• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cheatski are still scum

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896...adium-director-has-cheeky-dig-at-tottenham-in

So that will take Abramovich's spending to over £4billion on buying bling for the Russian lottery winners :rolleyes:

player%20expenditure%202000%202016%20mkii_zpswkehdbek.png

Director of Chelsea's stadium project said:
Here we are, 112 years into our history trying to rebuild our stadium for the fifth time on our own site, around our own pitch. There are 13 London clubs, this is the only one that has never moved home ground and never will move home ground.
I could have sworn they tried to move to Battersea and Earls Court?
Director of Chelsea's stadium project said:
There is no date yet. It will be the finest stadium in Stamford Bridge since the last one, the one before that and the one we all grew up in.
I think any neutral would say that their stadium in the 90s was terrible. But, as it was the only one in Stamford Bridge, I suppose it was the finest!

general-view-of-stamford-bridge-home-of-chelsea-fc-circa-1992-in-picture-id495461368

I could have sworn they tried to move to Battersea and Earls Court?
I think any neutral would say that their stadium in the 90s was terrible. But, as it was the only one in Stamford Bridge, I suppose it was the finest!

general-view-of-stamford-bridge-home-of-chelsea-fc-circa-1992-in-picture-id495461368

It was a brickhole, i remember all the disabled cars on the grass behind the goals.

Mike Atherton has an interesting piece that reflects on terry's guard of dishonour.

Perfect send-offs are spontaneous, not demanded like John Terry’s

Sports do not build character, they reveal it. The line from the American sportswriter Heywood Broun is so ancient and well known that hesitation precedes repetition - although John Terry’s stage-managed send off from Chelsea at the weekend surely merits an unveiling one more time.

In his hunt for the revelation of character, Broun would have been right at home at Stamford Bridge on Sunday. By “negotiation” is the description of how Terry’s 26th-minute send off was sought with his manager and other complicit parties. Negotiation is not quite demanding a respectful exit, but it is a long way from it being conferred, which is how such farewells should be orchestrated. The choreography reduced a potentially meaningful ending to meaningless mush.

A guard of honour, given at the fall of a wicket as the recipient walks to the crease for the last time, has become quite common in cricket. Given that it is bestowed by the opposition, rather than demanded by the recipient, it has lost none of its meaning. Most recently, Misbah-ul-Haq and Younus Khan, fine captain and great batsman, were given this honour in the Caribbean, ahead of their final innings in international cricket. It reflected the standing in which they were held by opponents, and, by implication, the game and its followers.

It is this combination of spontaneity and the generosity of others that gives these moments their power and beauty. When John Arlott, the great commentator, passed the microphone for the last time (“and after Trevor Bailey it will be Christopher Martin-Jenkins...”), the whole of Lord’s stopped and applauded a man who had never scored a first-class run, nor taken a first-class wicket. His humility, passing over the moment of his retreat from public life, came as no surprise.

When we presented a guard of honour for dingdongie Bird at Lord’s in 1996, as he walked to the middle for the last time as an umpire, we hadn’t planned it, but it felt right. His umpiring career captured something of the essence of the game. Tears flowed - although he dried his eyes quickly enough to give me out leg-before for nought shortly afterwards.

The first time I remember the England team standing in guard of honour was for two old foes, Curtly Ambrose and Courtney Walsh, at the Oval in 2000. They had terrorised a generation of England batsman and our respect was not only for the wickets they had taken, and the thought that they might not take many more, but because we recognised two warriors who had given their all for their team. Even then we could see the burden they were carrying and their defeat rendered their efforts even more heroic and poignant.

The departure of Xabi Alonso, the midfield playmaker, on the same weekend as Terry, showed the beautiful game in its best light. Alonso’s substitution in the 82nd minute and the outpouring of emotion that followed, from his own players, the fans and, especially, Carlo Ancelotti, with whom he remained in embrace for a lengthy period, was strengthened by the apparent spontaneity of it. Respect conferred rather than demanded.

Watching this, it was easy to think back to the superb interview that Alonso gave to Matt dingdonginson in these pages last week, in which his humility shone through. One quote, in the context of his farewell, stood out: “My job? To be a solution for my team-mates. I wasn’t going to be the player to dribble past an opponent and strike from 20 yards. For the ones I could, I could make the job easier. My idea was never about my game individually. I was always about the collective. If I do this, how do I help the team?” Actions not words are the measure of a man, but Alonso’s matched up.

Posterity is likely to judge Alonso and Terry, in their different footballing ways, as among the best in class. It will also likely confirm Broun’s notion that sport unveils character across the spectrum, from the self-aware to the self-obsessed, and that such biodiversity is the very essence of sport’s charm and continuing fascination. “Posterity is as likely to be as wrong as anyone else,” was another line from the quotable Broun, although not, one suspects, in this instance.

“I don’t know for sure but there is a lot of attention in this moment,” Conte said. “Sometimes I think it could be tiredness and I don’t think – and I repeat – if my player dived he did it with the real intention to do this.

“We are at the end of the season and a lot of players are tired and then there is a lot of pressure.

“For sure it is not a good situation to dive, it is true. But I repeat Moses is an honest player and if there was this situation he was tired and he didn’t want to cheat the referee.”

“I don’t know for sure but there is a lot of attention in this moment,” Conte said. “Sometimes I think it could be tiredness and I don’t think – and I repeat – if my player dived he did it with the real intention to do this.

“We are at the end of the season and a lot of players are tired and then there is a lot of pressure.

“For sure it is not a good situation to dive, it is true. But I repeat Moses is an honest player and if there was this situation he was tired and he didn’t want to cheat the referee.”
Spoken like a true conte.

Why couldn't that happen 2 months ago?
Rather lucky with the timing of that injury, weren't they? It might also have the unwanted side effect of removing him from Real's summer shopping list.

I wonder if any of the Spurs boys were involved in the incident :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back