• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cursed

90291Spur

Paul Walsh
Giorgio Chiellini said: “It’s the history of Tottenham, they always miss something at the end.

It feels like our club is cursed. The gut-punch last minute loss to the Bindippers today did not help. Two inches to the left from Steve B., H. not rippling the back of the net form a routine six yard header, then THAT headed goal from Bobby Dazzler. It seems we never get REALLY over the line.

Think of all the clubs (admittedly there aren’t that many) who have managed to win titles and trophies consistently. Our history is littered with wonderful, creative players, and some fantastic hard men too. Yet something IS missing.

Several times in our history we had squads that won stuff, and over the course of multiple seasons, but we have NEVER dominated like other clubs. Even in the pre-money doped Premier League era. The swashbuckling team of the early 60’s only got one league title, and despite signing Greaves the year after the double, didn’t take the title again. In the early 70’s we won trophies again over multiple seasons. Then the team of the early 80’s won three trophies lost one final and came close to winning the league. But not quite.

We’ve had bent refs steal key games from us (Benfica in 1962). We’ve had opposition players perform beyond their abilities (Neville Southall in 1985). We’ve had an entire club experience the most luck in sporting history to win the title (Leicester Thai Rapist FC in 15/16). And then to add to the list, we build a one billion pound stadium, a glorious monument to our past and future, and COVID hits so our revenue stream is shut off.

Maybe we need to pop the new stadium on the back of a lorry and move it somewhere else.

At the end of this season when we celebrate a very successful third place finish and, more importantly, Jose delivers on his promise of silverware with a glorious Rumbelows cup win, and at least 4,000 supporters are allowed into games as long as they order a substantial meal, I hope you’re going to retract all this Indian burial ground nonsense.

Don’t forget this is the club who lost CL football to our local rivals because of dodgy lasagna.

The club who lost CL football to the Chavs because they somehow won the CL with a caretaker manager who would later be fired by Aston Villa in the Championship. After Messi missed a pen to knock them out. They beat a German team in the final. In Germany. On a penalty shoot out. An English team beating a German team on pens???? And that was a scenario (fourth not getting CL) that didn’t happen before and won’t happen again.

What about that City game up there to put us well in the title hunt. Defoe misses by a toe for the win and then Ledley makes the only bad challenge of his career on a player who shouldn’t have been on the pitch. They score the pen and steal the points.

It does feel like we’re cursed. But we stuck in there after those letdowns and got CL with Harry and had our best run of league finishes with Poch. If we stick in there, the law of averages will give us our dues.

We are still in this title fight. We lost narrowly to our main rival at their place. Gut wrenching. I didn’t sleep last night. But beat them at ours and that’ll even itself out.We can still do it and there is no way Jose or the squad is throwing in the towel today.

I hope the result makes them angry, fires them up to go on another run.

it bloody should do!

Like most on here, I’m still sick and disgusted this morning. I can only imagine what the likes of Jose, Hugo, Dier, Hojbjerg and Kane are feeling. I’d say you could multiply what we’re feeling by 100. And if there’s one man who knows how to channel that hurt, it’s Mourinho.

Like most on here, I’m still sick and disgusted this morning. I can only imagine what the likes of Jose, Hugo, Dier, Hojbjerg and Kane are feeling. I’d say you could multiply what we’re feeling by 100. And if there’s one man who knows how to channel that hurt, it’s Mourinho.

Absolutely agreed. I wouldn’t be surprised if we went out and beat Leicester 5-0

It feels different this time, to me at least, not like Toby’s OG, Aurier giving away a pen. I would normally scream and shout at their goal at the end, but it felt inevitable, given our past, but not really born out of a textbook sexy mistake.

I came away gutted, yet strangely hopeful.

Losing away from home means one is cursed? Losing to the current champions means we are cursed? Stand up from the system and go for a walk. This stuff happens. We are not cursed.

Agreed. We're still on course for a top 4 finish which most of us thought was going to be a real challenge. Jose has got us heading in the right direction and last night further confirmed that - we were disappointed at losing to the champions

This is a silly thread.
If you can’t cope with losing the take up something like philately.
Losing is the grit that makes sport and more specifically football the Pearl it is

I was as down as anyone last night. My poor 12 year old son has to run the gauntlet this morning with 5 of his 'pool supporting mates (and they are going to be dingdongs about it). Honestly though, this type of sentiment is feeding a persecution complex that we need to shake. It doesn't help. Use it, channel it, and do better the next time.

We should have won last night on chances. Their goals were born out of a flukey deflection and a foul on Dier. We'll beat them in the return fixture.

Last edited:
I do have to take issue with the contention that Neville Southall played beyond his ability against us in 85. He was probably the best keeper in the world at the time.

All fans think they are cursed to a degree....football is cyclical.

Football is all about peaks and troughs - I feel we are definitely heading in the right direction.

I would love Mourinho to stay and put roots in our club. Win something and establish a legacy.

I'm bullish, I'm buoyant, we are going to win the league, absolutely, definitely, 100%, we are going to win the league. Last night just underlined how superior we are.

I'm just sitting back and enjoying it. It's inevitable.

I'm bullish, I'm buoyant, we are going to win the league, absolutely, definitely, 400%, we are going to win the league. Last night just underlined how superior we are.

Haha love the optimism. I'm only dejected because I wanted to win the league and win up at that brickhole. I guess winning the league and beating them at our place will have to do.

It's still happening. COYS.

This is where the old Nicholson phrase about "echo of glory" comes into play. We should be aiming for the league...100%. I see posts saying "I'll be happy with CL place and a cup, that's what we should look for". Bollox, we should look to win the league and if we end up top 4 and get one of the cups, we can reflect on that at the season's end. But for now, we should be all-in on the big dream. We have the squad. We have the manager. We have the infrastructure. All the pieces are in place. We just need a bit of luck to go with it.

Haha love the optimism. I'm only dejected because I wanted to win the league and win up at that brickhole. I guess winning the league and beating them at our place will have to do.

It's still happening. COYS.

This is where the old Nicholson phrase about "echo of glory" comes into play. We should be aiming for the league...400%. I see posts saying "I'll be happy with CL place and a cup, that's what we should look for". Bollox, we should look to win the league and if we end up top 4 and get one of the cups, we can reflect on that at the season's end. But for now, we should be all-in on the big dream. We have the squad. We have the manager. We have the infrastructure. All the pieces are in place. We just need a bit of luck to go with it.
Think some will sometimes speak with their realism hat on and other times with their optimistic hat on. That is all.

Unless you're AFTV Ty ...always the deluded hat:D

I'm bullish, I'm buoyant, we are going to win the league, absolutely, definitely, 400%, we are going to win the league. Last night just underlined how superior we are.

I’m not quite as bullish as you (although I love that you are!) but I felt okay after 15 minutes or so of the final whistle last night.

Mourinho was fudging fuming. He is going to channel that.

This season is going to be a war of attrition. So it’s made for him.

And if that is the best the division has then there is nothing at all to fear.

The state of this thread. We go on about the mentality of the club and the players but there is a section of fans that are a million times worse.

There's no curse, we simply haven't been good enough outside of the 60's and 80's to have won anything.
That's changed again in the last few years and hopefully, we will start winning trophies soon but we don't have any divine right to trophies.

Back