• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

Daniel Levy has reassured Mauricio Pochettino that Tottenham Hotspur will finally splash the cash in the transfer market following the move to their new £1 billion stadium.

Tottenham announced a new eight-year shirt sponsorship deal with AIA on Thursday that is thought to be worth around £360m.

The £45m a year partnership - which replaces the previous deal with AIA, one of the world’s leading life insurers - is thought to be the third biggest in the Premier League after Manchester United and Emirates Marketing Project and follows the club’s long-awaited move into their new 62,000 capacity Tottenham Hotspur stadium in April.

Despite reaching the Champions League final last month, Tottenham have been unable to match the financial clout of Premier League rivals United, City, Chelsea, Liverpool and neighbours Arsenal down the years.

But Levy believes Tottenham - who also funded the move to a new £25m training ground, Hotspur Way, in 2012 - are ushering in a new era for the club and has vowed to provide the funds to help Pochettino compete.

“If I’m honest, we don’t feel the pressure,” Levy, Tottenham’s chairman, said at the launch of the new AIA deal in Shanghai ahead of their game against Manchester United at the Hongkou Stadium.

“Our view is wherever we can we will improve the team. We have embarked in recent years on two very major capital projects, which I think in the long term will be of great benefit to the club. We will continue wherever we can to improve the team.”

Tottenham’s capture of winger Jack Clarke for around £10m from Leeds this month ended a 517 day wait for a signing but the club have since smashed their transfer record to land France midfielder, Tanguy Ndombele, from Lyon for a projected £65m and are working on other deals.

Tottenham are closing in on a £20m deal for Swansea’s Ryan Sessegnon and Pochettino wants to bring in the £80m rated Juventus and Argentina forward, Paulo Dybala. The Spurs manager also hopes to sign Real Betis midfielder, Giovani Lo Celso, but his £67m price tag is so far proving prohibitive.

Levy believes Spurs supporters have a lot to be excited about going forward.

“I'd like to think we're going in a very positive direction and we will continue to do our very best to continue to grow, not just in Asia, but throughout the world,” he said.

“We've now met the priority of building the stadium and our training facilities and now it’s to continue to find ways to not only improve the commercial aspects of the club but also the football and continue to be a success.”

Tottenham’s previous deal with AIA was due to expire in 2022 but the new arrangement on improved terms runs until the end of the 2026/27 and is worth about £45m annually.

Although that is still below United’s £51m a year shirt sponsorship deal with Chevrolet and just below City’s partnership with Etihad, it is believed to eclipse the respective £40m a year shirt sponsorship deals Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal have.

Levy would not rule out striking a naming rights deal with AIA for the stadium in the future in what would be another huge financial windfall for the club.

“Very simply, AIA and I have discussed all sorts of possibilities and at the present time we’ve decided to focus only on the shirt,” Levy said when asking about naming rights.

“We always look to come up with new ideas in terms of how we can improve and enlarge the engagement between ourselves and AIA and I’m sure our respective teams will continue to do that.”

Levy said the value of the AIA deal would not be hit if Tottenham fail to qualify for the Champions League. “Obviously the commercial aspects of the deal are sensitive and confidential,” he said. “All I would say is that when you are in the Premier League it is a very competitive league and AIA know there are no guarantees of finishing in the top four. We very much hope we will, however that is no impact on the deal.”

Levy took mild exception to the suggestion that Tottenham were a “top six” club looking to hit much greater heights. Tottenham have finished in the top four in the past four seasons.

“I actually thought we were a top-four club for the last four years?” Levy said with a smile. “But obviously as part of our strategy we want a leading global brand and AIA is a brand we’re very proud to be associated with.”

Pochettino said last week that he would have probably left Tottenham had they won the Champions League but that the 2-0 defeat at Liverpool had made him even more determined to bring silverware to the club.

Strangely asked by a Chinese reporter if he was looking to make any management changes, Levy said: “We are always looking to improve the performance of the club but at the present time there is no intention of making changes to management.”

Ng Keng Hooi, chief executive and president of AIA, said: “The enormous popularity of the English Premier League and Spurs across our markets, coupled with the ongoing success of the club on the field, which culminated in the Champions League final appearance, make this an ideal time to extend our partnership.

“Spurs are a team primed for future success and we look forward to the future together with great excitement.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...eight-year-shirt-sponsorship-deal-worth-320m/
If you boil it down....3 letters on the shirt pays for the stadium.

Excellent news about the kit deal. The fact that AIA are sponsoring the shirt only leads me to believe levy must have something else lined up for the stadium naming rights.

If you boil it down....3 letters on the shirt pays for the stadium.

Widely reported figure is 1 billion, am I missing something in your boiling technique?

Love the bolded bit from Levy in that post though, 2 out of the top 6 don't play in the champions league, four out of the top four do. Added to this, according to my further calculations, 3 out of the top 7 don't play in the champions league. Let's save that one for Utd after OGS is at the wheel from the start of the season :cool:

Widely reported figure is 1 billion, am I missing something in your boiling technique?

Love the bolded bit from Levy in that post though, 2 out of the top 6 don't play in the champions league, four out of the top four do. Added to this, according to my further calculations, 3 out of the top 7 don't play in the champions league. Let's save that one for Utd after OGS is at the wheel from the start of the season :cool:
Yes
8 years
360m
Another 12 years or whatevs
You do de math

Not sure I follow...

You know 360m is not the yearly figure right?
Jeez. You artsy fartsy Harold Pinter types do not math well.

£360m for 8 years. 12 years later (with uplift) and we are well in profit. Stadium paid for, plus a marble statue of naked Sissoko outside the south stand.

20 years of splashing cash on players like a Qatari Prince. Then we are mortgage free and can move up a level, building a stadium at Tranquility Base

I think the logic is that the £40m a season covers our loan in that period

The post said it paid for the stadium...Not the fees / interest on the loan. I work in the debt advice sector and always like to be as positive as I can with clients but 1 billion spent is greater than 360m incoming over 8 years, one would think that's quite clear to see no? I wasn't sure if the original post was joke or not but now two other lovely GG folk have joined in so I'm thoroughly confused.

The post said it paid for the stadium...Not the fees / interest on the loan. I work in the debt advice sector and always like to be as positive as I can with clients but 1 billion spent is greater than 360m incoming over 8 years, one would think that's quite clear to see no? I wasn't sure if the original post was joke or not but now two other lovely GG folk have joined in so I'm thoroughly confused.
£1B spent isn’t the debt
the £1b is the figure rumoured for the whole development
Don’t forget that included land tags been paid for... and other developments on site

But say the debt was £500m over 20 years...
Thats a flat capital payment of £25m a year, plus interest and fees which even at a a crazy £20m a year is covered by the AIA deal and any deals subsequent to that assuming that advertising revenues don’t crash

Debt will be 650-690m when we come to re-finance. We have paid 200-300m as we've gone along.

£40-45m a season will easily cover the 25m interest pa and a chunk of capital repayment pa (if we can be bothered)

I'm confused daily.

Jeez. You artsy fartsy Harold Pinter types do not math well.

£360m for 8 years. 12 years later (with uplift) and we are well in profit. Stadium paid for, plus a marble statue of naked Sissoko outside the south stand.

20 years of splashing cash on players like a Qatari Prince. Then we are mortgage free and can move up a level, building a stadium at Tranquility Base

Haha I've been outed.

But seriously, 12 years later in what sense? We know what the stadium has cost (at least a media estimate), and we know what the income of the shirt sponsor is (see last brackets). In the subject of If you're talking about 12 years after the 8 year deal has expired it seems way off. If you're talking about in 12 years time from now then again it's way off.
£1B spent isn’t the debt
the £1b is the figure rumoured for the whole development
Don’t forget that included land tags been paid for... and other developments on site

But say the debt was £500m over 20 years...
Thats a flat capital payment of £25m a year, plus interest and fees which even at a a crazy £20m a year is covered by the AIA deal and any deals subsequent to that assuming that advertising revenues don’t crash

Where did I say it was?!?!?!?!??!?!?!

Edit - I'm going to re-read this when a tad more sober - Re my work, don't worry folks, they don't let me speak to clients that often.....

Haha I've been outed.

But seriously, 12 years later in what sense? We know what the stadium has cost (at least a media estimate), and we know what the income of the shirt sponsor is (see last brackets). In the subject of If you're talking about 12 years after the 8 year deal has expired it seems way off. If you're talking about in 12 years time from now then again it's way off.

Where did I say it was?!?!?!?!??!?!?!

You refer the 1B spent in your post. You refer to cost too. Cost isn’t important thiugh. It’s what we owe and at what rates

And he is talking about a 20 year period just as an arbitrary period. 8 years under the new deal plus another 12 under other deals after

It’s the kinda thing a lender likes isn’t it... well it is when I pitch my property developments to financiers

And of course...a shirt deal, this one or another, will keep going, and in affect will single handedly pay of the stadium. Not saying that that's how we will use the money but boiling it down into a simple trade off that adds up is nice to get a picture on our situation.

You refer the 1B spent in your post. You refer to cost too. Cost isn’t important thiugh. It’s what we owe and at what rates

And he is talking about a 20 year period just as an arbitrary period. 8 years under the new deal plus another 12 under other deals after

It’s the kinda thing a lender likes isn’t it... well it is when I pitch my property developments to financiers

Can't cost be more of an overall term that includes the rates of repayment? That's how I considered the term but I'm always happy to be advised otherwise.

RE the length of time I get you, it is very hypothetical but I guess that's the name of the game. Appreciate your input, it'd be quite nice to get some kind of GG economics school down in random for those of us less well endowed with this kinda knowledge.

And of course...a shirt deal, this one or another, will keep going, and in affect will single handedly pay of the stadium. Not saying that that's how we will use the money but boiling it down into a simple trade off that adds up is nice to get a picture on our situation.

Hmm, I think I'm just about getting it, I didn't quite understand you meant looking at the 20 year picture which would tend to skew figures somewhat! But you assume the next deal will be more worth taking in to account interest and wouldn't involve any potential necessary developments / maintenance costs to the stadium but this is probably being a bit picky on my part, cheers for clarifying.

Back