• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

When Lamela was playing I saw a lot of posts from people here saying that he needed to bulk up a bit and get stronger to make it in the PL.

Do people have the same opinion on Eriksen?

No he just needs to play deeper. He shouldnt be playing against full backs he should be playing were bentaleb was today in acres of space.

I agree with you in one respect Modric, we do need to be feeding the ball to Eriksen in space, but to keep him deep would limit his involvement and I honestly feel his ability to pick open a defence would be best utilised in the final third.

Today we saw on quite a few occasions Dembele and Paulinho receiving the ball in the middle of the pitch with time to turn and run at the Everton defence. Unfortunately neither of them had the ability to open Everton up and the ball was inevitably worked wide. Now imagine Eriksen being the player receiving the ball in that space and running at the opposition, we would have a player capable of passing it left or right, shooting or threading a pass through to the striker. We worked more like a 433 at times today but with just Paulinho and Dembele rotating around, Eriksen could play that role. Coutinho and Henderson both did it for Liverpool the other day and there is no reason we can't either.

He does need to bulk up though.

Modric looked a bit weak in his 1st season, he was ace after that experience, I fancy Eriksen to be the same

Certainly an interesting comparison.

If Eriksen wants to move to a deeper more central role like Modric I think he needs to go through a similar physical development. Although I think Modric was stronger when he arrived than Eriksen is now.

I see Eriksen (and Lamela) as more "final third" players and that although physical strength can always be helpful there are plenty of players in the PL playing those more advanced roles without being much stronger than Eriksen and Lamela are right now.

No he just needs to play deeper. He shouldnt be playing against full backs he should be playing were bentaleb was today in acres of space.

And you don't think he needs to be stronger physically to play that role?

Who would you compare him to in playing style in that deeper role? In terms of ability on the ball, but more importantly (for this discussion) strength and athleticism?

I'd leave Eriksen up the pitch, he's one of the few players we have who provides a goal threat. Have him as the Silva/Mata type, drifting in.

He needs a good run in the side and get a bit more tenacious. But he'll be alright imo.

Certainly an interesting comparison.

If Eriksen wants to move to a deeper more central role like Modric I think he needs to go through a similar physical development. Although I think Modric was stronger when he arrived than Eriksen is now.

I see Eriksen (and Lamela) as more "final third" players and that although physical strength can always be helpful there are plenty of players in the PL playing those more advanced roles without being much stronger than Eriksen and Lamela are right now.

And you don't think he needs to be stronger physically to play that role?

Who would you compare him to in playing style in that deeper role? In terms of ability on the ball, but more importantly (for this discussion) strength and athleticism?

I think he's better off playing deeper because of his lack of pace and strength. I dont think he can beat a man in the final third or hold off tackles in tight areas. He hasn't the pace to play out wide neither. He's gonna go missing playing as a number 10 or out wide cutting in. He be so much better with time and space anchoring our play ala Xavi or Modric.

I cant see him not developing into a central midfield player in the future wherever he ends up. Especially as that is where he's said he prefers playing.

I think he's better off playing deeper because of his lack of pace and strength. I dont think he can beat a man in the final third or hold off tackles in tight areas. He hasn't the pace to play out wide neither. He's gonna go missing playing as a number 10 or out wide cutting in. He be so much better with time and space anchoring our play ala Xavi or Modric.

I cant see him not developing into a central midfield player in the future wherever he ends up. Especially as that is where he's said he prefers playing.

Any comparisons for him in that deeper role other than a Barca superstar and Modric? Modric was much stronger and better defensively for us by the time he was a success as a central midfielder. We're talking the same Modric who was good enough defensively to partner Huddlestone in a 4-4-2 central midfield here.

Eriksen seems comparable to players like Mata and Silva in terms of pace and strength to me. Players who've done really well as more attacking players in the Premier League.

Yes, basically. Was outmuscled a lot today. He is tough, but needs to get stronger.

I thought he was OK against Everton and was unlucky to be subbed, particularly when you compare his performance to that of Paulinho and Lennon.

I've always seen Erikson as being weak and too easily muscled off the ball, but He also lacks pace. A real carthorse. Timid too, saw him jump off the ball when tackled more than once. He needs to swallow some concrete and harden up. Paulhino is a weak sister in this department too.

He can stroke a mean free kick - you won't ever see him go in on hard tackles. I bet if he did, he'd injure himself.

He's the lock picker, play opener and arrives late in the box to get in on the end of balls. And this is his first season in the BPL (Barclays Premier League) ! I think he's settling in nicely.

Originally Posted by Roland Beurre
Good to have someone who can take a corner that doesn't always hit the first man but often does, at last, though.

Fixed it for you.

Thank you. I think.

I have not noticed many of his corners hitting the first man. Most of them seem to be hit at pace and start dipping just as they get into the danger area. They don't seem to be aimed at anyone in particular; they are just rocketed into a dangerous area.

One of the reasons he might not be hitting the first man so much as previous corner takers did is because Bentaleb appears to have been given the role of standing on the near post with his hand on the shoulder of the first defender, and then, when the corner is taken, he more or less drags the defender out of the way.

As an aside, Kyle Walker's ability to hit the first defender when crossing is so astounding, I assume he practices it. I saw somebody on here carping about Lennon only having two crosses, one of which is the "stand it up for the big lad on the back stick", but I think Kyle could do with changing it up a bit sometimes, too.

Ditto Eriksen on corners (he said, trying to drag this back on topic). The odd back post floater might not go amiss.

will give him another season to adapt, but it looks like his physique and pace will be against him to begin with.
might be perfect for serie A where little men running with the ball is all the rage.

This site is so annoying! One quietish game where there were plenty worse than him and it's all "he's too slow, he can't tackle, too weak" ](*,)

He's not slow at all for GHod's sake, did you see him sprint past half of Swansea's team the other week? Everyone who isn't Kyle Walker gets labelled as slow on here, it's ridiculous. He's our most creative player, he makes things happen, he scores goals, he's still a kid, we're so lucky to have him. I hate you all.

Last edited:
will give him another season to adapt, but it looks like his physique and pace will be against him to begin with.
might be perfect for serie A where little men running with the ball is all the rage.

](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)

Tell that to Silva, Mata, Coutinho, Cazorla and Modric.

Professional's always talk about how the first two yards are always in the head and how a good first touch can take a player out the game. You don't need to be a sprinter nor 6ft plus to play this game. A suggestion, watch the guys off the ball movement and the positions he takes up in the final third. The guy has a brain and great technique, he can succeed in any league

Back