• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Benteke

soooooo was we even in for him or was we just being used to get a wage increase?

I believe we liked him but not at that price. I further believe we never put a serious bid in. As much of a smokescreen as we were for him/his agent to get him pay rise, he could equally have been a smokescreen we were happy to hide behind as we went about other business. I personally really liked the idea of him being at Spurs, so for me I'm disappointed. Having said that, I wouldn't disagree that 25mill is too much. There again, I think it's too much for Soldado too, so I might not be the best gauge. We all know we need another striker, but I still have to look at Adebayor and say that with a full pre-season behind him and perhaps some faith from management (I don't know if there is/isn't any) he could yet have a great season. I await the flames for that one from people generally ;-) !

Looking around, right now I'm simply not sure who's worth the major money. David Villa would've been so perfect, but alas, we are Tottenham so of course the Armada sailed in to save him!!!!! I wonder if it's going to come down to relationships and sweetners and Madrid...perhaps they want to guarantee Bale is theirs when the time comes that he leaves? And even so, that leaves Higuain or Benzema. No way is Benzema going anywhere. Higuain is overrated IMO. Who knows...

It's interesting that so many of our fans think we need a big, strong, back to goal striker to play in a 4-3-3. We don't IF we are looking to play a 4-3-3 and not a 4-5-1. We need a forward who doesn't play with their back to goal, but one who has sharp movement, can run onto through balls and create something from nothing themselves. In my opinion a lot of Spurs fans may be disappointed this year because we may not even sign a striker if AVB feels like that Gareth Bale can play that "Messi" role.

I certainly think he could with the right players either side of him, but realistically I do think we will go for a forward but it will be more in the Eto'o mould than a Drogba. Either way we still need another wide forward, probably a left sided one if AVB is going to play the wide men inverted.

Good, interesting post, makes a lot of sense.

I think AVB certainly wants options.
An Eto'o would be superb...they're rare and expensive sadly. Your last comment makes me wonder about the Chadli rumors, or perhaps more pointedly, whether Bernard is actually the man we're after.
I think he would most certainly have signed Benteke if the price had been right, but even a fan of his such as I has to admit that 25 mill was silly really.

Every time it seems we get rejected most on here suddenly claim we wasn't that interested in the first place:lol:

Anyway this is bad news although i've said throughout that i think we'll end up with Osvaldo (altough i thought we had a good chance with Benteke). I'd rather we take a risk on a random unknown striker than Osvaldo tbh.

Every time it seems we get rejected most on here suddenly claim we wasn't that interested in the first place:lol:

Anyway this is bad news although i've said throughout that i think we'll end up with Osvaldo (altough i thought we had a good chance with Benteke). I'd rather we take a risk on a random unknown striker than Osvaldo tbh.

What else can we believe? :lol: I'm afraid to ask for the truth! Which is likely that we would not pay 25 mill for Benteke. I must admit, I see the pint of that when you look at Jovetic's fee. But yeah, I wanted him in...oh well...

If you were the finance director at Villa and you were asked to authorise a new contract for an asset valued at £25M, what do you think your response would be for a request of a £0 release fee if Villa are relegated?

I'd tell them to tinkle off. But then I wouldn't be dumb enough to put a £25M price tag on a £10-15M asset.

Yep just anyone now for me, obviously someone the club has scouted but even if we signed someone and it did not work out i could say we tried. This sort of going into the new season as we are and thinking we might get away with it seems like such a negative thing by the club and will make it hard for me to get excited for the coming season.

I'd take osvaldo. He comes with baggage but has a nice touch.

Of all the possible outcomes of this little 'saga', this one never entered my mind.

Right then, back to Leandro?

How many of those claimed we were all over the player in the first place?

We are a big fan group with lots of different opinions, very few of them come from a majority.

By putting in a transfer request suddenly and withdrawing it just a few days later only shows Benteke to be mentally weak and unable to make the right decisions. Don't think he would handle the pressure at Spurs or any other big clubs. Happy we didn't sign him. But not sure we were even interested in him as only the media kept linking us with him.

By putting in a transfer request suddenly and withdrawing it just a few days later only shows Benteke to be mentally weak and unable to make the right decisions. Don't think he would handle the pressure at Spurs or any other big clubs. Happy we didn't sign him. But not sure we were even interested in him as only the media kept linking us with him.

Far from it: it shows him to be exceptionally single minded in a devious sort of way: prepared to do anything (including putting in a transfer request) in pursuit of his ultimate aim, which was to get a new contract. I don't think he ever wanted to join us, and had no use for us other than as an imaginary 'stalking horse' to force Villa into agreeing to his wage demands.

bit harsh, all he's done is write a letter and he's doubled his money

wish I could get a raise so easily

bit harsh, all he's done is write a letter and he's doubled his money

wish I could get a raise so easily

I interviewed for a job I didn't want once and got my existing employer to match the salary - 50% raise. You just need to be prepared to go through with it if they call your bluff.

He probably felt insulted by the low value we put on him.

I doubt it very much. If anything, it would have made it more attractive to him.
The less you spend on a fee, the more the salary is likely to be.
And a big tag is just an added pressure, I doubt if any player likes a big fee attached to him.

He would have wanted to stay all along and probably got his agent to use clubs like us as leverage, well played Benteke.

57 pages, time to lock thread at least till January.

Back