• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

So first people are allowed to return to France without going into quarantine now they are not. The Irish are still allowed to come into the UK without 14 day quarantine, but then we all know Ireland wants to be part of the UK when it suits them (or their economy) having thier cake and eat it me thinks.

Johnson is doing this liberal gonad*s wanting to look like Churchill when he had his spell with the lib dums. Do you guys honestly think my man Corbyn would not have been better, of course he would have done. Would have sorted Brexit as well, probably would still have freedom of movement but complete divergence on the rest of it. Which I would have liked.

The history of Unions and the characters involved does not mean there isn't a place for the concept of unions in any advanced society. Employers need to be held to account in a capitalist world where profits drive everything. One could argue the law is want holds them to account. There are plenty of examples where the support and guidance of unions has allowed people to fight for fair pay and fair conditions.

Nonetheless unions can be run badly and be political and not always focused on their members.

The balance isn't to do away with them though. But they clearly need to be different. Much like the public owned NHS. We need it but does it need to change? Absolutely.

Thing is you could see the mistakes unfolding at the time. The inaction and inappropriate action was startling. As for sending people from hospital with covid back to care homes - to clear wards - is tantamount to an act of mass killing. None of it was intentional, but when you see what Korea achieved - a tiney fraction of the deaths - you can see what was possible. We didn't get close. The government can blame many things - we didn't have SARS, the government got sick, we had a different strategy, scientific advisors etc - but the buck has to stop somewhere.

I said that Johnson and Cummings had blood on their hands a few weeks back. I stand by that.

It’s not safe to be in a pub.
It’s not safe to be in a restaurant.
It’s not safe to be on a crowded train or bus.
You shouldn’t see your mother and father together in an open air setting.
Offices need to stagger their workers’ attendance to avoid too many being in an enclosed space at once.
Plenty of evidence from the NHS and transport settings that high viral load can spell death, yet no evidence provided from government (despite three separate requests from unions) that children don’t spread the virus in the same way as adults.

But, never mind; pop into that classroom with 15 pupils for hours each day...it’s safe as houses. Honest, guv.

Thank goodness the unions are ‘being tacos’. Long may it continue.

Nothing has revealed the true nature of neo liberal ideology more than this pandemic. It has shone a lens on its atttutude as workers being nothing more than expendable units of production, to satisfy the capitalist agenda. "Go on don't be be scared, get out there and make me more money, be quick about too. Oh me, no not me, I'm staying in my cocooned, safe board room thank you very much."

Last edited:
Mr Troll has come out from under his bridge!

You do make me chuckle, to be fair. :D

Scara,what makes you think that teachers are not working from Home? We are teaching via Zoom et al, we are setting work, we are attending meetings, we are assessing work, we are liaising with parents and we are conducting welfare measures. We are in fact, doing all the things that we did when attending school. So what are you doing Scara? I will not say not much, because that would be wild speculation on my part. But I do know something, it will not be anywhere near as socially useful as that which teachers do!

Scara,what makes you think that teachers are not working from Home? We are teaching via Zoom et al, we are setting work, we are attending meetings, we are assessing work, we are liaising with parents and we are conducting welfare measures. We are in fact, doing all the things that we did when attending school. So what are you doing Scara? I will not say not much, because that would be wild speculation on my part. But I do know something, it will not be anywhere near as socially useful as that which teachers do!
I live with a teacher - the workload is a fraction of the normal load.

I'm doing the same job (and more) I do every day. Not doing so just because it's marginally more dangerous would be a ridiculous thing to do.

I live with a teacher - the workload is a fraction of the normal load.

I'm doing the same job (and more) I do every day. Not doing so just because it's marginally more dangerous would be a ridiculous thing to do.

What, so she is not teaching all her classes? Correcting all her work? Setting new tasks? Attending meetings? Must be one of those slackers you were referring to earlier. I'm not saying that is more work, but it certainly is the same

What, so she is not teaching all her classes? Correcting all her work? Setting new tasks? Attending meetings? Must be one of those slackers you were referring to earlier. I'm not saying that is more work, but it certainly is the same
She's been tasked with sending out a couple of worksheets a day and planning some zoom lessons (which are already planned and need adapting).

Primary schools are even worse. My son gets set three pieces of work a day and we mark it. Teachers calls once every few weeks.

I've got friends with senior school kids and (of those that attend public sector schools) none are still attending lessons all day every day.

She's been tasked with sending out a couple of worksheets a day and planning some zoom lessons (which are already planned and need adapting).

Primary schools are even worse. My son gets set three pieces of work a day and we mark it. Teachers calls once every few weeks.

I've got friends with senior school kids and (of those that attend public sector schools) none are still attending lessons all day every day.

Well, I am contacting my classes every day, and work is set every day. This is the same for my colleagues as well.

Well, I am contacting my classes every day, and work is set every day. This is the same for my colleagues as well.
I'd say that's a rarity - are you in a state senior school? Everyone I know is teaching their own kids the work that has been set with (at best) samples sent for marking.

I'd say that's a rarity - are you in a state senior school? Everyone I know is teaching their own kids the work that has been set with (at best) samples sent for marking.

Is the variation from school to school because each school was left to implement their own ideas and procedures? Was there any guidance re: service level, structure etc from local education authority or education department?

Our primary runs everything thru One Note. They post the tasks/lessons/structure for each class including videos/audio from the teachers and we upload work regularly (was nightly but its been tweaked), the headmaster (and other staff) run a youtube channel with Friday assembly, spot the difference challenges, exercise challenges, teachers reading stories, photograph comps, painting comps etc. They check in by phone once a week. The kids can arrange to visit the school library to exchange books.They've supplemented the structure by using plenty of online resources BBC bitesize, purple mash, carol vorderman maths, sumdog etc and allowed more flexibility in task choice outside the core of maths and english.

my 7 and 9 year olds aren't getting much to do either, and the contact has been once a fortnight
Obviously varies wildly by school.

My neighbour’s 9 year old gets a load of work to do every day. He has to download it by 9am or he gets a message along the lines of “”Ooops, bit late to school today”. He then has to upload all his work by 3pm. At 2.45 he gets a message saying “Only 15 mins to go, don’t be late” If he uploads after 3pm he gets “Shame, you missed your deadline”. His teacher calls him every other day.

A bit much maybe, but his school is all over it and his teacher is obviously working very hard, with 25 kids to manage.

My neighbour’s 9 year old gets a load of work to do every day. He has to download it by 9am or he gets a message along the lines of “”Ooops, bit late to school today”. He then has to upload all his work by 3pm. At 2.45 he gets a message saying “Only 15 mins to go, don’t be late” If he uploads after 3pm he gets “Shame, you missed your deadline”. His teacher calls him every other day.

A bit much maybe, but his school is all over it and his teacher is obviously working very hard, with 25 kids to manage.

Thats actually quite impressive, you would hope all schools were the same.

My kids are getting stuff daily - home work, video lessons, etc. but it is not policed as onerously as you describe (thank fudge). I'm still working full time from home myself so the burden is mostly falling on my partner. Most teachers are doing their best in a bad situation, and since the lockdown I have developed an even greater admiration for their profession. Yes, the whole thing seems very ad-hoc but I guess this will change over the summer break, or it should.

This I don't like though. Big tech already have way too much power and sway over people's opinions.
https://www.theguardian.com/news/20..._medium&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1589347325

Last edited:
Back