• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Benteke

What's to say he shouldn't be in the same bracket as Damiao? He's proven he can do it in the PL, and is physically equipped to be an absolute beast....

I'm not one to say that at least. I haven't watched either player enough to judge their talent.

My point is just that if we're talking a £15m+ transfer fee then there are other very exciting possibilities too and saying that signing him is a no brainer becomes inaccurate.

I'm not one to say that at least. I haven't watched either player enough to judge their talent.

My point is just that if we're talking a £15m+ transfer fee then there are other very exciting possibilities too and saying that signing him is a no brainer becomes inaccurate.

some names?

Having watched him a bit more closely since the christmas period, I think I would be happy with him as a signing for us. I definitely think he would fit quite well with Defoe and could quite easily play up top on his own too. With our position in the league plus Dembele/Vertonghen being at the club, attracting him wouldn't be a problem. I think that Villa would sell even if they don't go down and I think they could struggle to get more than around £12.5m, especially if the player really wants to go.

I think he has scored 14 for Villa, more often than not on his own up top too. In that team, that is a bloody good record to my mind.

some names?

I've already mentioned Damiao of course.

Negredo is likely going to be available, possibly even cheaper than this window considering that their financial problems are likely to continue.

David Villa would always be a long shot and unlikely, but if we get in the CL it wouldn't be completely impossible.

We have been linked with Jackson Martinez from Porto in the past, I have only seen highlights from him, but he keeps scoring and would be a possibility.

Of course there's Doumbia, seems to be highly rated by some.

Lewandowski probably isn't going to happen despite him being linked to us, but again, with CL it might not be completely impossible if he wants to play in England.

Soldado is another one we've been linked with in the past.

We could possibly make a move for Michu if we think he's good enough.

I think Benteke is the best option there when you consider age, current/potential ability, he's already playing in this league, speaks the language, has two compatriots here and could be had for a good price if Villa go down.

I imagine we will draw up a list of all strikers who are getting relegated and in the last year of their contract and in financial difficulty and under 25 and go for them on August 27th

should go all out, 20-25m. This guy will be Europe´s no 1 striker in a few years

im torn with this guy

i think he will be either the new Drogba or the new Heskey. Hopefully he stays at Villa one more season and then we can see how he fares once he is no longer an unknown

im torn with this guy

i think he will be either the new Drogba or the new Heskey. Hopefully he stays at Villa one more season and then we can see how he fares once he is no longer an unknown

Well, he can obviously end up anywhere in between on the rather long continuum that stretches from Drogba to Heskey. If he ends up proving himself anywhere near either end of that during another season at Villa either we won't want him or we won't get him though.

im torn with this guy

One more season like the current one and he will be £20m+! This summer I reckon £15m would do it

It's a gamble we will have to take. Wait another year where potentially he performs EVEN better and is wanted by some top clubs? Or buy him now in the summer and hope he can perform EVEN better surrounded by better players.

No way he'll go for anything less than £20 million this summer, probably in the upper 20s as well.

It's a gamble we can't afford to take IMO.

No way he'll go for anything less than £20 million this summer, probably in the upper 20s as well.

It's a gamble we can't afford to take IMO.

Upper 20s?!?!? Not a chance! £15m with a few million add-ons tops. Once you get past £20m, you're looking for someone proven over a few years and with a bit of international experience as well. Benteke looks good but has done it for one season only.

also if we really want 3 players this summer (eg a CF, verstaile forward and CM), we're going to need to be shopping a bit more frugally

Upper 20s?!?!? Not a chance! £15m with a few million add-ons tops. Once you get past £20m, you're looking for someone proven over a few years and with a bit of international experience as well. Benteke looks good but has done it for one season only.

also if we really want 3 players this summer (eg a CF, verstaile forward and CM), we're going to need to be shopping a bit more frugally

Which is exactly why we shouldn't buy Benteke. Villa have no reason to sell below 20m.

Young, three years left on his contract and his goals have kept Villa up.

Last edited:
When was the last time we bought a player that was flavour of the month? Maybe Dembele? I am trying to think of others..

I think he'd be great for us. I'm not saying he will be the next Drogba, but he's certainly a lot better than Darren Bent and Emile fudging Heskey as I've seen people compare him to. What's Heskey's record total in a season? 9?

Back