• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ched Evans

Very different discussion to the one about not putting others at risk, not sure this is the place for that discussion as it will go off topic very soon.

Ok. Since we're talking extreme examples. If it was a convicted pedophile, and the club was Spurs. You would? And if your response is that you wouldn't be ok with it and voice your unhappiness. What about the arguments put forward by you and others in this thread? What would make them invalid in that situation, but not this one?

I've spent a good 20 minutes thinking about this and honestly, I dont know. As a fan I personally would consider petitioning the club not to do it (and not through a ridiculous petition website like change.org), and I would absolutely consider boycotting the club while that person played for us. This is exactly what I feel Oldham fans should consider doing, which is why I stated I give the petition credence if it was of season ticket holders or members of their supporters trust. Unfortunately I don't believe it is, but I would be very interested to see what Oldham fans think.

If I chose to I would feel justified in lobbying the Spurs in that situation as I am a fan and I spend money on them. If it were another club I don't think I would feel justified in the same way, even for a more serious crime.

The irony is that Lee Hughes killed someone while drunk driving and upon his release from prison in 2007 signed for Oldham, and he is still playing professional football today. Was there a similar campaign against him? If not, should there have been?

"To deprive a human being of the right to work in their chosen profession should be a decision taken by a judicial system that dispassionately balances the rights of the individual against that of the society as a whole,"

Baring in mind the girls testimony and other evidence (lack of) this conviction is actually based on him saying that he had penetrative intercourse with her... Ie if he turned around and said that... He was to drunk and can't remember if they had intercourse then he couldn't be convicted.

He got five years so he hasn't done his time yet.

I would not be prepared to pay a rapists wages even after they had seen out their sentence.

So many of you are so wrong about this IMO.

Rape is a serious crime, as is murder, GBH, armed robbery and aggravated burglary. The victims suffer the consequences for life. The punishment ie sentence given May or may not reflect the severity of the crime but the fact of the matter is that I wouldn't employ anyone who has committed one of the above crimes. They have been punished. They have done their time. But when did it become obligatory for a criminal to be treated the same as a law abiding citizen just because they have already been punished for it??

My view on Evans is that as things stand he is a convicted rapist - that much is fact. He is appealing the original verdict and until the appeal is over NO football club should go anywhere near him. If he overturns the original verdict then I would expect him to be compensated accordingly and then he can devote his time and energy to football. In the meantime, he should stick to the appeal.

He is a convicted rapist. And his victim deserves the basic courtesy of him not being a star again. Simples. He can go work out of the limelight somewhere while she has to rebuild her life after suffering a horrific crime. Eff the technicalities of the case, he was convicted.

He is a convicted rapist. And his victim deserves the basic courtesy of him not being a star again. Simples. He can go work out of the limelight somewhere while she has to rebuild her life after suffering a horrific crime. Eff the technicalities of the case, he was convicted.

A star? Without googling, how many Oldham players can you name?

A star? Without googling, how many Oldham players can you name?

Any professional footballer is a star in some sense as relative as the term is. This one in particular has had so much media coverage his each performance will be talked about.

After reading NWDW I cannot believe he was convicted in this case to begin with Eapecially as McDonald was found innocent anyways these "online petitions" are a joke.

Oldham should meet with supporters and test the true waters I guarantee 99% of those 26k signatures are not oldham supporters just people who stand firmly against Evans or other convicted felons. Everyone is entitled to their own view on how and where convicted felons should be reintegrated into society and I get that but personally don't think they should stick their nose in where it doesn't belong. I mean it is ultimately up to individual employers who they are willing to hire.

I really feel for Evans he was convicted of a heinous crime on very very dicey circumstances and now he is getting bullied out of getting on with his life by people with alterior motives

So many of you are so wrong about this IMO.

Rape is a serious crime, as is murder, GBH, armed robbery and aggravated burglary. The victims suffer the consequences for life. The punishment ie sentence given May or may not reflect the severity of the crime but the fact of the matter is that I wouldn't employ anyone who has committed one of the above crimes. They have been punished. They have done their time. But when did it become obligatory for a criminal to be treated the same as a law abiding citizen just because they have already been punished for it??

My view on Evans is that as things stand he is a convicted rapist - that much is fact. He is appealing the original verdict and until the appeal is over NO football club should go anywhere near him. If he overturns the original verdict then I would expect him to be compensated accordingly and then he can devote his time and energy to football. In the meantime, he should stick to the appeal.

So you wouldn't employ anyone who has committed any of those crimes in any field? If that's the case, why not just execute them and be done with it?

I am a firm believer in the system that the courts get to punish you and once you have served your time you are the same as any other citizen. If you don't agree then you might as well never let them out of prison. This is why I think this campaign against him is nothing to do with football, but simply the view that he hasn't been sufficiently punished.

I actually have no problem with you as an employer choosing not to hire a ex-con, employers should have as much freedom as possible when choosing who they should and shouldn't hire. However, if an employer would like to hire that person they should be free to do so.

Do you think Lee Hughes should never have been allowed to play football again either?

I read over someone's shoulder on the train today a headline - Footballer Rapist is vile but its down to the judicial system to judge the player no twitter....or something along those lines.

That's the side where I sit.

thats the thing for me, if the system didn't consider him rehabilitated and ready and able for reintegration he should still be in prison

you have to give people a second chance, if you couldn't employ anyone with a criminal record unemployment in this country would be massive

Any professional footballer is a star in some sense as relative as the term is. This one in particular has had so much media coverage his each performance will be talked about.

For about 4 games and then the circus will move on. As has been said before, how much attention does Lee Hughes get now?

thats the thing for me, if the system didn't consider him rehabilitated and ready and able for reintegration he should still be in prison

you have to give people a second chance, if you couldn't employ anyone with a criminal record unemployment in this country would be massive

No the prison service is overcrowded and costly so they get them out there as soon as possible under licence and get them to continue their rehabilitation where its not costing them money.
Evans refused to accept he's anything wrong. He's hardly rehabilitated. He would do the same thing again if he could get away with it.

Also on a lighter note I think it would be some farce to see a footballer on the sex offenders register walking out onto a football pitch holding the hand of one of the 11 mascots they insist on these days.

Wow, that's a statement and half

Well if he did it once (that we know of) and doesnt think he did anything wrong.

His mate phoned him as he was bring the girl to the hotel (saying he had got a girl) and then evans showed up watched him have sex. Then later he had sex with her as his brother and some other guy watched through a window. That doesnt not sound like a once off thing. Sounds like they regularly pick up drunk girls and have some sort of group sex with them.

Well if he did it once (that we know of) and doesnt think he did anything wrong.

His mate phoned him as he was bring the girl to the hotel (saying he had got a girl) and then evans showed up watched him have sex. Then later he had sex with her as his brother and some other guy watched through a window. That doesnt not sound like a once off thing. Sounds like they regularly pick up drunk girls and have some sort of group sex with them.

What a ridiculous inference from the case. I'm not going to defend what he did, but you're just making things up with no evidence.

If you'd like to know the details of the case, they are presented here https://www.crimeline.info/case/r-v-ched-evans-chedwyn-evans. Here's the quote from that page as to Evans (the applicant) version of the story

When he arrived at the room it was immediately apparent to him that McDonald and the complainant were engaged in enthusiastic consensual sex. When she was asked if the applicant could join in, the complainant clearly replied "Yes". McDonald stopped. The complainant asked the applicant to perform oral sex on her. He did so and then they had sexual intercourse. Throughout all the activities with him she was enthusiastic, wide awake and she consented to everything that happened. He agreed that he had left the hotel using the fire exit.

Clearly the jury didn't see it that way, and I make a point never to complain about the verdict a jury reaches because they always hear the evidence and consider the arguments much more thoroughly than internet warriors.

Back