• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Champions League 23/24

Exactly the reason I don't want them to progress in any competition. The thought of them winning the CL is, well I don't want to think of it.
Get them knocked out ASAP.
If we can't make 4th that's our problem.
Not a chance they are winning it, they won't get much further if they draw one of the big guns
The constant lack of injuries they seem to have is unreal, yes they had martinelli out but the defensive core and midfield are ever presents this season, it's unreal when every other team has been decimated

Not a chance they are winning it, they won't get much further if they draw one of the big guns
The constant lack of injuries they seem to have is unreal, yes they had martinelli out but the defensive core and midfield are ever presents this season, it's unreal when every other team has been decimated
Hope this one doesn’t come back to haunt you (and us) in May… :D

Italy (16.571) and Germany (15.500) currently lead the coefficient rankings and sit in the two spots that will secure an extra place in next season's Champions League.
England (14.875) is in third place ahead of France (14.416) and Spain (13.687).
With France only having three teams left in European competition it looks like being a three-way battle between Italy, Germany and England for the two top places.
Italy currently have five teams remaining in Europe - Inter Milan (CL), Atalanta (EL), AC Milan (EL), Roma (EL) and Fiorentina (ECL) – while Germany have four - Bayern Munich (CL), Borussia Dortmund (CL), Bayer Leverkusen (EL) and Freiburg (EL).

There are six English teams remaining but that number could soon be reduced.

WHAT IS THE COEFFICIENT RANKING?​

The coefficient rankings are determined by points gained from clubs across the current season’s UEFA Champions League, UEFA Europa League and UEFA Europa Conference League.
Teams get coefficient points for winning games and reaching different stages of the competitions.
For example, a match win in any of the three European competitions at any stage after qualifying is worth two points and a draw is worth one point.
Teams that make the last 16 of the Champions League get five bonus points, and then one more point for each further round. Teams in the Europa League get one bonus point for each round from the last 16, and in the Conference League there is one bonus point on offer for reaching the semi-final and final.
The total amount of coefficient points gained by clubs from a league are then added together and that score is divided by the number of clubs that league has in Europe in the season.
The Premier League has had eight clubs in Europe this season and has a total of 119 coefficient points. Therefore the coefficient average is currently 14.875 (119 ÷ 8).

WHAT IS THE COEFFICIENT RANKING?​

The coefficient rankings are determined by points gained from clubs across the current season’s UEFA Champions League, UEFA Europa League and UEFA Europa Conference League.
Teams get coefficient points for winning games and reaching different stages of the competitions.
For example, a match win in any of the three European competitions at any stage after qualifying is worth two points and a draw is worth one point.
Teams that make the last 16 of the Champions League get five bonus points, and then one more point for each further round. Teams in the Europa League get one bonus point for each round from the last 16, and in the Conference League there is one bonus point on offer for reaching the semi-final and final.
The total amount of coefficient points gained by clubs from a league are then added together and that score is divided by the number of clubs that league has in Europe in the season.
The Premier League has had eight clubs in Europe this season and has a total of 119 coefficient points. Therefore the coefficient average is currently 14.875 (119 ÷ 8).
So in that regard it's actually a disadvantage to have a lot of teams in Europe.

So Arteta insulted the Porto managers dead relative during the game last night, classy fella.

So in that regard it's actually a disadvantage to have a lot of teams in Europe.
It depends. If your teams are strong, then it's not. United and the barcodes not even making it to EL is a bit of an aberration. Typically all English teams make it out of the group stages, where the majority of points are won. If they had gotten just a win more in the group stage and made it to the EL knockout, we'd have a coefficient of 16.000 above Germany's 15.500. And that's assuming the had gotten eliminated right away with two losses each. If you assume that they would have gotten some points in the first KO round and one of the two progressed to the next round and our coefficient would be closer to Italy's.

After the Villa game I'm a bit torn now whether I want England to finish with the second highest coefficient. If we truly are in pole position for 4th, I'd rather Villa don't get the extra CL boost, especially given their precarious financial situation vis-a-vis PSR/FFP. On the other hand, getting a 5th spot eases the pressure on us a bit and one CL season probably won't be enough for Villa to make any serious progress. I'll be rootin for the English teams for now, but if we go 4-5 pts clear of Villa at some point, I'll be rooting the other way. :cool:

Arsenal don’t play until Easter when they go to City. Let’s just hope the break interrupts their rhythm and City don’t pick up any more injuries as Ederson got injured against Liverpool. If they go there and get a result you’d have to make them favourites for the title.

Well, there's Dortmund shoving aside Neinhoven and making fifth place qualification even more unlikelier.

This Atleti-Inter tie is a pretty gripping affair. Love to know the financial details behind Atleti taking over this new stadium. Will never be one of our favourite places but the atmosphere there is cracking. Anyone else think Diego Simeone looks like a younger Tom Waits? Probably conducts training to the sounds of 16 Shells From A Thirty-Ought-Six.

Well, there's Dortmund shoving aside Neinhoven and making fifth place qualification even more unlikelier.

This Atleti-Inter tie is a pretty gripping affair. Love to know the financial details behind Atleti taking over this new stadium. Will never be one of our favourite places but the atmosphere there is cracking. Anyone else think Diego Simeone looks like a younger Tom Waits? Probably conducts training to the sounds of 16 Shells From A Thirty-Ought-Six.
Depay has made a big impact off the bench.

Looks like we're depending on West Ham to get England that 5th spot. We pretty much need to finish 4th.

Looks like we're depending on West Ham to get England that 5th spot. We pretty much need to finish 4th.
Good, it’s the way it should be, I don’t want to be relying on others. If we finish 5th I’d be totally fine with being in the Europa League if that’s how it turns out. I liked what Ange said about it before Villa, CL isn’t the be all and end all for a one off season, just show progression yoy.

Last edited:
Back