• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Stellini - Acting Head Coach for a small part of the season

So when are we putting up the statue of this guy?

OK, I know inevitably he will have to draw/lose a match but at 6 wins out of 6 matches, his presence at the helm is at the very least welcome. He said he made the squad selections together with Conte but I find that hard to believe completely. Davies at LWB (last time was at the World Cup for Wales according to the commentators), Richarlison on the LEFT for Son, and no options in midfield so one of Skipp or Sarr was expected. The battle of the Emersons was entertaining and it was great to see ours dominating. Mostly sensible subs at the right moments, although not sure what future Perisic will have, especially if Destiny proves he can handle the pressure of the PL.

How is it 6 out of 6? Was Conte back for Leicester? (I missed that game, thankfully)
It's during his whole career, so including at Inter and where ever else the duo of Conte-Stellini has managed. According to the commentators of course.

So when are we putting up the statue of this guy?

OK, I know inevitably he will have to draw/lose a match but at 6 wins out of 6 matches, his presence at the helm is at the very least welcome. He said he made the squad selections together with Conte but I find that hard to believe completely. Davies at LWB (last time was at the World Cup for Wales according to the commentators), Richarlison on the LEFT for Son, and no options in midfield so one of Skipp or Sarr was expected. The battle of the Emersons was entertaining and it was great to see ours dominating. Mostly sensible subs at the right moments, although not sure what future Perisic will have, especially if Destiny proves he can handle the pressure of the PL.

Stellini said Conte was on the phone or text during the game with input. I think it's rather obvious he had a big say in the starting lineup.

Davies at LWB is new, but then again having Sessegnon injured and with being Doherty released it's a fairly new situation too. Think Davies has played some minutes there before at least before.

Richarlison for Son has been the obvious move for a while now. Was the same against Leicester earlier in the season.

Stellini has done well. The players have done well. But this is very much a Conte team playing Conte football and doing well. Now to do it again and then again with Conte back on the touchline too.

Stellini said Conte was on the phone or text during the game with input. I think it's rather obvious he had a big say in the starting lineup.

Davies at LWB is new, but then again having Sessegnon injured and with being Doherty released it's a fairly new situation too. Think Davies has played some minutes there before at least before.

Richarlison for Son has been the obvious move for a while now. Was the same against Leicester earlier in the season.

Stellini has done well. The players have done well. But this is very much a Conte team playing Conte football and doing well. Now to do it again and then again with Conte back on the touchline too.

I'd have conte up in the crowd getting a better look at what's going on in the game. Seem to have worked out a good way to communicate with stelini. At least for the first half.

To be fair to Conte, I doubt he's intentionally causing this. But I do have to wonder why we just seem to make the right decisions more often than not when he's not on the touchline.

Take benching Son. Most people could see the intrinsic logic of it - it takes him out of the firing line, it lets him come on late in the game against tiring legs when he might have more space, and it lets us play Richy, who is far better at contesting balls, winning headers, holding the ball up and being a general nuisance - which is good when starting games, as it sets the tempo.

But it took until now for us to do it again after that one time vs Leicester - after about 30 games of mostly horrendous form from Sonny, starting game in, game out.

Likewise with letting Kane drop deeper - it would beef up our battered midfield, draw defenders out with him and give us space to play into. But it's happened a lot more as Conte's become more hands off - start of the season, he was pretty isolated up front, and it showed in our play.

Since he still talks to Stellini and sets the team up + decides on subs, I can't truthfully say it's him being excluded that is leading to this. But I wonder if, as a result of his physical and mental travails, he's growing more comfortable with letting go a little and trying new things as opposed to rigidly sticking to a failing system, which we absolutely had until now.

Imagine the removed nature of watching it on TV allows him to make less emotional decisions also.

Can better see the shape and what's happening in game rather then have to analyse a tape during the week.

I think its definitely a Martin Jol when he was assistant thing. Stellini relaxes players, while Conte makes them uptight.

To be fair to Conte, I doubt he's intentionally causing this. But I do have to wonder why we just seem to make the right decisions more often than not when he's not on the touchline.

Take benching Son. Most people could see the intrinsic logic of it - it takes him out of the firing line, it lets him come on late in the game against tiring legs when he might have more space, and it lets us play Richy, who is far better at contesting balls, winning headers, holding the ball up and being a general nuisance - which is good when starting games, as it sets the tempo.

But it took until now for us to do it again after that one time vs Leicester - after about 30 games of mostly horrendous form from Sonny, starting game in, game out.

Likewise with letting Kane drop deeper - it would beef up our battered midfield, draw defenders out with him and give us space to play into. But it's happened a lot more as Conte's become more hands off - start of the season, he was pretty isolated up front, and it showed in our play.

Since he still talks to Stellini and sets the team up + decides on subs, I can't truthfully say it's him being excluded that is leading to this. But I wonder if, as a result of his physical and mental travails, he's growing more comfortable with letting go a little and trying new things as opposed to rigidly sticking to a failing system, which we absolutely had until now.

Alternatively his physical and mental travails have made him a less effective manager for a while, but hopefully he can return to his best. I don't think him being rigid was an issue last season.

I think its definitely a Martin Jol when he was assistant thing. Stellini relaxes players, while Conte makes them uptight.

Conte has proven himself over a rather extended period of time to be a brilliant manager. Getting a lot of great performances out of various players in that time.

We haven't seen that as much this season, but definitely saw that last season. I think we can still see the best of Conte for us.

Back