• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

Obviously varies wildly by school.

My neighbour’s 9 year old gets a load of work to do every day. He has to download it by 9am or he gets a message along the lines of “”Ooops, bit late to school today”. He then has to upload all his work by 3pm. At 2.45 he gets a message saying “Only 15 mins to go, don’t be late” If he uploads after 3pm he gets “Shame, you missed your deadline”. His teacher calls him every other day.

A bit much maybe, but his school is all over it and his teacher is obviously working very hard, with 25 kids to manage.

Thats actually quite impressive, you would hope all schools were the same.

IMO thats far too rigid and demanding.

Some houses have kids at different age groups eg 3 kids with 3 lots of work.

Some parents are meant to be working from home. and/or one parent might be out at work... How would all this fit in?

Awareness of indivduals situation and a degree of flexibility is important.....make it too hard, you will end up getting nothing from some parents.

Last edited:
I'm glad it's not like that, both me and my wife are working all day every day, we'd never keep on top of that too

I sit with my 11 year old every Sunday to do her week timetable
She gets emails 3 times a week from her teacher with said work to do

She agrees her timetable for the week and says she is happy with it only for come Monday she kicks off refuses to do it and has a massive melt down

Its fudging ground hog day and is doing my head in, she genuinely thinks she is on holiday

She also puts in 0 effort to everything, its a joke and totally different to how she behaves at school normally

I sit with my 11 year old every Sunday to do her week timetable
She gets emails 3 times a week from her teacher with said work to do

She agrees her timetable for the week and says she is happy with it only for come Monday she kicks off refuses to do it and has a massive melt down

Its fudging ground hog day and is doing my head in, she genuinely thinks she is on holiday

She also puts in 0 effort to everything, its a joke and totally different to how she behaves at school normally

my son is the same, resistance at every step

my son is the same, resistance at every step
It's doing my fudging head in
I have a busy job at the best of times and its hard going currently
She is playing the game too, asking for us after answering every question, etc
Be glad when she goes back to school even for a few hours hopefully June

I got 3 and we stagger it. The oldest has the PC and gets 3 hours in most days. The younger 2 do about 2 hours of solid work. This does not include PE which I do with them.

I am not sure how people manage more where the school is not coordinating it.

Number 1 is preparedness. Chinese people were dying in droves, then Iranians, then Italians. The UK acted fast with some things - we were one of the first to make a test. We had exceptional biomedical resources in the UK. Yet we dropped the ball getting prepared. A huge criticism is the government seeing what was happening and preparing well for it. That is a 'particular choice that can be criticised'.

Two, when it was clear we were unprepared, we didn't get testing setup nearly quick enough, or ensure it was being used. This was an infrastructure and logistics failure rather than a science issue. The UK has so many labs able to test.

Three, despite government advisors flagging up care homes as vulnerable - covid affects older people we knew this in Jan - nothing was done to strengthen our defense. Worse, we undermined care homes by sending sick people into the system.

Four, the government did not rally the nation, and use the resources at its disposal. Whether that was getting PPE, making it, using labs around the nation etc. We did get a volunteer army for the NHS, but so much more could have been done.

Five, messaging, it was not clear, no time was given for announcements to be implemented and the nation didn't feel like it was pulling together to achieve an aim (imo)

Are these 5 specific enough? I'm shooting from the hip, but to me it has been clear from the off, the government have been reacting, rather than taking effective control. It was a hard task, but there are clear things that could have been done a lot better.

On point 5 didn't they announce a 3 stage plan in late Feb which pretty much one (including all political parties and scientists) disagreed with at the time.

Just in case anyone is missing the international comparison chart during The Lies at Five, here’s the latest headlines:

Germany - population 81 million - circa 7,000 deaths

UK - population 65 million - 60,000 deaths

US - population 328 million - circa 75,000 deaths.

Not good whichever way it’s spun.

Not good but the head of ONS in the public committee said that slide isn't accurate now for comparisons and encouraged the removal of it (as well as the government).

Is the variation from school to school because each school was left to implement their own ideas and procedures? Was there any guidance re: service level, structure etc from local education authority or education department?

Our primary runs everything thru One Note. They post the tasks/lessons/structure for each class including videos/audio from the teachers and we upload work regularly (was nightly but its been tweaked), the headmaster (and other staff) run a youtube channel with Friday assembly, spot the difference challenges, exercise challenges, teachers reading stories, photograph comps, painting comps etc. They check in by phone once a week. The kids can arrange to visit the school library to exchange books.They've supplemented the structure by using plenty of online resources BBC bitesize, purple mash, carol vorderman maths, sumdog etc and allowed more flexibility in task choice outside the core of maths and english.

Aren't most schools free schools now who can set their own curriculums etc and are outside local authority control?

I think that it is reasonable to think that we would see similar numbers in the UK
If those number are accurate (I have yet to look into how they've measured them) then the assumptions previously made about how contagious it is must be way off.

The evidence that it was around shortly after, if not before, Christmas in Europe seems reasonably solid.

So is it saying 30k dead from 148k cases?

No. It is saying that is how many people had it at any one time during that period. The total number of people who have had it since February will be a lot higher. If our figures are similar to France and Spain (and their studies are reliable) we are looking at approximately 3m people who have had it in the UK.

Back