• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

I think he's been able to do what he's done for the club in part because of his big picture focus. I see no reason to think being less big picture focused would have been better.

Long term, he's been proven right. I do think he's perhaps erred though in terms of sacking Jol for Ramos to get to the next level and not signing anyone last summer. But, hey, if you'd told me in 2001 that we'd be at this stage, especially with City and Chelsea having won the lottery, I'd have been thrilled.

Whilst making Arsenal staff fly around (literally) in a worry instead of doing other parts of their jobs.
63870287.jpg

Long term, he's been proven right. I do think he's perhaps erred though in terms of sacking Jol for Ramos to get to the next level and not signing anyone last summer. But, hey, if you'd told me in 2001 that we'd be at this stage, especially with City and Chelsea having won the lottery, I'd have been thrilled.
Of course there have been mistakes along the way. I wouldn't expect a chairman to be without mistakes over 20 years any more than I would expect a player to go 20 games without misplacing a pass.

And of course there will be disagreements on what were mistakes and what weren't.

But his focus on the bigger picture is to me far from a mistake.

That could easily read: “Arsenal, for all of their firepower, really stretched themselves when they bought Ozil. They paid an extraordinary amount of money for him and they gave him an extraordinary contract"

Its very odd that Arsenal, at that time particularly, would have been so concerned about Levy.

Speaks a lot to his credit.

And is kind of embarrassing on their part. Reading the interview its like he is proud of his maneuvering, and yet it just sounds to me like he was lead a merry dance at the very idea of Levy.

Of course there have been mistakes along the way. I wouldn't expect a chairman to be without mistakes over 20 years any more than I would expect a player to go 20 games without misplacing a pass.

And of course there will be disagreements on what were mistakes and what weren't.

But his focus on the bigger picture is to me far from a mistake.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t for a second think he shouldn’t be big picture focused and I love him for it in a sport where pretty much everyone else is not thinking beyond the next 12 months or so. But you do also have to think short term sometimes.

I have no doubt that he is the best chairman in the game, i have been a Spurs man for a long time and i am "over the moon" to see where we are as a club now. It was not so long ago that we were a mid table team and just drifting and now look at us.

I have got tinkled off with some fans over the years who had/have tunnel vision and instead of looking at the progress we have been making could not wait to have a bitch/moan at him. Of course he made mistakes but then again we all do, but stand back and look where we are now as a club. I doubt that it would not have happened if Levy did what some of those fans said he would( he will never build the stadium, he will take the money and run, why does he not buy this player or that player etc,etc).

Than you Daniel for making a old Spurs fan feel proud of my club again.

I have no doubt that he is the best chairman in the game, i have been a Spurs man for a long time and i am "over the moon" to see where we are as a club now. It was not so long ago that we were a mid table team and just drifting and now look at us.

I have got tinkled off with some fans over the years who had/have tunnel vision and instead of looking at the progress we have been making could not wait to have a bitch/moan at him. Of course he made mistakes but then again we all do, but stand back and look where we are now as a club. I doubt that it would not have happened if Levy did what some of those fans said he would( he will never build the stadium, he will take the money and run, why does he not buy this player or that player etc,etc).

Than you Daniel for making a old Spurs fan feel proud of my club again.

This 100%. He's done an excellent job, and what a legacy he's made with that absolutely lovely new stadium and Poch at the helm. Long may it last. He deserves all the credit he can get, in my opinion.

This 400%. He's done an excellent job, and what a legacy he's made with that absolutely lovely new stadium and Poch at the helm. Long may it last. He deserves all the credit he can get, in my opinion.
we don't know if the stadium & training ground is going to be a millstone round the club's neck or a money spinner, in the transfer market I think he just doesn't see the chance and take the risk

we don't know if the stadium & training ground is going to be a millstone round the club's neck or a money spinner, in the transfer market I think he just doesn't see the chance and take the risk
The training ground and stadium is a risk, that is obvious, but is a risk we had to take.

While we were in the middle (and now towards the end) of that risk, I wonder what his risk profile was towards the other risky big cost element of football, transfers? Dialled down I'd say?.

There's an obvious connection and now we're seeing him dial it up a bit because he has a clearer picture of the debt burden and of course, a manager he trusts implicitly.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t for a second think he shouldn’t be big picture focused and I love him for it in a sport where pretty much everyone else is not thinking beyond the next 12 months or so. But you do also have to think short term sometimes.

I do think those days are coming though, we are constantly evolving from the club that had to always sell its biggest players to one that keeps them, even with Eriksen wanting a new challenge his loss and knowing he will be replaced/strength of the rest of the team it feels more manageable than when Berba left or Teddy etc

Daniel Levy has reassured Mauricio Pochettino that Tottenham Hotspur will finally splash the cash in the transfer market following the move to their new £1 billion stadium.

Tottenham announced a new eight-year shirt sponsorship deal with AIA on Thursday that is thought to be worth around £360m.

The £45m a year partnership - which replaces the previous deal with AIA, one of the world’s leading life insurers - is thought to be the third biggest in the Premier League after Manchester United and Emirates Marketing Project and follows the club’s long-awaited move into their new 62,000 capacity Tottenham Hotspur stadium in April.

Despite reaching the Champions League final last month, Tottenham have been unable to match the financial clout of Premier League rivals United, City, Chelsea, Liverpool and neighbours Arsenal down the years.

But Levy believes Tottenham - who also funded the move to a new £25m training ground, Hotspur Way, in 2012 - are ushering in a new era for the club and has vowed to provide the funds to help Pochettino compete.

“If I’m honest, we don’t feel the pressure,” Levy, Tottenham’s chairman, said at the launch of the new AIA deal in Shanghai ahead of their game against Manchester United at the Hongkou Stadium.

“Our view is wherever we can we will improve the team. We have embarked in recent years on two very major capital projects, which I think in the long term will be of great benefit to the club. We will continue wherever we can to improve the team.”

Tottenham’s capture of winger Jack Clarke for around £10m from Leeds this month ended a 517 day wait for a signing but the club have since smashed their transfer record to land France midfielder, Tanguy Ndombele, from Lyon for a projected £65m and are working on other deals.

Tottenham are closing in on a £20m deal for Swansea’s Ryan Sessegnon and Pochettino wants to bring in the £80m rated Juventus and Argentina forward, Paulo Dybala. The Spurs manager also hopes to sign Real Betis midfielder, Giovani Lo Celso, but his £67m price tag is so far proving prohibitive.

Levy believes Spurs supporters have a lot to be excited about going forward.

“I'd like to think we're going in a very positive direction and we will continue to do our very best to continue to grow, not just in Asia, but throughout the world,” he said.

“We've now met the priority of building the stadium and our training facilities and now it’s to continue to find ways to not only improve the commercial aspects of the club but also the football and continue to be a success.”

Tottenham’s previous deal with AIA was due to expire in 2022 but the new arrangement on improved terms runs until the end of the 2026/27 and is worth about £45m annually.

Although that is still below United’s £51m a year shirt sponsorship deal with Chevrolet and just below City’s partnership with Etihad, it is believed to eclipse the respective £40m a year shirt sponsorship deals Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal have.

Levy would not rule out striking a naming rights deal with AIA for the stadium in the future in what would be another huge financial windfall for the club.

“Very simply, AIA and I have discussed all sorts of possibilities and at the present time we’ve decided to focus only on the shirt,” Levy said when asking about naming rights.

“We always look to come up with new ideas in terms of how we can improve and enlarge the engagement between ourselves and AIA and I’m sure our respective teams will continue to do that.”

Levy said the value of the AIA deal would not be hit if Tottenham fail to qualify for the Champions League. “Obviously the commercial aspects of the deal are sensitive and confidential,” he said. “All I would say is that when you are in the Premier League it is a very competitive league and AIA know there are no guarantees of finishing in the top four. We very much hope we will, however that is no impact on the deal.”

Levy took mild exception to the suggestion that Tottenham were a “top six” club looking to hit much greater heights. Tottenham have finished in the top four in the past four seasons.

“I actually thought we were a top-four club for the last four years?” Levy said with a smile. “But obviously as part of our strategy we want a leading global brand and AIA is a brand we’re very proud to be associated with.”

Pochettino said last week that he would have probably left Tottenham had they won the Champions League but that the 2-0 defeat at Liverpool had made him even more determined to bring silverware to the club.

Strangely asked by a Chinese reporter if he was looking to make any management changes, Levy said: “We are always looking to improve the performance of the club but at the present time there is no intention of making changes to management.”

Ng Keng Hooi, chief executive and president of AIA, said: “The enormous popularity of the English Premier League and Spurs across our markets, coupled with the ongoing success of the club on the field, which culminated in the Champions League final appearance, make this an ideal time to extend our partnership.

“Spurs are a team primed for future success and we look forward to the future together with great excitement.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...eight-year-shirt-sponsorship-deal-worth-320m/

Back