• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

I still don't think this is Levy's nadir.

But Mou devastating the club and walking out when he's denied any transfer funds for two windows in a row?

That will be Levy's nadir.

Either he starts spending now, in which case, why the f*ck didn't you do it for Poch...or he's going to try being a cheapskate again, in which case, Mourinho will walk.

You want to be a cheapskate, you look for the randos of the world, like Eddie Howe. Good managers, be they Mourinho or Poch, won't take that.

But Mou devastating the club and walking out when he's denied any transfer funds for two windows in a row?

Either he starts spending now, in which case, why the f*ck didn't you do it for Poch...or he's going to try being a cheapskate again, in which case, Mourinho will walk.

You want to be a cheapskate, you look for the randos of the world, like Eddie Howe. Good managers, be they Mourinho or Poch, won't take that.

It should be pretty obvious why we only started spending this summer gone

If the only way Poch was going to be able to get us success is via spending a fudgeton of money, why the hell wouldn't we give it to one of those proven, give them money and they will win you stuff managers?

If the only way Poch was going to be able to get us success is via spending a fudgeton of money, why the hell wouldn't we give it to one of those proven, give them money and they will win you stuff managers?

Exactly, I'm sorry but anyone who was/is surprised by anything in the last 24 hours hasn't worked in certain types of business.

- First up, Levy did what he had to, he made an executive call he believed (and a lot of other people do as well) that was necessary to protect the progress of the club. The fact that it is not a popular one (waiting for results to continue to slip, fans to turn and possibly pay out less would have been easier) speaks even more to his role (look at united appointing OGS long term because of fan opinion as counter example)

Results matter, as I said before the minute we shipped 7 goals in CL and didn't get an immediate massive turnaround post it was over for Poch, just when was the only question. Everyone here argues that we need to spend tons on players and that you got right, if you are going to spend 200M (and no, I have no idea how much money we will spend), would you spend it with a manager who has bought 26+ players yet still has almost half his squad from pre his time 5 years ago and who hasn't won anything or a guy who has actually won something at every club he has been in?

Nobody said that...oh what is the fudging point.

The clam is here and today is Wednesday. It is what it is, just stop trying to tell me why I should like it or why I don’t “understand it” (not necessarily you on that last one).

Because, as much as Mourinho is (/was?) a winner, I cannot think of a manager in world football less suited to getting on with Levy.

I find it hilarious that people think Levy is suddenly going to change how he operates. This last summer, we bought 2 of the 3 players in the last couple of days, one seemingly in a clever accounting trick to reduce the fee we'd have to pay to PSG. We struggled to move on any of the wantaway players this summer.

I'm not even saying he is operating in a wrong way (though I firmly think there is a time and a place). Overall, he has done a very good job. But his modus operandi is anathema to Mourinho, who will want to win big trophies, will want to do so by spending big and will not want stupid distractions around the squad going into the last few days of the window.

Again, this is not necessarily wrong either. But it isn't how we operate and I don't foresee this sea change that some of our fans see in the next few years (just like I didn't think Wembley was the root of all our issues and didn't think moving back to WHL would solve all of our issues).

What I think is far more likely is that Mourinho will ask for A, B, C. We'll spend the whole summer negotiating and end up with A, F, G. Things will eventually turn sour I'd imagine. Mourinho will call out Dele publicly, remind Spurs what a little old club we used to be and insinuate that Levy isn't backing him. And leave in a storm. Though in fairness, there's a good chance we'll win a trophy or two along the way.

I'm at a bit of a loss today. I'd come round to believing Poch may have to go. I didn't want it but football does move in cycles and perhaps this was the end of Poch's here. But I do feel he has been screwed by Levy to some extent in the last couple of seasons. Ah well, what is done is done now I guess.

Because, as much as Mourinho is (/was?) a winner, I cannot think of a manager in world football less suited to getting on with Levy.

I find it hilarious that people think Levy is suddenly going to change how he operates. This last summer, we bought 2 of the 3 players in the last couple of days, one seemingly in a clever accounting trick to reduce the fee we'd have to pay to PSG. We struggled to move on any of the wantaway players this summer.

I'm not even saying he is operating in a wrong way (though I firmly think there is a time and a place). Overall, he has done a very good job. But his modus operandi is anathema to Mourinho, who will want to win big trophies, will want to do so by spending big and will not want stupid distractions around the squad going into the last few days of the window.

Again, this is not necessarily wrong either. But it isn't how we operate and I don't foresee this sea change that some of our fans see in the next few years (just like I didn't think Wembley was the root of all our issues and didn't think moving back to WHL would solve all of our issues).

What I think is far more likely is that Mourinho will ask for A, B, C. We'll spend the whole summer negotiating and end up with A, F, G. Things will eventually turn sour I'd imagine. Mourinho will call out Dele publicly, remind Spurs what a little old club we used to be and insinuate that Levy isn't backing him. And leave in a storm. Though in fairness, there's a good chance we'll win a trophy or two along the way.

I'm at a bit of a loss today. I'd come round to believing Poch may have to go. I didn't want it but football does move in cycles and perhaps this was the end of Poch's here. But I do feel he has been screwed by Levy to some extent in the last couple of seasons. Ah well, what is done is done now I guess.

Mate Levy and Jose have known each other for years, they are both very intelligent and pragmatic men who if anything is to be believed have had conversations both previously and for some time this season. Yet you believe both of them are walking into this like a naïve teenager on a first date?

The point of spending 1B on a stadium and things like the NFL deal was exactly to change the way we operate.

Every manager has a limited run, and modern football is now lets appoint the manager most likely to win something in that limited time, and that is exactly what we did.

I don’t think anyone expects Levy to change, least of all Jose.

The problem is people don't understand this equation

- Levy spends what he believes is the right risk/reward for the club based on our income
- Our income is pretty much 4X what it used to be, and that's not counting full new season in stadium.

So it's not about changing, it's about having more revenue to work with.

I also suspect Levy has a January signing or two locked already (Fernandes seems highly likely)

The problem is people don't understand this equation

- Levy spends what he believes is the right risk/reward for the club based on our income
- Our income is pretty much 4X what it used to be, and that's not counting full new season in stadium.

So it's not about changing, it's about having more revenue to work with.

I also suspect Levy has a January signing or two locked already (Fernandes seems highly likely)

potentially, either way Jose knows full well there are constraints compared to his previous positions and has clearly agreed to work within them anyway

Mate Levy and Jose have known each other for years, they are both very intelligent and pragmatic men who if anything is to be believed have had conversations both previously and for some time this season. Yet you believe both of them are walking into this like a naïve teenager on a first date?

The point of spending 1B on a stadium and things like the NFL deal was exactly to change the way we operate.

Every manager has a limited run, and modern football is now lets appoint the manager most likely to win something in that limited time, and that is exactly what we did.

To be honest mate, I don't really care how long they've known each other. They could be the closest of friends, brothers even. It does not mean that they will work well together. I have friends who I really like as people who I would hate to work under. Similarly, as much as I know and love my brothers, I would hate to live with them again.

I believe everything that I have seen from Mourinho in the past 15! years we have of him as a record. Let's leave aside Real, I'll give him a pass for that as it was an incredibly high pressure situation and he did eventually manage to topple the unstoppable Barcelona machine domestically. But Chelsea x2 and Man Utd have ended in acrimony, fights with players and higher ups and belittling the achievements of the two most successful clubs in English football over the premier league era, who both gave him incredible amounts of money to burn.

I'm struggling to see much pragmatism from Jose, I think it would be one of the very last words people would use to describe him.

I don't believe they're walking into it as naive teenagers. I believe Mourinho thinks we will loosen the purse strings (I'm sure we will relative to the absolutely 0 net spend we've had in the last 5 or so years, it wouldn't be difficult). I'm sure Levy thinks Mourinho has been humbled to some extent by his most recent experience and that he wants to prove himself. Its akin to a woman dating a bad boy thinking they'll be the ones to change him.

This isn't how things work though. Levy will loosen but I do not believe he will ever stop looking at deals from a business pov. People will reply 'ah but look where it's got us'. Yep, we're much more successful generally. But still with one league cup to show for it in 20 years. Mourinho is not here to win league cups (or even FA cups). And Mourinho as I said is not here to build something long term. He is here to restore his reputation, Porto style. He isn't here to win small trophies (though he will put a lot of focus on cups imo, which I will welcome). He is a manager who wins big trophies and will expect the backing for that.

Like I said, I think people are being naive and hopeful (as football fans often are when it comes to their team in fairness) to think they will change. Mourinho complained about not being backed enough at Man Utd! Of all places.

Like I said, I hope Levy starts to act sometimes with football as the priority when it comes to deals. And Mourinho wins us a couple of trophies (and hopefully a big one) before the inevitable....arguments.

Incidentally, incredibly strange timing for me. Unless the two have had a blazing argument, why do it at the end of the international break and not the beginning, when Mourinho could have had 2 weeks to see the players who are still back here, maybe take in the academy etc etc?

To be honest mate, I don't really care how long they've known each other. They could be the closest of friends, brothers even. It does not mean that they will work well together. I have friends who I really like as people who I would hate to work under. Similarly, as much as I know and love my brothers, I would hate to live with them again.

I believe everything that I have seen from Mourinho in the past 15! years we have of him as a record. Let's leave aside Real, I'll give him a pass for that as it was an incredibly high pressure situation and he did eventually manage to topple the unstoppable Barcelona machine domestically. But Chelsea x2 and Man Utd have ended in acrimony, fights with players and higher ups and belittling the achievements of the two most successful clubs in English football over the premier league era, who both gave him incredible amounts of money to burn.

I'm struggling to see much pragmatism from Jose, I think it would be one of the very last words people would use to describe him.

I don't believe they're walking into it as naive teenagers. I believe Mourinho thinks we will loosen the purse strings (I'm sure we will relative to the absolutely 0 net spend we've had in the last 5 or so years, it wouldn't be difficult). I'm sure Levy thinks Mourinho has been humbled to some extent by his most recent experience and that he wants to prove himself. Its akin to a woman dating a bad boy thinking they'll be the ones to change him.

This isn't how things work though. Levy will loosen but I do not believe he will ever stop looking at deals from a business pov. People will reply 'ah but look where it's got us'. Yep, we're much more successful generally. But still with one league cup to show for it in 20 years. Mourinho is not here to win league cups (or even FA cups). And Mourinho as I said is not here to build something long term. He is here to restore his reputation, Porto style. He isn't here to win small trophies (though he will put a lot of focus on cups imo, which I will welcome). He is a manager who wins big trophies and will expect the backing for that.

Like I said, I think people are being naive and hopeful (as football fans often are when it comes to their team in fairness) to think they will change. Mourinho complained about not being backed enough at Man Utd! Of all places.

Like I said, I hope Levy starts to act sometimes with football as the priority when it comes to deals. And Mourinho wins us a couple of trophies (and hopefully a big one) before the inevitable....arguments.

Incidentally, incredibly strange timing for me. Unless the two have had a blazing argument, why do it at the end of the international break and not the beginning, when Mourinho could have had 2 weeks to see the players who are still back here, maybe take in the academy etc etc?

- Jose is extremely pragmatic about football mate, go watch any of his analysis of how he setup or countered big teams to win games
- Jose is not a long term appointment, isn't meant to be. He's meant to come in, win a couple of trophies, get that monkey off our back while raising the profile of the club another notch.

And re United, Jose complained because United bought players he didn't want while not getting players he did (and the player he wanted interestingly were Toby and Dier, neither of which would have been huge money) and from every reliable source Poch got damn near every player that was identified at beginning of window for this season (Sessegnon, Lo Celso, N'dombele, Clarke).

Levy is the best chairman in the league, and you aren't the best by doing the same thing over and over.

Let's leave it as we will see, I was on this board for a decade listening to how the stadium was a ruse, and Levy was in for a quick buck. I've also heard how we will never pay a player more than a 100K, list goes on.

- Jose is extremely pragmatic about football mate, go watch any of his analysis of how he setup or countered big teams to win games
- Jose is not a long term appointment, isn't meant to be. He's meant to come in, win a couple of trophies, get that monkey off our back while raising the profile of the club another notch.

And re United, Jose complained because United bought players he didn't want while not getting players he did (and the player he wanted interestingly were Toby and Dier, neither of which would have been huge money) and from every reliable source Poch got damn near every player that was identified at beginning of window for this season (Sessegnon, Lo Celso, N'dombele, Clarke).

Levy is the best chairman in the league, and you aren't the best by doing the same thing over and over.

Let's leave it as we will see, I was on this board for a decade listening to how the stadium was a ruse, and Levy was in for a quick buck. I've also heard how we will never pay a player more than a 100K, list goes on.

I wish i could give that post more then one like.

I'm not sure getting on with Levy is any kind of a prerequisite.

How do you think Levy felt about Poch's belief in auras and lemons? Or his mollycoddling of the precious little players?

Poch lasted well over a year into his own decline, despite having opinions that an intelligent pragmatist like Levy is unlikely to hold much truck with.

I am not saying Jose isn't a pragmatist within football. He is. He is well know for this. I actually have a huge amount fo respect for this. He (imo) will be far better at in game management and the big moments than Poch ever was. His Inter semi final tie against Barcelona may not have been pretty but imo was one of the most pragmatic and impressive results in the last decade.

With all due respect, it is laughable to think that Mourinho is more likely to get his transfer targets here than at Man Utd. What were we quoting for Toby, £70 million? You think Levy is going to spend £70 million on a 26/27 year old CB? Mourinho's first choice would most certainly not have been those 4. Clarke and Sess for two would most certainly not have been 2 of his 4 targets after 3 windows of basically no signings. Isn't this what AVB was rumoured to have done? Have a lovely meeting with Levy about his targets, who he wanted to get in, all of these youth players that fit in with our philosophy...and then promptly asked for Moutinho and Hulk,

With respect to Levy (who I do think overall is one of the best chairmen in the league) and to you, us paying over £100k/week is not that impressive or something to shout about. Most of the top half clubs do this now, because the growth in the TV money has been exponential and for us, the increased revenue from the CL participation has been huge.

Its probably sounding like I'm against this appointment. I'm actually not, though I'm very sad to see Poch go and, as I've said, I feel Levy screwed him a bit at the end. But I do think Mourinho inevitably goes one way. I'll probably find it quite funny when he inevitably reminds us that he's won more than us as a club and he grew up having never heard of Spurs or some similarly cutting comment. But I imagine most of our fanbase won't take quite so kindly to it. :D

But yes, we will see.

Back