• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Clement Lenglet

We can offer a salary all Serie A, La Liga(except Barca&Real), Bundesliga(except Bayern), Ligue 1(except PSG) teams can't. So basically outside of the PL, there are only about 4 teams all over Europe that can pay what we can pay for a world class defender.

And yet we have never signed a world class defender. Come to think of it, when was the last time we ever signed a world class player? I am thinking Klinsmann.

In that context, the backup who can cover LCB, who knows the club & league now for £5M-£6M absolutely makes sense and................In a year, we can move him on for a profit.

So you think we can move him on for a year for a profit, interesting. If that were the case how come now that he is available for £5-6m he has not been linked to another club? Why wait a year when he will be a year older and more expensive?

The fact that no one else is remotely linked to him speaks volumes.

Last edited:
And yet we have never signed a world class defender. Come to think of it, when was the last time we ever signed a world class player? I am thinking Klinsmann.
VDV in terms of name recognition? He was close to WC in some aspects, but his lack of stamina probably prohibits the label applying to him. Otherwise I can't really think of anyone, it's not been our mode of attack especially in the ENIC era. [emoji848]

Just had a thought, maybe Lloris? I don't think his status changed when he joined us, if anything it was a quite a bit of coup for us to sign him at the time.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

VDV in terms of name recognition? He was close to WC in some aspects, but his lack of stamina probably prohibits the label applying to him. Otherwise I can't really think of anyone, it's not been our mode of attack especially in the ENIC era. [emoji848]

Just had a thought, maybe Lloris? I don't think his status changed when he joined us, if anything it was a quite a bit of coup for us to sign him at the time.

We have never in our history had this conveyor belt moments of signing regular WC players though especially after the early 60s. Many were signed and turned into WC players, actually probably more in that mould within the Enic time than others (Berba, Bale, Modric, Walker etc). But I could count on one hand those that have signed as well established WC players in our time and they are likely Klinsmann, Ardiles, Villa, Gazza, Lineker and VDV

When we signed Lloris he was very highly thought off but World Class? No.

And as for VDV, I thought he was very good, but definitely not World Class, well not in my opinion.

Last edited:
Oooh WC*
Well, players that are respected at the World Cup include Romero. Perisic. Lloris. Porro. Son. Kane. Bentancur. Royal. But in terms of players that won the World Cup, that is just Romero.

Oooh let's have a chat about how to define WC!

Oooh WC*
Well, players that are respected at the World Cup include Romero. Perisic. Lloris. Porro. Son. Kane. Bentancur. Royal. But in terms of players that won the World Cup, that is just Romero.

Oooh let's have a chat about how to define WC!

It's obviously when you play football somewhere in the world, so really anyone who has ever played football is world class myself included.

Now that one is sorted I reckon we should rehash the top four versus trophies debate, that's always a fun one.

Pace isn't the problem with a high line, game reading, positioning and anticipation are more important along with a dash of decision making. Sadly he's quite poor in four areas.

Pace only then comes into it if your positioning and anticipation are initially off, with Dier he will make misjudgments making his lack of extreme recovery speed and agility poorly suited for a recovering CB in a high line.

It will not end well.

I can’t believe people are still talking up Dier after the crap performances he has turned in for the last 4-5 years. It’s beyond belief how anyone still rates him at all let alone as highly as GB and Baleforce do but I think some of it is honestly just trolling.

Pace doesn't tailor off till early to mid 30s. Dier is only 29, so right at his physical peak (generally 23-30).

Generally I think we have to ignore anything from the past 3.5 years in terms of players' form. Horrendous managers have done all sorts of damage, but there will be resurrections for some players if Postie is any good.

In theory maybe but Dier is NOT quick in any sense of the word. I accept the squad has been mismanaged to a degree but that doesn’t account for some of the mistakes he made last season; misplaced passes when not under pressure, the mistake for Salah’s goal against Liverpool, poor positioning, failing to stick a leg out and block shots.

In theory maybe but Dier is NOT quick in any sense of the word. I accept the squad has been mismanaged to a degree but that doesn’t account for some of the mistakes he made last season; misplaced passes when not under pressure, the mistake for Salah’s goal against Liverpool, poor positioning, failing to stick a leg out and block shots.
Dier is just one paced
Everything with him is that oace
It’s not quick but it’s not slow
It’s just predictable

It's obviously when you play football somewhere in the world, so really anyone who has ever played football is world class myself included.

Now that one is sorted I reckon we should rehash the top four versus trophies debate, that's always a fun one.
That’s all well and good but can you have a winning mentality if you haven’t won anything? And do you need a winning mentality to win something?

He didn’t do that bad for a first season in the PL imo. Happy if we replace Dier with him and get A.N.Other as starter.

I think both he and Dier are substandard and not fit for purpose as central defenders in a back 4

They both did terribly because we conceded 63 league goals

Yes, really.

Ginola, Modric, Bale, Kane*, Walker, VDV, Davids.

*Kane extended with us when he could have gone anywhere had he been motivated to do so.

I’d also argue Verts and Alderweireld were as strong a CB pairing as existing in world football for a few years.

Ginola, Modric, Bale, Kane*, Walker, VDV, Davids.

*Kane extended with us when he could have gone anywhere had he been motivated to do so.

I’d also argue Verts and Alderweireld were as strong a CB pairing as existing in world football for a few years.

I said we have not bought a world class player since Klinsmann, I did not say no player has developed into a world class while at Spurs since then.

I said we have not bought a world class player since Klinsmann, I did not say no player has developed into a world class while at Spurs since then.

Outside those historic power houses or those with bottomless money, who has really purchased a ready made world class talent? Its as rare as rocking horse sh1t TBH. I think people lose sight of the club Spurs are and historically have been on large most of our existence

Back