• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Benteke

Right on cue, you are back.

You seemed to have laid low during his magnificent run but then - on the first game in which he is unable to carry rest of the Villa team who were totally abysmal - you are back... :rolleyes:

He's been rubbish for the whole last 2 years, bar the last 2 months. As soon as he got his new contract 24 months ago, he stopped bothering. Now he wants a move, so he's putting it in again. It's exactly what Ade's spent his career doing. We'd be insane to make the same mistake again.

He's been rubbish for the whole last 2 years, bar the last 2 months. As soon as he got his new contract 24 months ago, he stopped bothering. Now he wants a move, so he's putting it in again. It's exactly what Ade's spent his career doing. We'd be insane to make the same mistake again.
Stopped bothering?.... I thought he got injured?

He made 28 and 32 appearances respectively in those two years.

Stop bothering my arse , he was rushed back from two bad injurys and still scored 26 goals in a brick Villa side. Under Lambert they were encouraged to sit back and defend so hardly created anything for him ( like yesterday) you just rather promote your favourites like Ings and slag off the others without reason.

He isn't worth £30m but the market is crazy

But he is a far better player than Gutter Boy gives him credit for

He would excel in a better side imo

This for me too. With cheaper striker options available, Kane a pretty set first choice player for next season and other areas where we need strengthening £32m seems like a lot of money. I mean we could get Ings for what we've reportedly bid and have £20m left over. Could make up the majority of what Schneiderlin would cost, or be enough to sign a couple of the attacking midfielders we've been linked with.

For the £30m for benteke we could get ings and berahino potentially or as BE says ings and put a shed load towards schendierlain

That's better value full stop and worth much more to us as a team

Townsend and Dembele alone would raise that much you'd have thought - not that we'll be in for a 30m second choice forward

The buyout clause doesn't mean that Villa will only accept 30mil (or wherever it was) I presume. If Villa are for selling him, and I think they are if they are releasing his buyout clause, then is it not market forces that will determine his fee? He may go for less and is certainly worth less.

I can only see him moving to one of Liverpool, Chelsea or us. If Chelsea want him well that's that. Liverpool we may have the edge on but even that is debatable. Yesterday's performance was a bad as I have seen him but that still wouldn't put me off him. I think a strikeforce of him and Kane would give us a bit of everything really.

(Edit: I don't seem to remember too many buyout clauses for PL players before :confused: )

I didn't think buy out clauses were enforceable in UK law. I thought the only country that they were was Spain but in no where near 100% on that

I didn't think buy out clauses were enforceable in UK law. I thought the only country that they were was Spain but in no where near 100% on that
Its not a buyout clause, its an fee at which his club will allow him to talk to others

I don't think it is enforceable legally, but its about the integrity of the contract and the club, not the legal basis

Lambert might be able to fill that role just fine for example. I know he's getting on a bit, but in his full season under Pochettino at Southampton that finished just a year ago he scored 13 and got 10 assists in 31 starts and 6 sub appearances. He would cost a fraction of what Benteke's buyout clause is. Quite a few potential targets from around Europe too, like the young Mitrovic at Anderlecht or much more experienced Llorente at Juventus. Both players we've been linked with in the past that would likely cost a lot less than Benteke.

You don't like the regression to the mean concept when applied to football, but if it seems to support your argument you'll throw it out there with a small enough sample size to make it completely irrelevant?

I don't know what impact Kane will have. As I've explicitly stated I want us to sign at the very least one striker this summer, I would prefer two. Just because I don't think Benteke at that cost is a "no brainer" or even good value doesn't mean that I think we should just rely on Kane...

Lambert and Llorente are past it. Microfiche is too inexperienced and huge gamble. Next? No one has Benteke's proven credentials in the EPL. He was sh1t yesterday and seemed to me to be completely distracted ( almost drugged!) as his performance was so out of character.

BTW, I was being facetious about the reversion to mean comment! Having said that, I don't expect Kane will reproduce his heroics of this season next season. A dip can certainly be anticipated. To anticipate another 30 plus goal season is fanciful imo. I therefore agree with your conclusion that we need at least one if not two new strikers.

Its not a buyout clause, its an fee at which his club will allow him to talk to others

I don't think it is enforceable legally, but its about the integrity of the contract and the club, not the legal basis

According to the article I posted from the guardian what the put in place are clauses that allow sides to speak at an agreed value and there lawful. It was suarezs argument against Liverpool

Another question for the people who would like to see us sign Benteke. Quite a few of you seem to also seem to be posters who would also like to see us play with wingers or in a more traditionally English way. Is the attraction of Benteke that you think he is suited to your preferred way of playing or do you see him as being a good fit for Poch's preferred system?

Not necessarily. Pochs preferred 4231 system with inverted wingers, necessiates speedy overlapping full backs to provide the width and put in crosses. If Walker could learn to cross like Dier we would have another strong weapon at our disposal with finishers like Kane and Benteke in the team.

As I said earlier, I would prefer to play two up top against the lesser teams we traditionally struggle against at home. Here we don't need two DMs imo.

Back