• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cann we?

Hang about. We did go on to win the FA Cup twice and the European Cup Winners Cup so not all gloom and doom.

Remember also the best days of Danny Blanchflower, Bobby Smith and Les Allen were soon behind them. John White was killed by lightning, Bill Brown had to be moved on and Dave Mackay suffered a broken leg three times.

So maybe it's fans of a team that won four major trophies in three seasons who should be labelled pure Tottenham.
This is pure Tottenham.

Hang about. We did go on to win the FA Cup twice and the European Cup Winners Cup so not all gloom and doom.

Remember also the best days of Danny Blanchflower, Bobby Smith and Les Allen were soon behind them. John White was killed by lightning, Bill Brown had to be moved on and Dave Mackay suffered a broken leg three times.

So maybe it's fans of a team that won four major trophies in three seasons who should be labelled pure Tottenham.

Not saying there wasn't reasons, and most were very valid ones, or that it was a total failure, but it's not difficult to say we under achieved with the team we had.

Not saying there wasn't reasons, and most were very valid ones, or that it was a total failure, but it's not difficult to say we under achieved with the team we had.

We were the richest club in Europe at the time, champions and we signed the Messi of the era. Its totally Spurs to not win another title from then on. We can say it light hearted, it be true and us still love the club

For me it all comes down to ways of seeing. Instead of ruing perceived failures I'd much rather focus on our achievements. Glass half full vs glass half empty.

Just imagine how we'd be feeling if we were Everton or Nottingham Forest right now.

Toon have not won the League since 1927, nor the FA Cup since 1955 nor the League Cup ever. No sooner do they believe they've won the lottery with the Saudi Sportswashing takeover than PSR comes along to put a spanner in their works.

It's time some fans grew up. We're not the only ones unfairly thwarted by outrageous fortune.

For me it all comes down to ways of seeing. Instead of ruing perceived failures I'd much rather focus on our achievements. Glass half full vs glass half empty.

Just imagine how we'd be feeling if we were Everton or Nottingham Forest right now.

Toon have not won the League since 1927, nor the FA Cup since 1955 nor the League Cup ever. No sooner do they believe they've won the lottery with the Saudi Sportswashing takeover than PSR comes along to put a spanner in their works.

It's time some fans grew up. We're not the only ones unfairly thwarted by outrageous fortune.

We all love our club and bask it its glories, its why most of us support and love the club. We can also talk about the best with honesty though whilst celebrating our successes. Got absolutely nothing to do with "growing up"

We all love our club and bask it its glories, its why most of us support and love the club. We can also talk about the best with honesty though whilst celebrating our successes. Got absolutely nothing to do with "growing up"
Were you around in the early '60swhen Spurs won the League and Cup Double then followed it up with an FA Cup and the ECWC?
I was. Although in my teens and living mostly in Reading I managed to get to a fair few games. Tottenham were mostly brilliant to watch and it was a fantastic time to be a Spurs fan, so I find it sad that nowadays some fans prefer to take the gloss off it retrospectively by focusing on what they perceive as a failure to achieve even more.

It's hard not to conclude that some fans will NEVER EVER be satisfied.

End of rant. Thank you. :cool:

Were you around in the early '60swhen Spurs won the League and Cup Double then followed it up with an FA Cup and the ECWC?
I was. Although in my teens and living mostly in Reading I managed to get to a fair few games. Tottenham were mostly brilliant to watch and it was a fantastic time to be a Spurs fan, so I find it sad that nowadays some fans prefer to take the gloss off it retrospectively by focusing on what they perceive as a failure to achieve even more.

It's hard not to conclude that some fans will NEVER EVER be satisfied.

End of rant. Thank you. :cool:

Some clearly won't but I think you have taken a quote from someone who is not like that and got something off your chest thats been building up hahaha.

Anyway COYS

I don't follow spurs for trophies, it's about a lot more than that for me.
If I wanted the glory of trophies I could easily have followed one of my local teams and saw as many trophies in five years than Spurs have won in decades.
It was my rangers supporting father who watched spurs knock rangers out of the cup winners cup at ibrox and said it was the best team he'd ever seen.
When I heard that in the early 70s when I was about 7 it stuck with and spurs have been my team ever since.
It's tough explaining the different times, for instance getting the "youngsters" to understand that when I was a kid football wasn't "on tap" the way it is now.
If I was lucky I'd see one live spurs game a season on TV and maybe a few highlights. There was no English match reports in the Sunday papers unless it was for Liverpool or man utd.
You had the result, goalscorers and the table, that was it.
I'm a realist when it comes to spurs, if we don't fudge it up fate will find away to fudge it up for us.

I don't follow spurs for trophies, it's about a lot more than that for me.
If I wanted the glory of trophies I could easily have followed one of my local teams and saw as many trophies in five years than Spurs have won in decades.
It was my rangers supporting father who watched spurs knock rangers out of the cup winners cup at ibrox and said it was the best team he'd ever seen.
When I heard that in the early 70s when I was about 7 it stuck with and spurs have been my team ever since.
It's tough explaining the different times, for instance getting the "youngsters" to understand that when I was a kid football wasn't "on tap" the way it is now.
If I was lucky I'd see one live spurs game a season on TV and maybe a few highlights. There was no English match reports in the Sunday papers unless it was for Liverpool or man utd.
You had the result, goalscorers and the table, that was it.
I'm a realist when it comes to spurs, if we don't fudge it up fate will find away to fudge it up for us.
Keep the faith. Our time will come again - hopefully under Ange.

Exactly, not seen anyone complain if we were to get CL. But all this worrying about does 5th place get CL, if you're coming 5th when you've had literally no other cup competitions to focus on all year then you really aren't CL ready anyway.

Have seen some fantastic ties and atmospheres in the Europa League knockout stages, and after a season of having no Europe at all I would certainly embrace it....
Not CL ready based on this year's team. But the team is not going to remain stagnant. Next year it will be a different, more improved team, which may very well be CL ready, but have to settle for playing in Europa instead. Villa may finish 4th, but I bet you they will be less CL ready next year than us.

There is a hierarchy of trophies in European football just like there is in domestic football, that doesn’t mean they are not worth winning, especially when we haven’t actually won them or anything for that matter for 15 years. You could argue that there are too many teams in those competitions but I’d swap an EL or ECL for top 4 this season.
I doubt that this is the way Ange is thinking about it. He is planning on making us competitive to win the big trophies and in no way sees winning a League Cup or the ECL as a stepping stone in that direction. If it happens, great, but I doubt that is what he is thinking. He didn't come here to put just any trophy in our cabinet; he came to challenge for the league and the CL.

Not CL ready based on this year's team. But the team is not going to remain stagnant. Next year it will be a different, more improved team, which may very well be CL ready, but have to settle for playing in Europa instead. Villa may finish 4th, but I bet you they will be less CL ready next year than us.

As much as I would like CL I would be content with EL if we go in it to win, which I think Ange will.
We may not be currently ready for CL but we will strengthen and because most other teams are straitened financially they will at best be standing still.
It will be at least another season before we can have serious ambitions for winning the CL, but we could win the EL next season and for that reason alone I would quite happily settle for EL.

I doubt that this is the way Ange is thinking about it. He is planning on making us competitive to win the big trophies and in no way sees winning a League Cup or the ECL as a stepping stone in that direction. If it happens, great, but I doubt that is what he is thinking. He didn't come here to put just any trophy in our cabinet; he came to challenge for the league and the CL.

I hope he wants to win all of them. I get that every club prioritises at times but that doesn’t mean we can’t go out to win everything like the big clubs do. This picking and choosing and putting all our eggs in two baskets hasn’t worked for 15 years. He even said getting top 4 isn’t the be all and end all. I hope we’re now moving away from that mentality where top 4 is considered a success regardless of whether we win anything.

Only just noticed we are guaranteed a Top Half finish now. And by the time we next step on the pitch I think it will be at least 8th place

We now cannot be caught by the following - nailed-on top-half finish. Woohoo !

----- gw34 Brighthelmstone - we've still 2 games in hand
----- gw34 Wolves
----- gw32 Fulham
----- gw31 Palarse
----- gw30 Brentford
----- gw30 Everton
----- gw29 Nottingham Forest
----- gw28 Luton
----- gw27 Burnley
----- gw27 Sheffield Utd

Mind you, should Villa win on Saturday we'll be 9pts adrift - albeit with 3 games in hand - going into the trans-thames game

So Villa have Chelski (H), Brighton (A), Liverpool (H) and Palace (A) as their final fixtures. They'll probably dispose of Chelski and Palace easily, I suspect. Especially Chelski, who are saving themselves for their upcoming cup final.

Our best hope will be that the conference league semi finals will strain Villa enough that they will lose against both Brighton and Pool. Not very likely, but stranger things have happened.

That means four wins from six could be enough, but we still have some catching up to do with our goal difference.

Realistically we'll probably need five wins from Arse (H), Chelski (A), Pool (A), Burnley (H), City (H) and Sheffield United (A) to hope to snatch fourth place.

Knowing us, we'll probably end up needing three points at Bramall Lane to secure fourth. And then something completely unimaginable happens to deny us CL next season.

So Villa have Chelski (H), Brighton (A), Liverpool (H) and Palace (A) as their final fixtures. They'll probably dispose of Chelski and Palace easily, I suspect. Especially Chelski, who are saving themselves for their upcoming cup final.

Our best hope will be that the conference league semi finals will strain Villa enough that they will lose against both Brighton and Pool. Not very likely, but stranger things have happened.

That means four wins from six could be enough, but we still have some catching up to do with our goal difference.

Realistically we'll probably need five wins from Arse (H), Chelski (A), Pool (A), Burnley (H), City (H) and Sheffield United (A) to hope to snatch fourth place.

Knowing us, we'll probably end up needing three points at Bramall Lane to secure fourth. And then something completely unimaginable happens to deny us CL next season.

Palace will give them a good game - much improved under the new manager. More chance of beating pool at home than Palace away on current form imo

Back