• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

bricky Ratings

I'm just a defender who gets tinkled off when players work their arse off for 90 mins, and some forward/AM does two good kicks all game and gets lauded.

I never rate 'luxury' players (usually Defoe) very highly, and today Bale was one of those (where he's not usually - he clearly wasn't properly fit).

To be honest I think Bale goes missing a lot in the middle and it often seems like we're carrying him until he pops up with that little bit of magic. That is the difference between him and Defoe, Bale does it nearly every game from that position whereas Defoe rarely does.

I generally agree with your views on Defoe, but I think today he was used correctly, to his strengths and to the benefit of the team, at a time where Adebayor's strengths were becoming less desirable. From the start, especially at home, I agree he is too much of a 'luxury' to warrant being picked over Adebayor, but today was the perfect situation for him to come on and nick a goal and he did exactly that - let's face it, Adebayor was never going to score.

To be honest I think Bale goes missing a lot in the middle and it often seems like we're carrying him until he pops up with that little bit of magic. That is the difference between him and Defoe, Bale does it nearly every game from that position whereas Defoe rarely does.

I generally agree with your views on Defoe, but I think today he was used correctly, to his strengths and to the benefit of the team, at a time where Adebayor's strengths were becoming less desirable. From the start, especially at home, I agree he is too much of a 'luxury' to warrant being picked over Adebayor, but today was the perfect situation for him to come on and nick a goal and he did exactly that - let's face it, Adebayor was never going to score.

Yes - I agree with the sub and the time it was made. And yes, Defoe's 4 touches in 20 mins wouldn't have been acceptable in the first half.

As an impact sub for the last 15-20 mins, Defoe can be an asset in our squad.

Hugo Lloris 7 - A couple of important moments for Hugo today, solid.
Kyle Walker 6 - Questions about his positioning for their goal, but he battled well and made some good forward runs.
Michael Dawson 6 - Against Dzeko and Tevez did a decent enough job, does tend to switch his brain off at times.
Jan Vertonghen 6 - Decent game from Superjan, he just needs a better partner one where he's not having to worry about covering.
Benoit Assou-Ekotto 5 - Struggled again today and came very close to a stupid sending off.
Clint Dempsey 6 - I can't deny the guy comes up with vital goals, but he offers very little else on the field. Did improve once he swapped wings.
Scott Parker 5 - Parker's energy and commitment is commendable, but his skills are better suited to a relegation battle than a push for CL.
Mousa Dembélé 6 - Sideways passing may make your pass completion stats look good, but I wanted much more drive from Mousa. Did improve once given more freedom in the 2nd half.
Gylfi Sigurdsson 5 - Very little came off for him, poor decision making back to the Siggy we saw previous to his recent run of good form.
Gareth Bale 7 - Played his best when played as an inside forward after the formation change, assist and a goal.
Emmanuel Adebayor 5 - I don't care if he is out of form, he should be working his ass off for the team but I see very little desire it's all half hearted.

Jermain Defoe 7 - Did more in his short cameo than Ade had bothered to do all game i.e shoot at goal.
Lewis Holtby 7 - Energy, grit and desire to win.
Tom Huddlestone 7 - He got the space as the game opened up to use those Hoddle like feet.

Lets not hide the fact that for 70 minutes we were pretty clueless unable to break City down, it took a change in formation and the introduction of the subs to change the game and pose City problems. Master stroke by AVB? Or just good fortune? Either way I'm one happy Spurs supporter tonight.

i enjoyed this game very much and thought it was a better victory than the man u one for a few reasons:
1. real team performance that came back from a goal down to win emphatically
2. a plan B that really worked
3. faith in non-starting players that paid off
in other words - a perfect game.

Hugo Lloris 8 - brave and inspiring
Kyle Walker 8 - never say die attitude and drive kept us going... the tradeoff was a deliberate one and paid off
Michael Dawson 8- not just brawn today, showed some exquisite long range inch perfect passes too
Jan Vertonghen 7 - possibly at fault for being over enthusiastic for the first goal, but solid for the rest of the game
Benoit Assou-Ekotto 8 - stuck his foot in and showed Man c we meant business - so important for morale; an inspiring leadership by example role
Clint Dempsey 8 - does what he does best scores, and he has done so with important goals for us consistently
Scott Parker 7 - sure not at his peak but still giving his best and not giving superstars like toure and nazri any face, torturing them and dispossessing them regularly
Mousa Dembélé 8 - super surging drives paid off in the second half; him walker and BAE all strolling into the Man C defence at will, pegging them back
Gylfi Sigurdsson 7 - solid hardworking performance - ran his socks off against a Man C team intent on defending in numbers
Gareth Bale 9 - rusty in the first half, but that was all it took to get back up to speed to get an assist and a goal
Emmanuel Adebayor 7 - ran tirelessly across the width of the pitch, and got his foot stuck in to give the Man C guys something to think about.
Jermain Defoe 8 - did what he was supposed to do - run the channels and shoot
Lewis Holtby 8 - his energy sealed the win but it was his vision that won it for us.
Tom Huddlestone 8 - looked more energetic and faster and got stuck in with fabulous close control and that touch and vision winning it for us

AVB - perfect 10 for formation, strategy, tactics, subs and Plan B. Best of all giving all the credit to the players.

Lloris 6
Walker 7
Dawson 6
Vertonghen 6
Assou-Ekotto 7
Parker 6
Dembele 6
Dempsey 6
Bale 7
Sigurðsson 5
Adebayor 4

Huddlestone 8
Holtby 7
Defoe 7

Due to circumstances totally beyond my control, I can only base my ratings on the last 70+ minutes of the game, due to a person being hit by a train at Hanwell (I was stuck behind it).

Lloris 7 - great save in the first half, commanding presence.

Walker 7 - best performance for some time.
Dawson 6.5 - wears his heart on his sleeve, should stay on his feet more often.
Vertonghen 7.5 - did anyone see him weave his way past 3 Emirates Marketing Project players in the second half?
BAE 6 - overran in the first half, more involved in the second.

Parker 6 - he works his rear off for the team, but he slows us down.
Dembele 7 - seemed to get more freedom when THudd came on?

Bale 7.5 - clever use of him on the right flank, 'Messi-esque' finish for the third.
Dempsey 7 - I thought he should have made way for Defoe, but I am glad I was totally wrong.
Sigurdsson 6.5 - worked his rear off again and he can deliver a mean corner.

Adebayor 6 - he works his rear off for the team, but I wish he could remain in the middle more often.

Subs:

Holtby 7 - upped the tempo, harried the Emirates Marketing Project midfield and gave THudd and Dembele the licence to do their thing!
Huddlestone 8 - (MoTM) his laser guided passes were a joy to behold today.
Defoe 7 - one chance, one goal, looked lively.

AVB 9 - out thought Mancini today, subs came on at the right time. (Special mention to Freund - what a legend)

Fans 8 - for the last 25/30 minutes we were awesome, but edgy before that.

i enjoyed this game very much and thought it was a better victory than the man u one for a few reasons:
1. real team performance that came back from a goal down to win emphatically
2. a plan B that really worked
3. faith in non-starting players that paid off
in other words - a perfect game.

Hugo Lloris 8 - brave and inspiring
Kyle Walker 8 - never say die attitude and drive kept us going... the tradeoff was a deliberate one and paid off
Michael Dawson 8- not just brawn today, showed some exquisite long range inch perfect passes too
Jan Vertonghen 7 - possibly at fault for being over enthusiastic for the first goal, but solid for the rest of the game
Benoit Assou-Ekotto 8 - stuck his foot in and showed Man c we meant business - so important for morale; an inspiring leadership by example role
Clint Dempsey 8 - does what he does best scores, and he has done so with important goals for us consistently
Scott Parker 7 - sure not at his peak but still giving his best and not giving superstars like toure and nazri any face, torturing them and dispossessing them regularly
Mousa Dembélé 8 - super surging drives paid off in the second half; him walker and BAE all strolling into the Man C defence at will, pegging them back
Gylfi Sigurdsson 7 - solid hardworking performance - ran his socks off against a Man C team intent on defending in numbers
Gareth Bale 9 - rusty in the first half, but that was all it took to get back up to speed to get an assist and a goal
Emmanuel Adebayor 7 - ran tirelessly across the width of the pitch, and got his foot stuck in to give the Man C guys something to think about.
Jermain Defoe 8 - did what he was supposed to do - run the channels and shoot
Lewis Holtby 8 - his energy sealed the win but it was his vision that won it for us.
Tom Huddlestone 8 - looked more energetic and faster and got stuck in with fabulous close control and that touch and vision winning it for us

AVB - perfect 10 for formation, strategy, tactics, subs and Plan B. Best of all giving all the credit to the players.

=D> A little over generous with the marks perhaps, but for me the best analysis so far. So many perceptive observations.

Thank you.

Lloris: 7 - Solid, not much to do, lost 0.5 for some bewildering distribution attempts.

Walker: 5 - So what? He made one simple pass that allowed Bale to do what Kyle himself should have been doing all game and deliver a decent cross! He's very limited defensively; some terrible loose passing and a couple of horrible attempted clearances that nearly resulted in goals. He's stupidly predictable going forward, dumb stepovers followed by lame attempts to cut inside, the few times this actually came off he crossed to the first defender every time. Oh he can run really fast though and makes spectacular recovery challenges brought on by his stupidly poor positioning anyway. He's great. Not. Must replace. Plus he should have scored. I don't like to be negative after wins, but this pea brain is not good enough for spurs.

Verts: 7.5 - Strong as usual, a few shaky moments against Tevez though.

Daws: 8 - Absolutely outstanding. Fantastic leader and works hard at setting a quality example for the rest of the team.

BAE: 7.5 - Back to his best I thought. Solid and assured, his delivery was threatening and without 'running really fast in a straight line' he still managed to beat his defender more regularly than cactus head.

Stiggerson: 6 - Never got into the game. Tried hard but nothing came off for him. Rightly subbed.

Parker: 6.5 - See above. Plus .5 for getting into the game a bit more. Just wish he'd move things along quicker than he does.

Dembele: 7.5 - Solid if unspectacular.

Dempsey: 8 - Scores important goals, that can't be argued. Been extremely valuable this season. Also played some truly delightful passes, one in particular that cactus head squandered.

Bale: 8.5 - MOTM. We missed you Gareth. Took a while to get going, but a goal and assist. The obvious choice.

Ade: 6.5 - Nowhere near as bad as the haters are making out. Some rusty touches, but he had poor service and he actually won the majority of 50/50 aerial battles he contested, held the ball up, spread the play when he could. He would have thrived if allowed to play with Hudds forward vision on the pitch.

Holtby: 7.5 - Energy, energy, energy. Quality little player.

Defoe: 7 - Scored and made one pass. Take the goal away and I'd have given him a 4.5.

Thudd: 8.25 - Changed the game, lovely technique and showed that he can do a defensive job when required also. Should start next game ahead of Parker.

AVB: 10 - Love the man.

Lloris -7 - solid

BAE - 5 - poor display, could have been sent off for a silly tackle, watched Milner walk passed him for a goal. Hoping we finally address this position in the summer
Dawson -7 - did a job
Vert - 7 - fought hard
Walker - some good deliveries

Sig - 6 - offered little
Parker - 6 - caught in possession on occasions
Demspey - 7 - crucial goal
Dembele - 7 - great movement throughout
Bale - 7 - great finish

Ade - 5 - isolated

Holtby / Hudd / Defoe - 7 - positive impact

Last edited:
Strange no one has yet commented (unless I missed it) on the brilliance of Holtby's passing. Everyone bangs on and on about his energy, which is fair enough, but far more significant is his eye for a pass. Yesterday he showed what huge potential he has for producing game-changing beauties like the one into the path of Defoe for his goal.

Lloris 7 - this guy is class
Walker 6 - he has his glaring faults but he is an athlete and his head never drops ( another stupid cross field ball again yesterday )
Dawson 7 - htf people criticise him is beyond belief, terrific cross field ball second half which lead to a goal.
Vertonghen 7 - simply class
Ekotto 5 - I like Benny but sometimes he does my head in.
Dempsey 7 - Gritty workhorse.
Parker 6 - done his usual job but limits us creatively.
Dembele 6 - done good.
Sigurdsson 5 - tough one, where is he supposed to play?
Bale 8 - influenced the game like all good players do.
Adebayor 4 - I have had it with Ade.

Huddlestone 8 - quick forward passing and composure.
Holtby 8 - quick passing and good energy.
Defoe 7 - killer second goal and good movement.

AVB 8 - did not panic, clever subs.

Hugo Lloris 7 - A couple of nice saves kept us in it
Kyle Walker 8 - thought he played brilliantly
Michael Dawson 6 - OK, caught out a few times
Jan Vertonghen 6.5 solid
Benoit Assou-Ekotto 5.5 did OK not his best lucky not to get sent off
Clint Dempsey 8 worked hard, brilliant ball for Walker and a vital goal
Scott Parker 5 - not his best day
Mousa Dembélé 7 - thought he played pretty well, some great closing down throughout
Gylfi Sigurdsson 5 - not his day
Gareth Bale 7 - thought he was pretty poor most of the match but vital 10 minute spell which made the difference
Emmanuel Adebayor 4 - shocking

Jermain Defoe 8 - great goal
Lewis Holtby 7.5 - his energy lifted us
Tom Huddlestone 8 changed the game, best appearance for us in years

Lloris - 7 - Neat save in 1st half from Tevez.
Walker - 6.5 - Should've been marking Nasri instead of dropping off onto the line, some decent forward runs
Dawson - 7 - Great 40 yard pass to BAE in build up to first goal.
Vertonghen - 7 - Composed.
Ekotto - 6.5 - Lucky not to get a red card for lunge, looks a bit rusty.
Dempsey - 7 - Nice through ball to Walker, popped up with another tap in.
Parker - 6 - Works hard but lacks quality.
Dembele - 6.5 - Looked better after the change in set-up.
Sigurdsson - 6 - Decent shift.
Bale - 8 - Subdued until near the end then pops up with a great cross and tidy goal.
Adebayor - 6 - Left isolated up front.

Huddlestone - 7.5 - Sublime passing, especially the inch perfect through ball for Bale's goal.
Holtby - 7.5 - Full of energy and moves the ball so much faster than Parker, nice through ball to Defoe for his goal.
Defoe - 7 - Well taken goal.

Lloris 8 - Practically faultless. The Tevez header save was better than it looked.
Walker 7.5 - Bar a few stray balls I though he was good again today. I never realised but he has a wicked long throw in as well.
Dawson 7 - Solid. Captain.
Vertonghen 8 - At one point in the 2nd half he beat three City players one after the other to keep possession. Absolutley no point playing him at LB. He's no good at it.
Ekotto 6.5 - Although the two footer was rash to say the least I did notice that Benny was well up for the match. It's a welcome change in attitude but he has to be cleverer with his aggression. Good 2nd half.
Dempsey 7 - Some great moments but also slipped in and out of the game as he is prone to do.
Parker 6 - The obvious ball is the correct one 9 times out of 10 and he never seems to take it. Too late to teach new tricks for this old dog methinks but if he released the ball quicker he would be much much more effective.
Dembele 7 - Did ok before the subs but looked a changed player when Hudd came on.
Sigurdsson 5 - Poor outing marred by numerous mis-controls and wayward distribution. Did not look sharp today I have to say.
Bale 8 - He had some good moments but I thought he was rather poor for the 1st hour to be honest. I assumed he wasn't 100% fit but I was wrong. Influenced the game significantly in the last 25mins or so and made AVB cry.
Ade 6 - As an isolated lone front man I'm not sure that chasing around after the ball was the best use of his energy. On 2nd watching of the match, he wasn't as bad as I thought.

Huddlestone 8 - With Holtby, turned the game on its head today. His passing opens up the whole pitch for us.
Holtby 7 - One of his best games for us. Good progressive play and energetic chasing down.
Defoe 7 - Please be the start of a scoring run. Please.

Lloris 7

Walker 7
Dawson 7
Vertonghen 7
Ekotto 6

Parker 6
Dembele 6

Dempsey 7
Bale 7.5
Sigurdsson 6

Adebayor 5

Holtby/Hudd/Defoe 7