• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Clement Lenglet

We need all the world class players we can get, best put in mass bids for all of San Marino and Faroe Island's players so we can stack the squad with world class talent...

It's a slightly pedantic thought but unless I've missed something Lenglet isn't our player so shouldn't this be in general?

I said we have not bought a world class player since Klinsmann, I did not say no player has developed into a world class while at Spurs since then.

Also WC players don't move very often, they generally become world class at top clubs who then don't sell them. Who's moved in the last 2 summers that would be considered world class at the time they moved? Haaland is the only one that springs to mind (though I'm probably missing someone) and even then he was generally considered good rather than world class by most.

Also WC players don't move very often, they generally become world class at top clubs who then don't sell them. Who's moved in the last 2 summers that would be considered world class at the time they moved? Haaland is the only one that springs to mind (though I'm probably missing someone) and even then he was generally considered good rather than world class by most.

I really do not care either way as I have never ever complained about Spurs not buying world class players. There are Spurs fans out there bitching about Levy not signing world class defenders. That has never been my view, although I do think we can do a lot better than Lenglet who I do not rate

You'd have to be delusional to think that we could attract ready made world class players today.

Rightly or wrongly, we'll be viewed as a team which has slipped down the league, isn't in the CL, might not be able to afford to build a competitive team, cant pay top wages etc

We're in a period of resetting. We need to sign young players who can improve quickly with us, like when we signed Modric, Bale, Dele etc or decent players at smaller teams who can step up like Toby, Jan, Dembele, Son etc

You'd have to be delusional to think that we could attract ready made world class players today.

Rightly or wrongly, we'll be viewed as a team which has slipped down the league, isn't in the CL, might not be able to afford to build a competitive team, cant pay top wages etc

We're in a period of resetting. We need to sign young players who can improve quickly with us, like when we signed Modric, Bale, Dele etc or decent players at smaller teams who can step up like Toby, Jan, Dembele, Son etc
I don’t agree with all of what your saying but the principle is right
We should always aim to sign developing, younger players
That IMO should be our philosophy
But we are massively attractive to players, even ones who could be in the CL with their existing clubs
We pay mega money
We’re in London
It’s the best league in the world
Players talk about the facilities we have
And add in some will want to play for Ange
Not being in the CL won’t hurt us short term. But not having the money to buy what we need will

ange has just left a CL club to come here

Would only keep as fourth option after two new centra backs have come in, I rate him higher than Sanches, Dier and Davies. Ideally I would want us to bring in three new centre backs but that might be to much to hope for.

I don’t agree with all of what your saying but the principle is right
We should always aim to sign developing, younger players
That IMO should be our philosophy
But we are massively attractive to players, even ones who could be in the CL with their existing clubs
We pay mega money
We’re in London
It’s the best league in the world
Players talk about the facilities we have
And add in some will want to play for Ange
Not being in the CL won’t hurt us short term. But not having the money to buy what we need will

ange has just left a CL club to come here

We may pay "mega money", as you call but we lack a proven recent history of winning trophies and have only competed for the league title once this century. There are a lot of players that simply do not think we are good enough, and remember not every one moves for money, many want to win things.

Last edited:
Would only keep as fourth option after two new centra backs have come in, I rate him higher than Sanches, Dier and Davies. Ideally I would want us to bring in three new centre backs but that might be to much to hope for.

The only reason I would keep Dier instead of signing Lenglet is because the former has just a year left on his contract. If I kept Dier I defiently would not offer him a new contract. I do not think either player is good enough for where we want to be.

We may pay "mega money", as you call but we lack a proven recent history of winning trophies and have only competed for the league title once this century. There are a lot of players that simply do not think we are good enough, and remember not every moves for money, many want to win things.
Every player can be tempted with money
Why are they going to Saudi
Why did they go to city

Every player can be tempted with money
Why are they going to Saudi
Why did they go to city
We don't offer that kind of money. It's rare that we sign notable players or players who are squarely on everyone's radar.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

We don't offer that kind of money. It's rare that we sign notable players or players who are squarely on everyone's radar.

What players do you think we want
Unless a okayed is at a genuinely elite club paying mega money… And there isn’t many of those.. a player can be tempted with money to join us

Unless a okayed is at a genuinely elite club paying mega money… And there isn’t many of those.. a player can be tempted with money to join us

upload_2023-6-26_23-7-50.png

*I'm not agreeing or disagreeing as there's barely a single comprehensible and functional sentence in the post, at least give posters a chance to understand your point, doesn't take long to double check things.

Context will be important on this one - if he's our main CB signing that'd be bad but as someone else said previously (though i can't find the post now) if we stregthen/spend well elsewhere (incliding no.1 CB target) then as a cheap back up option it could make sense.

I really do not care either way as I have never ever complained about Spurs not buying world class players. There are Spurs fans out there bitching about Levy not signing world class defenders. That has never been my view, although I do think we can do a lot better than Lenglet who I do not rate

Oh come on. Last summer you had a go at me for saying i'd like an upgrade on dier and davies in defence. Would have them as bench options.

I wasn't claiming we want anyone in particular it's just you seemed to be claiming we are willing and able to pay any wage when that's clearly not the case.

We don't offer Saudi type wages, or Saudi Sportswashing Machine or Emirates Marketing Project type inducements. We actually pay lower wages than Arsenal. So saying any player can be tempted is true but not really relevant to the way Tottenham operate.

I wasn't claiming we want anyone in particular it's just you seemed to be claiming we are willing and able to pay any wage when that's clearly not the case.

We don't offer Saudi type wages, or Saudi Sportswashing Machine or Emirates Marketing Project type inducements. We actually pay lower wages than Arsenal. So saying any player can be tempted is true but not really relevant to the way Tottenham operate.
We actually now pay more than arsenal
We pay more than anyone in Italy and only 3 teams in France and Spain pay more
Id hazard a guess and say that we pay more than everyone in Germany too apart from Bayern

and any player worth recruiting won’t be going to Saudi

that actually that puts us in the top 10 payers in the world

We actually now pay more than arsenal
We pay more than anyone in Italy and only 3 teams in France and Spain pay more
Id hazard a guess and say that we pay more than everyone in Germany too apart from Bayern

and any player worth recruiting won’t be going to Saudi

that actually that puts us in the top 10 payers in the world

As per the last set of accounts Arsenal still pay slightly more than we do. £213m versus £208m

Again as per the accounts PSG, Barca, Real, Athletico, Juventus and Inter all pay more than we do so not quite just the three teams between Spain, France and Italy like you think.

My point is and remains, you cant say money can tempt players when we aren't in the league of big payers. For example, the type of wages that will tempt an established CL player to join Spurs right now are the levels of wage we aren't willing to pay.

Back