• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Chairman's message

That's negligible
Over the remaining 90 odd years of the lease that is £900m to £1.35b (and I would imagine the losses will only increase as the stadium dates and upkeep becomes more expensive.

Giving it to West Ham and keeping a certain number of dates free for 'community use' that they pay no fee for is likely to look like a good idea at some point in the future IMO. Ideally they would instead look to sell on the land but the 90 years West Ham have remaining on the lease makes that nigh on impossible.

100% agree especially on overall event and spectacle and guesstimate revenue in tourism etc it would have done. But there are trade offs that countries know will be long term losses which includes the stadia and venues. No one will be looking at the London stadium and thinking its overly shocking that it loses 10m IMO
I disagree. £10m to £15m a year (that will probably be £15m to £20m in a decade and £20m to £30m in two decades, and so on) could make a significant difference to Newham's public services

All Olympic sites lose money though globally, that's part of the trade off of bidding and hosting them. Its always part of the so called "legacy".
I'm not sure they lose significant money right through 99 years after the event. The stadium build costs are all now sunken costs. There is a simple way to avoid the future costs and that is to get rid of the stadium. It actually makes massive financial sense now due to the deal being done being such a bad one previously.

I don't think that is true. Most Hammers fans I know were bricking themselves of relegation deep into the season. Up until they beat United 1-0 in early May. They were already into the semi finals if the ECL so very much doubt were prioritising it.

Think your theory is driven by the known outcome tbh.
I'm not saying that their league form was irrelevant just given the context of their season it's understandable that their form suffered as I believed they were focusing on the ECL and don't have the quality and breadth of squad to focus strongly on two competitions.

On the wider point they finished 6th and 7th on their previous two seasons, qualifying them for Europe. I don't think describing that as doing so badly is really a fair and unbiased view of their recent progress imo.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

I'm not saying that their league form was irrelevant just given the context of their season it's understandable that their form suffered as I believed they were focusing on the ECL and don't have the quality and breadth of squad to focus strongly on two competitions.

On the wider point they finished 6th and 7th on their previous two seasons, qualifying them for Europe. I don't think describing that as doing so badly is really a fair and unbiased view of their recent progress imo.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk
David Moyes has shaped them into a decent unit, just as he did Everton. They will likely have some decent seasons (6th to 9th) when lucky with injuries and likely have some relegation scraps when less lucky with injuries or going through a bit of a transition season trying to integrate a few new players.

I'm not sure they lose significant money right through 99 years after the event. The stadium build costs are all now sunken costs. There is a simple way to avoid the future costs and that is to get rid of the stadium. It actually makes massive financial sense now due to the deal being done being such a bad one previously.

Very Very rare that any Olympic games or stadia goes on to make any kind of break even, in many cases, like Rio its pretty much bankrupted the government there is a huge history of Olympic legacy debt over the world, its one of the well known issues about hosting them, including the winter ones which are often worse. It cost 13bn to host the games here, nowhere near made any of that back even with the factual and speculated vague incomes that governments peg to them to make them seem a success. Governments don't look at the long term nature of the costs they take the east route and put a yearly budget together like any council do to cover the costs of a publicly funded site so its not seen as a traditional loss, thats what they do for the upkeep of the park under the LLDC. You are right about the costs growing as the years go on but then again so will the activities that the park undertakes to offset the costs moving forward, the LLDC are now venturing into other schemes to make money like the film industry, I know because I got to the last round of interviews of a job managing the park for them, the money they look to bring in for filming is huge. There are other social enterprises like the GLL which hosts sporting events like boxing which makes money so it is all seen as one enterprise.

As long as they host athletics and have a sporting legacy there even at a 15m loss, It won't be seen as a huge black hole because as I say, Olympics as with many major sporting events are bid for with a huge lump of faith and the perceptions value just as much or more than the fiscal.

As I say, in the long term I could well be wrong and you could be right, they could well flog it off, but I don't see it and I certainly don't see it anytime soon.

Anyway, its taken the overall topic off piste so thats my closing statement hahaha

David Moyes has shaped them into a decent unit, just as he did Everton. They will likely have some decent seasons (6th to 9th) when lucky with injuries and likely have some relegation scraps when less lucky with injuries or going through a bit of a transition season trying to integrate a few new players.

He will have to have a good start to the season as their fans wanted him out and are still taking a waking brief on how it starts next season.

Wasn't there talk in the last year or two about building/renovating a smaller 20k or something Athletics track in Crystal Palace or somewhere. I'm sure they said something about Athletics wanting to leave the Olympic Stadium and it would be better to have something smaller with a better atmosphere that could be solely dedicated to Athletics and also be used as a training facility etc.
I don't know, Would need to Google lol

EDIT:
Yet could the future of athletics events at the venue that hosted the 2012 Olympics and where West Ham moved in 2016 hold the key for the stadium 13 miles down the road? While the Diamond League will finally return to Stratford for the first time in four years this summer, UK Athletics held preliminary discussions last year with owners the London Legacy Development Corporation over ending its 50-year agreement to stage an annual event at the London Stadium. A settlement payment of between £10m and £15m was said to have been proposed, which would enable UKA to take its events to other stadiums, such as Alexander Stadium in Birmingham or even a renovated Crystal Palace.

Last edited:
Over the remaining 90 odd years of the lease that is £900m to £1.35b (and I would imagine the losses will only increase as the stadium dates and upkeep becomes more expensive.

Giving it to West Ham and keeping a certain number of dates free for 'community use' that they pay no fee for is likely to look like a good idea at some point in the future IMO. Ideally they would instead look to sell on the land but the 90 years West Ham have remaining on the lease makes that nigh on impossible.

They wanted to give it to West Ham, IIRC we took it to court that forced them to not be able to "give it away"

I'm quite sure any attempt to suddenly change that would be back to court

Back