• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

Sources close the mayor's office are saying that or at least the 2-3 days bit. I doubt the army will be involved yet. Stopping Stanley Johnson going to pub and Jeremy Corbyn to where ever he goes shouldn't need the army.

Too many people are pushing this "Shut down most of the economy" line.

That isn't and cannot be the answer. This means most people don't have an income. I suspect most people have less than a month's earning in savings - that's not going to stretch 18 months. I bet plenty of people in this country have credit card bills and car loans to pay along with their mortgages - those aren't going to stop overnight. I know of very few businesses that could exist more than a month or two without income - nobody with any sense sits on that much cash. So even if we don't care about the millions who starve during this, there are no businesses left to create wealth once this has gone away.

It's incredibly dangerous for academics to be pushing this angle. The cost of governments listening to their naive opinions will be significantly worse than any virus outbreak could ever cause.

I agree. I think scientists and academics are loving this situation because it is their moment in the spotlight and the government have to be careful and keep them in check.

Haven’t hiked back pages so sorry if I’m covering already covered subjects but this whole thing has to be worse and dangerous than we know/being told? Has to be for the entire world to go into reverse in life etc

In principle I’d be very in favour of government temporarily hiking income tax and using the revenue to pay the wages of struggling businesses. Effectively replicating the money that we’d be spending on these businesses if there was no virus. My fiancée and I earn about £160k combined (mostly her!), and are pretty safe in our jobs - I’d be more than happy to help out the rest of society that are struggling through no fault of their own.

I’d imagine it would be very difficult to manage in practice though, in terms of deciding how much to give to each business. Maybe better to have companies lay off staff that aren’t needed to maintain their businesses through the lean times, and have government just pay those laid off people?

I’d put Scara in charge; sounds like his kind of thing.

Haven’t hiked back pages so sorry if I’m covering already covered subjects but this whole thing has to be worse and dangerous than we know/being told? Has to be for the entire world to go into reverse in life etc

Think we are being told if you join the dots.

Imperial college provided a study to the government showing 500,000 to 2.2m dead in the UK if we do nothing.

Hence even more extreme measures are needed.

Also, currently no end game... other than wait for a vaccine.

As you say, it had to have the potential to be that bad to get governments to do what they are doing.

Last edited:

They have stopped testing people with symptoms. There is probably at least 100,000 cases in london alone at the moment.

2.2m haven’t seen that bit wow

Apparently that study was the reason the government abandoned their Herd Immunity aka "let everyone get it" tactic.

Yesterday Boris said that with measures 20,000+ casualties would be a best case, but that it would be a long game.

Apparently that study was the reason the government abandoned their Herd Immunity aka "let everyone get it" tactic.

Yesterday Boris said that with measures 20,000+ casualties would be a best case, but that it would be a long game.

That’s frightening 20k plus. Won’t be long for a lock down and school closures in England.

I suspect we are being drip fed bad news at the moment. As for football back in April be lucky if we see any by next September if it’s going to be that bad.

More wow... was that was the government's original plan.

Hence Bojo coming out and saying that people you know are going to die.
That wasn't the government's plan. The data they have now are not the data they were initially given to work with.

There really needs to be some clarification on where these numbers are coming from.
20-30000 people in the UK die every year from the flu.
Is less than 20000 meaning from the flu + the covid 19 strain?

Who is projecting 2.4m and how?
Italy, Iran and China have all had it worse than us and it is nowhere near that in confirmed cases nevermind deaths.

Back