• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coffee

I have a standard Krups grinder mate, works absolutely fine for me/us...sometimes I will ask the seller to grind to a 4. Hand-grinder sounds great but I want to get the job done and have always found Krups grinders to be the best for the price.
Yeah I thought I'd be fine with a hand grinder but making three mugs of coffee takes me about 5 minutes!

I might just grab one of the better reviewed krups electric burr grinders from Amazon then- it won't get used that often anyway as im more than happy with the rhino for single cups, and if I have to replace it in that far off time when somehow I can afford to justify hundreds of pounds on a fancy espresso maker then I'm sure I'll be able to afford to replace the grinder ;)

Last edited:
so, black Ivory beans, anyone been there?
Is that the company that uses elephants? I've always mentally lumped it in the same group as that civit coffee and thought more of a gimmicky selling point and excuse for a markup than anything that will increase the quality. Happy to be told otherwise though!

Makes you wonder how anyone ever thought to try it in the first place. Just eyeing up a big nelly dump and thought, why not? Weird.

Never heard of these aeropress thingys before, might give it a go for 23 quid, looks fairly straightforward a process.

Is that the company that uses elephants? I've always mentally lumped it in the same group as that civit coffee and thought more of a gimmicky selling point and excuse for a markup than anything that will increase the quality. Happy to be told otherwise though!

Didn't know about Civet coffee, sounds like they get treated pretty badly, from what I know of the black ivory its a pretty elephant friendly, I think you have nailed it with the markup angle.

Makes you wonder how anyone ever thought to try it in the first place. Just eyeing up a big nelly dump and thought, why not? Weird.

Never heard of these aeropress thingys before, might give it a go for 23 quid, looks fairly straightforward a process.

The same could be said for a lot of things we eat though!

I really recommend them, particularly if you like strong coffee. You can dilute it if you prefer an Americano style but if you have good coffee and make sure the water isn't too hot (they recommend 85 degrees, if you dont want to faff about with thermometers then basically leave the kettle for 3-4 mins or pour boiling water into a room temp mug, then another room temp mug and you're there i find) then it's better as an espresso style IMO.

Just used it to make a cup of the nice pact coffee and its way, way better than the v60 - much sweeter and fruitier, making me wonder if the extra premium stuff is indeed worth it!

ha ha

yeah, what were they doing when they found the coffee bean intact in there, ooh, not what i'm looking for but i'll keep that for later

Didn't know about Civet coffee, sounds like they get treated pretty badly, from what I know of the black ivory its a pretty elephant friendly, I think you have nailed it with the markup angle.
Yeah when they first started I think the intentions were good but once it took off and money started flowing it seems to have become a fairly cruel business of force feeding caged civets coffee Cherry's for no real reason. I mean if they're not naturally picking the 'best ripest Cherry's' then it sort of defeats the already paper thin selling point!

tea at home, caffeine out/at restaurant, cafe etc, energy drink at work, that's how u do your caffeine fixes

Yeah when they first started I think the intentions were good but once it took off and money started flowing it seems to have become a fairly cruel business of force feeding caged civets coffee Cherry's for no real reason. I mean if they're not naturally picking the 'best ripest Cherry's' then it sort of defeats the already paper thin selling point!

spot on!!

:)..i'm resurrecting this thread.

Had a single origin from Tolima, Columbia. Bought from Nude Roasters @ the London Coffee Festival
Caturra varietal. Notes say syrupy caramel, ripe red fruit.

3 important things to note. Coffee is 4 weeks old, I steep 28gms in a cup (so poor grind/methods) & MY palette sucks. but here goes.

Poor/cheap grind really screws up extraction so brew is strong but uneven. Ripe red fruit undertone is mild but clear. It is however punctuated by bitter points due to over-extraction and has lost any caramel notes. On the plus side, good body. Have had worse but certainly have had much, much better.

Had a single origin from Tolima, Columbia. Bought from Nude Roasters @ the London Coffee Festival

3 important things to note. Coffee is 4 weeks old, I steep 28gms in a cup (so poor grind/methods) & MY palette sucks. but here goes.

Poor/cheap grind really screws up extraction so brew is strong but uneven. Ripe red fruit undertone is mild but clear. It is however punctuated by bitter points due to over-extraction and has lost any caramel notes. On the plus side, good body. Have had worse but certainly have had much, much better.

I've definitely noticed the same as you with the grind - I was grinding the same for the v60 as I was the aeropress and the v60 never tasted as good. I think the water was passing through too quickly to extract as since grinding more coarsely I've been able to get a much more full bodied cup that's almost as good as the aeropress.

I'm currently drinking a Columbian single origin too - pact's Finca Buenos Aires - which is described as 'ruby red plum' though.

Very nice coffee, certainly very fruity though I need a strong cup to really enjoy it. Finding undiluted aeropress (2 scoops coffee) the best way to make it, though three scoops in the v60 makes a pretty good mugs worth.

I've definitely noticed the same as you with the grind - I was grinding the same for the v60 as I was the aeropress and the v60 never tasted as good. I think the water was passing through too quickly to extract as since grinding more coarsely I've been able to get a much more full bodied cup that's almost as good as the aeropress.

I'm currently drinking a Columbian single origin too - pact's Finca Buenos Aires - which is described as 'ruby red plum' though.

Very nice coffee, certainly very fruity though I need a strong cup to really enjoy it. Finding undiluted aeropress (2 scoops coffee) the best way to make it, though three scoops in the v60 makes a pretty good mugs worth.

I have always used a French Press until recently when it broke. Have not replaced it yet. I am partial to the oil & quite alright with the minute amount of grounds that end up in the cup. It results in a deep, rich, full bodied mouthful but it also brings out the worse in the case of old(ish) beans and unforgiving grind.

I have friends & a nephew (who is a learning to be a barista) that swear by both the V60 & Aeropress. But I think it's because they are more partial to a cleaner, fruitier taste & brightness of the brew.

Apart from the grind, do you find that these two methods bring out the more subtle tones of the coffee rather than the full immersion of the Press? & that all 3 methods & the taste palette they produce are basically subject to the speed of extraction as you alluded to above?

Cheers.

I have always used a French Press until recently when it broke. Have not replaced it yet. I am partial to the oil & quite alright with the minute amount of grounds that end up in the cup. It results in a deep, rich, full bodied mouthful but it also brings out the worse in the case of old(ish) beans and unforgiving grind.

I have friends & a nephew (who is a learning to be a barista) that swear by both the V60 & Aeropress. But I think it's because they are more partial to a cleaner, fruitier taste & brightness of the brew.

Apart from the grind, do you find that these two methods bring out the more subtle tones of the coffee rather than the full immersion of the Press? & that all 3 methods & the taste palette they produce are basically subject to the speed of extraction as you alluded to above?

Cheers.
Its definitely very subjective but I prefer the subtle flavours and brighter coffees and I find the v60/aeropress are better for bringing those out.

I've got nothing against a French press (certainly dont care about a bit of grinds) and I quite often use one at work when I forget the aeropress, but I've never managed to get as clean a taste regardless of the brew time or grind. That's not to say you can't get a very nice cup from one but they taste like very different drinks to me with the extra bitterness and oil.

I was chatting to a local roaster and he was saying different beans tend to fare better with different methods though.

pact have sent me a v60, hopefully i'll try it out tomorrow, normally a french press/stovetop percolator guy

Its definitely very subjective but I prefer the subtle flavours and brighter coffees and I find the v60/aeropress are better for bringing those out.

I've got nothing against a French press (certainly dont care about a bit of grinds) and I quite often use one at work when I forget the aeropress, but I've never managed to get as clean a taste regardless of the brew time or grind. That's not to say you can't get a very nice cup from one but they taste like very different drinks to me with the extra bitterness and oil.

I was chatting to a local roaster and he was saying different beans tend to fare better with different methods though.

Great! I will definitely look into one or both. I think there is probably an art to the V60 & the Aeropress is likely more forgiving. being a lazy sod I would probably gravitate towards the latter.

Thanks for the feedback.

Had a mug from Fazenda Santa Alina, Brazil.
the Krups decimate the grind. :( can't wait for my grinder to be fixed.
even so it's a good mouthful with a chocolate after tone. i reckon mild acidity.
maybe it's an age thing but the older i get the more partial i am to these gorgeous mellow varietals.

I bought an aeropress in the end, really impressed actually. I'm not too fussy about coffee and will drink anything, but it does make a nice, clean drink. Very easy to clean too which gets it marks for me.

The water temp thing is a bit of a guess work job though, just leave it for a bit and hope for the best, can you buy kettles that heat to the temp you want these days?

Also can you stick coffee grounds and paper filters in the compost?

Had a mug from Fazenda Santa Alina, Brazil.
the Krups decimate the grind. :( can't wait for my grinder to be fixed.
even so it's a good mouthful with a chocolate after tone. i reckon mild acidity.
maybe it's an age thing but the older i get the more partial i am to these gorgeous mellow varietals.

Yeah I really appreciate the mellow flavours you can get from the nicer varieties, but I am finding that even the mellow ones i'll still drink a lot stronger than i used to.

I bought an aeropress in the end, really impressed actually. I'm not too fussy about coffee and will drink anything, but it does make a nice, clean drink. Very easy to clean too which gets it marks for me.

The water temp thing is a bit of a guess work job though, just leave it for a bit and hope for the best, can you buy kettles that heat to the temp you want these days?

Also can you stick coffee grounds and paper filters in the compost?
Yeah you can compost them.

For water temp I've got a really accurate thermometer (thermopen - use it for cooking meat mainly but also handy for coffee) but when I can't be bothered I'll just boil the water, pour it into one mug and then into another one - that tends to make it about 85c. You can get kettles that let you set the temp but they're fairly pricey I think.

Excellent!! Do let us know how it works out. what coffee are you drinking now with the Press?

it arrived but I've not tried it yet, I have pact planalto, I'll report back tomorrow

also, next bag will be El Mirador, marmalade taste apparently, very much looking forward to that

Back