• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

I assume he was ultimately responsible for the CJRS project.

Getting something like that set up so well, so quickly and reliably in such a short space of time is no mean feat for the private sector. To do that with civil servants and govt busybodies is nothing short of a miracle.
It's 'in house' all the data is there. And the public facing front end of government IT has been very good the last 5-10years.

Once the levels and conditions have been set, whats the difficulty.

For the record, I don’t hate the government, and I of course wanted them to get their reaction to the pandemic right. I do think, though, that they have made a host of bad decisions which have cost thousands of lives. They have failed to own that - in fact, they are in my opinion exerting a huge amount of effort on arse-covering and spin when their priorities should be elsewhere. I also think that the Prime Minister has shown he is not up to the job, and there is a lack of real talent (or questioning, intelligent thought) in the cabinet.

I don’t think things would necessarily have been better handled had Corbyn won; in fact, he’d probably still be trying to put together a committee to come to a consensus on whether the virus is contagious or not.

I don't entirely disagree with you here, but as with certain other aspects of the crisis I think this goes much deeper than the here and now. We live in a society where it very often seems that the raison d'etre of the opposition and a large chunk of the media is to find fault, to trip people up and simply stir trouble at any opportunity. There's a very clear difference in my opinion between that and grown up, responsible opposition. It's no wonder at all that we have a culture of arse covering. If we don't like it, maybe we need to think more about what has at least helped to bring it about.

And great point on Corbyn, btw.

I can't see why not. Immigration from India has been established a while now, so even the oldest of the swivel-eyed loons would have grown up with it being normal. I also think if you asked the opinion of those who don't particularly like immigration, they'd probably tell you that those from India are least troublesome in their eyes. Think about the stereotype of Indian immigrants (as you're putting yourself in the position of someone who relies on them to judge) - hard-working, studious and polite kids, tend to end up in professional positions, etc.

I think if there's to be a PM who isn't white British in their background, one of Indian descent is the most likely.

I think this is largely true. I think the anti immigration rhetoric in this country is more "sophisticated" than just not wanting an Indian. The dislike of Pakistanis and Muslims is driven by stereotypes around terrorism and grooming gangs. Indians do not have those hanging over them.

I don't entirely disagree with you here, but as with certain other aspects of the crisis I think this goes much deeper than the here and now. We live in a society where it very often seems that the raison d'etre of the opposition and a large chunk of the media is to find fault, to trip people up and simply stir trouble at any opportunity. There's a very clear difference in my opinion between that and grown up, responsible opposition. It's no wonder at all that we have a culture of arse covering. If we don't like it, maybe we need to think more about what has at least helped to bring it about.

And great point on Corbyn, btw.

I also feel its the responsibility of people to rather than create noise to find solutions. Its always very well for the opposition of anything to push their own agenda to get into power but there should be a time that is put to one side and there is a unified approach to facing this crisis. There may be a political divide thats fine but we are on the same side as humans, so maybe that should drive a united front rather than the continued political agenda pushing which when this is all said and done amounts to no help

I like Rory Stewart I would have voted Tory at the last election for the first time ever if he was the leader.

He fits the profile of what a prime minister should be. Intelligent and serious but not the shallow fakeness and attention seeking of blair, cameron Johnson.

Did not really take to him at the time but it is a shame ed Miliband never became leader. He had some really good ideas.

I agree Sunak is the only one who has impressed from the government during this crisis. But is the country ready for a PM of Indian origin? Scrap that are the Tory grass roots ready for their Leader to be of Indian origin?

I dont know they had two women leaders. Asians actually do well in local tory associations that try to prove their not racist.

Think it could work you know. I wont vote for them, if the liberals were not so pro European maybe them. The greens if they were not such utter stupid mentally deranged idiots who destroyed my local town.

I think this is largely true. I think the anti immigration rhetoric in this country is more "sophisticated" than just not wanting an Indian. The dislike of Pakistanis and Muslims is driven by stereotypes around terrorism and grooming gangs. Indians do not have those hanging over them.
My wife and I (both English of Indian origin), have as recently as January been racially abused in the street. My wife's parents were told told to fudge off their bus because the country voted to leave. These are extremes of course, but we know most racism is subtle and not at all sophisticated. The anti immigration narrative is not just about control of borders, some is about islamaphobic sentiments but a lot is to do with identity.

The above is not to say btw that I don't feel safer in this country than most European ones or the place across the pond.

My wife and I (both English of Indian origin), have as recently as January been racially abused in the street. My wife's parents were told told to fudge off their bus because the country voted to leave. These are extremes of course, but we know most racism is subtle and not at all sophisticated. The anti immigration narrative is not just about control of borders, some is about islamaphobic sentiments but a lot is to do with identity.

Sorry to hear that, thats not cool at all

Far too wet. Doesn't nearly have the nuts for any serious job.

He's even dropped out of the London mayoral race as he doesn't want to campaign for another year.

He fits the profile of what a prime minister should be. Intelligent and serious but not the shallow fakeness and attention seeking of blair, cameron Johnson.

Did not really take to him at the time but it is a shame ed Miliband never became leader. He had some really good ideas.

The three quid special to vote for Labour leader was a doozy.

Back