, and gets ahead of the game.

Well, it’s probably been closer to 50% than 50p, but to clarify, you don’t think he’s obsessed with eradicating the pre season time of new signings, you think he’s obsessed with getting players at a price we can afford?

If so, I think that’s a good thing.

But yet very few deals are done then with 80% odd in the last week

Clearly all chairman are either stupid or think the same

we consistently do better deals too
Or no deals at all. [emoji38][emoji30]

I don't know if that's true. I compare us with similar clubs, the likes of Dortmund, Porto, Lyon, Monaco and Athletico and I can't say that I truly think we do better deals. We at times do good deals, which coincidentally are usually the ones not done on the last day of the window but better than those teams [emoji848] sorry I don't think that's true.

I don't know if that's true. I compare us with similar clubs, the likes of Dortmund, Porto, Lyon, Monaco and Athletico and I can't say that I truly think we do better deals. We at times do good deals, which coincidentally are usually the ones not done on the last day of the window but better than those teams [emoji848] sorry I don't think that's true.
Those clubs a aren’t our peers
Lyon and Porto are selling clubs
Monaco had that amazing one season and then the owner had to pull the plug on his funding
Athletico and Dortmund maybe but one is in a. Two horse league when it comes to transfers and the other is oddly doped yet doesn’t actually have a great turnover
If there the person shout comparing too when talking about early deals then I can’t really comment TBH. Dortmund signings I know of and they do get in early but of course those players generally are sold quickly too (haalands release fee is already out there)

As I said, he's reformed himself to a significant extent, if this January window is any indicator. No penny-pinching, no dilly-dallying. We didn't get a striker, true, but we did well. Now I'm hoping he drops this other habit, an
He didn't hang about in the summer bar LaCelso and that's debatable?

So two windows he's 'reformed' himself and dropped his 'habits' ....... you're such a joker.

What d'you suppose has happened to accommodate Levy having such a sea change of approach these last two windows.

Gone to financial counseling?:D

I think we mostly get a better ROI than those teams*, not that I’ve studied them greatly, I’d also say they have larger relative budgets in their divisions than we do.

We are very good at moving on those who don’t make it at break even, or even in some cases relative profit.

*The average time spent at club table has been doing the rounds recently with us firmly at the top, only one metric, but it’s an indicator, we buy players we can get a lot of use out of over a longer time period.

He didn't hang about in the summer bar LaCelso and that's debatable?

So two windows he's 'reformed' himself and dropped his 'habits' ....... you're such a joker.

What d'you suppose has happened to accommodate Levy having such a sea change of approach these last two windows.

Gone to financial counseling?:D

What happened? I suspect sacking the best manager he ever had had something to do with it. A man who begged for reinforcements that never came or came too late. Much as with Ramos and Redknapp, some spending was inevitable in January to rectify the crap situation the summer had left us with - much too late for Poch, of course.

As for the summer, he bought Sessegnon a couple of days before the window shut, too - or are you forgetting that? Out of three first team players in the summer, the only one in relatively early was NDombele - he f*cked around with Lo Celso and Sessegnon until almost deadline day, so forgive me for not being immediately convinced that this man had entirely turned a new leaf because of the stadium or the CL final.

Our financial situation may have changed, but I wanted to see if Levy himself had. Because I suspect that, whether we're worth 50m or 500m, his habits will be the defining factor in how we act - not our status. And his habit is to penny-pinch, shave pennies off a deal to the detriment of squad readiness and preparation.

That might be changing now, and I'll be happy if it is.

Well, it’s probably been closer to 50% than 50p, but to clarify, you don’t think he’s obsessed with eradicating the pre season time of new signings, you think he’s obsessed with getting players at a price we can afford?

If so, I think that’s a good thing.

Mmhmm. I think eradicating pre-season time is a consequence of the lateness of our deals, not a goal of his. But I think he severely undervalues how much that costs us relative to the couple of percent he can shave off the fee.

I think we mostly get a better ROI than those teams*, not that I’ve studied them greatly, I’d also say they have larger relative budgets in their divisions than we do.

We are very good at moving on those who don’t make it at break even, or even in some cases relative profit.

*The average time spent at club table has been doing the rounds recently with us firmly at the top, only one metric, but it’s an indicator, we buy players we can get a lot of use out of over a longer time period.

Or, alternately, we can't move players in and out quickly enough, and accumulate stale squads relative to our competitors.

I actually don't think we actually get a better ROI than any of Dortmund, Leverkusen, Atletico or Sevilla, our roughly comparable cousins in other leagues in terms of ambitions, stature and relative (not absolute) financing. Although I admit it's fairly difficult to quantify.

As for the summer, he bought Sessegnon a couple of days before the window shut, too - or are you forgetting that?
Joker........the kid had a ripped hamstring and couldn't even run. Of course we should have got him in on June 1st and paid him 10 weeks wages to stare at the wall.

La Celso missed out on 14 days training because that's the earliest we should have got him in because of the Copa.

Been mentioned/covered a million times....and I'm the forgetful one:rolleyes:

Joker........the kid had a ripped hamstring and couldn't even run. Of course we should have got him in on June 1st and paid him 10 weeks wages to stare at the wall.

La Celso missed out on 14 days training because that's the earliest we should have got him in because of the Copa.

Been mentioned/covered a million times....and I'm the forgetful one:rolleyes:

So, your triumphant point is that we saved ten weeks' wages not bringing Sessegnon in?

And I'm supposed to think that's some masterclass of transfer dealing?

The kid lost ten weeks of getting acclimatized to our team and his new team-mates, instead spending it sitting on his arse at Craven Cottage... so we could save ten lousy weeks' worth of his wages.

Christ. That's my point - pennies on the dollar, and if we were actually willing to delay the deal to August 8 because of ten weeks' wages for an injured 19-year old, I don't think it particularly helps your point, mate.

Our financial situation may have changed, but I wanted to see if Levy himself had. Because I suspect that, whether we're worth 50m or 500m, his habits will be the defining factor in how we act - not our status. And his habit is to penny-pinch, shave pennies off a deal to the detriment of squad readiness and preparation.

That might be changing now, and I'll be happy if it is.
I believed Levy's previous transfer operations were because of circumstance and pragmatic thinking and with the club's long term goals at the heart of it. You obviously don't and clearly never did.

Its strange how now the financial constraints and uncertainties are massively lower he's changing 'his habits' and reforming himself. He's doing nothing of the sort. He's just onto the next step of the plan, still backdropped by crunching the numbers.

You've slated him no end up to now and if he now spends as you wish you'll gladly polish his bald little head.

The sad thing is, he's been the same person all along.

So, your triumphant point is that we saved ten weeks' wages not bringing Sessegnon in?

And I'm supposed to think that's some masterclass of transfer dealing?

The kid lost ten weeks of getting acclimatized to our team and his new team-mates, instead spending it sitting on his arse at Craven Cottage... so we could save ten lousy weeks' worth of his wages.

Christ. That's my point - pennies on the dollar, and if we were actually willing to delay the deal to August 8 because of ten weeks' wages for an injured 19-year old, I don't think it particularly helps your point, mate.
Jeez.
1.He'd be on summer holidays for a lot of that.
2. His new squad would have fudged off on tour somewhere.
3. He would be in a medical room rebuilding his hamstring.

My main point was though, that you didn't know what you was talking about:D

Back