• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

CL Qualification vs Cups - The Neverending Story

As cliche as it sounds, we honestly need to approach it 1 game at a time. Forget the title. If we find ourselves anywhere near it come the end of the season then great. Simple task, take each game as it comes and win. Individually we are capable of winning any game from our remaining fixtures.

Said it before but we are not (yet ) good enough to win the title, we should play each game meaning to win it ( that includes cup games) and see where we end up.

Thank GHod for some realistic summing up, we are STILL growing as a team and there are bound to be games when we fail to impress ( and last nights was one of them). It was a bad day at the office but we are still in there competing for a top four place ( anyone who REALLY thinks we are good enough to win the Prem is fooling themselves.

One last thing making 9 chances for the Cup game really gave us a advantage last night ;)

At the beginning of the season I think I said I would be happy to and expected to finish fifth given the amounts of money that were spent. I still think it will be tough, but am revising my expectations to top 4. Winning the league would be a huge overachievement. However, of all the top 4 teams currently, we're the only ones that haven't gone on a huge winning streak. We've probably hit top gear twice or thrice this season, so maybe we are due just such a run.

At the beginning of the season I think I said I would be happy to and expected to finish fifth given the amounts of money that were spent. I still think it will be tough, but am revising my expectations to top 4. Winning the league would be a huge overachievement. However, of all the top 4 teams currently, we're the only ones that haven't gone on a huge winning streak. We've probably hit top gear twice or thrice this season, so maybe we are due just such a run.

Well lets hope so to be honest i would take forth place and a cup win right now, no matter what some say winning a trophy will give our players a lift and make them see that they are winners. I read something the other week by Dier who said its important to win things and look back at your medals when you have finished playing ( or something along those lines) I honestly believe sometimes that there are fans who have never won anything at sport and do not relise the lift it gives you to go on and do more.

im not sure winning trophies gives you some kind of special ability to go on and win more (like leveling up a character in a computer game) its just that good/successful teams will go on and win more once they have won their first trophy, by way of being a good team.

im not sure winning trophies gives you some kind of special ability to go on and win more (like leveling up a character in a computer game) its just that good/successful teams will go on and win more once they have won their first trophy, by way of being a good team.

Pretty obvious that one mate, winning the first trophy is the hardest though and as yet we have not won one, we are good enough to do so but we have to take it serious.

No I don't think so either. What I do think it does though is perhaps make the players want to stay more as success is what they all want Sure some of this lot may leave for the money, but starting to win things will only make them think twice before moving on. Plus winning things will bring in much needed money........

I wouldn't bring up computer games with @parklane1 :eek:

images

Pretty obvious that one mate, winning the first trophy is the hardest though and as yet we have not won one, we are good enough to do so but we have to take it serious.

I don't thats true, I think that's just a bit of an old cliché - you'll win trophies when you're a good enough team to do so and/or get a favourable draw - If you're a genuinely good team you'll go on to win multiple trophies, if you're just a flash in the pan or got a bit lucky you'll fade away

I don't thats true, I think that's just a bit of an old cliché - you'll win trophies when you're a good enough team to do so and/or get a favourable draw - If you're a genuinely good team you'll go on to win multiple trophies, if you're just a flash in the pan or got a bit lucky you'll fade away

Sorry mate i am not sure what your point is to be honest.

But you'd still have a trophy though, right?

Sorry mate i am not sure what your point is to be honest.
I think the point @billyiddo is making, is that there's no reason to believe that the first trophy is just a hump to get over, other than a lot of people who advocate going for trophies saying so.

Looking at who has won trophies in this country lately, you have top teams who win a lot because they're top teams and then you have Leicester, Wigan, Portsmouth, Swansea, Bimingham, Boro, etc. I don't think there's anything to suggest that winning the first trophy was just a hump to any of those teams, or that any of them are more likely to win another one for having done so.

What is clear, looking at that list, is that the top 2 or 3 teams in the country keep winning pretty much everything.

I think the point @billyiddo is making, is that there's no reason to believe that the first trophy is just a hump to get over, other than a lot of people who advocate going for trophies saying so.

Looking at who has won trophies in this country lately, you have top teams who win a lot because they're top teams and then you have Leicester, Wigan, Portsmouth, Swansea, Bimingham, Boro, etc. I don't think there's anything to suggest that winning the first trophy was just a hump to any of those teams, or that any of them are more likely to win another one for having done so.

What is clear, looking at that list, is that the top 2 or 3 teams in the country keep winning pretty much everything.

I understand that mate, but we are a good/top team all we lack is our FIRST trophy.

We are now rated in the top four ( or at least top six ) teams in the country. What we are not yet are winners. So I agree with Park Lane that we need to win a trophy very very soon. If we don't, I can easily foresee the break up of a really promising team - with yet again our key players leaving.

At the end of their careers players want to look back at their winners medals not 2nd, 3rd or 4th place.

I think we have to win something in the next two years to prevent this happening.

I think trophies are like goals, yeah you might fluke one every now and then, but, they are an inevitable result of doing things the right way, our ultimate goal should always be to improve, if we keep improving, we'll win trophies

Any team can win a trophy, the real test is the second one. The one off teams will coast after it, the team with a winning mentality will kick on and win more.
You only need to look at the efl cup winners over the last few seasons and the way the PL has been defended recently too.

Back