• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Benteke

Depends on sample sizes

80 games for the 1 in 2 striker (round numbers)

And career to date for the other

Depends on whether they rely on pace or not

Neither relies on pace

Couldn't be less relevant.

Disagree about the language piece as its a variable around being able to communicate with the team

Disagree about the language piece as its a variable around being able to communicate with the team

If a footballer can't pick up square, back, clear, time, left, right, keeper's etc in the space of a few weeks then they're too dumb to play for us anyway.

Benteke's had one good season in the Premier League - that's precisely why we need to rely on more than just looking at him and saying "he can probably do the job".

For your benefit, a list of players that had a stand out season who would have been a waste of money:

Benni McCarthy
Andrew Johnson
Kevin Phillips
Roque Santa Cruz
Michael Ricketts
Andy Carroll

That's why you don't spend £30M on a player who has had one good season - any old ****e can have one good season. If he has another like his first here then we can consider spending that kind of money.

And for every dud there are many more that have had one good season and continued to have good careers at the highest level.

What would be madness, would be to go into the second half of the season with just two reconised strikers ( I am discounting Ade) and one of them in a crisis. We desperately need another CF.

And for every dud there are many more that have had one good season and continued to have good careers at the highest level.

What would be madness, would be to go into the second half of the season with just two reconised strikers ( I am discounting Ade) and one of them in a crisis. We desperately need another CF.

I agree, but we can't pay proven, will definitely work money for a player who has shown no more than those listed. If we can get him for £15M + some add ons then I think he's equivalent to a lot of the other names.

You know as well as I do they are fans who think stats are the holy bible.

I don't think there are - not on this site.

I count myself as someone who prefers the use of stats to back up an opinion to "because I said so" or "because that's how football was in the 80s and I don't see why it should change" though if that's what you're referring to.

Unless you're a club that can buy ready made, world class players, then surely all tranfers are a gamble? For me, the biggest factor is age, due to re-sale value. We should never go for a Soldado type deal again, because if it doesn't work out, then you're lumbered with a 30 year old whose stock is low and worth f**k all. Using Carroll as an example, he was a poor buy for Liverpool, but at least they got £15m back for him.

Saying all that, I think we should go for Ings as a low-risk, cheap buy.

Good return because he cost peanuts - my point was that if we'd bought him the summer after he scored 40 or so goals we'd have been more than disappointed.

Not sure about that.....

He scored 35 goals for Sunderland in season 97-98.

The following season he got 25 goals despite missing 4 months of the season injured (and 23 of those were in the league).

He then got 30 goals the following season, winning him the PL golden boot and also the European golden boot.

Not sure about that.....

The following season he got 25 goals despite missing 4 months of the season injured (and 23 of those were in the league).

He then got 30 goals the following season, winning him the PL golden boot and also the European golden boot.

I would take that return for a "one season wonder" any day! Did he really score 90 goals over the three following seasons? If so, WOW. What would we give for a striker like that today!

I agree, but we can't pay proven, will definitely work money for a player who has shown no more than those listed. If we can get him for £15M + some add ons then I think he's equivalent to a lot of the other names.

This reminds me of the debate we were having on here in the January window a few seasons back. Iirc, we were in the Chamions League that year and at the time were sitting pretty in third and looking set fair to qualify again.

I wanted us to splash out on a proven striker to ensure we crossed the line. Others said, no wait for the stadium to be built. We brought in Saha for nothing. Failed to qualify and have been in a negative spiral ever since.

Good centre forwards don't come cheap. We desperately need one now.

Not sure about that.....

Really? That surprises me.

I seem to remember him going very quiet very quickly.

Not sure about that.....

Really? That surprises me.

I seem to remember him going very quiet very quickly.
Good use of stats to back up a point though ;)

Are people really advocating spending £30m on someone to sit on the bench in case Harry gets injured? I we spend that on a striker he has to play so what happens to Harry? If it's for back up what's wrong with an older pro who knows the game and is willing to bide his time.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

It would be a gamble for us to pin our hopes on Kane after one breakout season, who knows what lies ahead for him.

The amount of games we're likely to play for the coming seasons, as well as Kanes ability to play several roles means we can accomodate another top striker, imv

Where is the speed?

I really don't like the idea of Kane and Benteke.

It would be like playing Sheringham with Heskey; rather than Sheringham with a Shearer/Klinsmann and Heskey with an Owen.

Shearer wasn't quick was he? I certainly wouldn't of considered him any quicker than Benteke...

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

Back